Mercedes vito W639 111cdi dual mass flywheel vibrations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gtelee

Car
Mercedes vito
Hi guys, I really could use some help in diagnosing a vibration issue I have on my vito. I bought it 4 months ago with a very lightly slipping clutch ( only slipped if you were hammering it up a hill in a high gear) so I had my local indy fit a new clutch, they said the flywheel had a small amount of play in it, but in there opinion it was acceptable! Upto this point I had done very little mileage in the van, however I had noticed some driveline vibration when accelerating. This vibration has only got worse, so far in an attempt to cure it, it has had a new propshaft, engine mount and full set of tyres. Al of these have helped it to be a little smoother but not changed the basic vibration. There is no obvious rattling or noise from the flywheel or bell housing area when idling or driving, but having read other people's issues you don't necessarily have that. The van has 130,000 miles on it and seems to drive and go well, but the these vibes are driving me mental! It was also worse when under heavy loads towing a caravan. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Gtelee
Did you ever solve this problem as it sounds similar to my W639. I suspected my DMF flywheel but not sure.
regards
Kev

Ha! Mine Too...

I have this vibration too.. and I've done the same as you have changed the propshaft etc etc..

So can you tell me:

1/ Does the Vibration appear in the brake pedal ?

2/ Do you think its front or rear of the van..mine is constantly rear..

3/ Take the van out on a straight stretch of road, take her up to say 50mph.. then dip the clutch and let her roll but keeping the clutch in - where is the vibration now?

Hi
I haven't touched or examined my driveshaft or carriers yet. i have changed my rear tyres as one was buckled, and this dramatically improved the vibration. I don't feel the vibration in the brake pedal or clutch pedal either. My vibration is hard to pinpoint but feels somewhere in the region of the middle to rear of the van. I have already discovered the vibration is only under load and between 2000-3000rpm with worst being felt around 2500rpm.

Are you able to get underneath it tomorrow and grab the UJ's (either end of the Propshaft) and look for free play ( Up/Down - Left/Right)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks Shoozz, at the minute my old vans in the shed as I'm doing a couple of things to it to get it ready to sell. Once its out i plan to get the vito in on the lift to check that out as i have read about the ujs and carrier bearings producing vibration when worn, Weather here not suitable recently for outdoor crawling around under van. Hopefully that will be the case as its the cheapest handiest fix. By any chance as you seem to know these vitos well did you ever come across LA:17 code flashing on the instrument cluster for 30 seconds or so after startup. Van seems to be running ok, it was a hire lease van in its previous life with 150k on the clock and its also limited to 80mph i have discovered. only guess to that fault code is maybe a DPF problem?. A lot of forums for merc vans seem to be poorly supported. Anyways going to get some shut eye. Talk later
Kind regards
Kev

I have bought a icarsoft i980 fault code reader. i managed to pull numerous codes regarding low voltage to different circuits. I cleared most of them but they kept resurfacing. the reason i think they are doing it is because of another fault on the readings from the engine side. I have not worked on the van yet but the fault code is "communication error between the starter or Alternator has a malfunction". reading on the internet there seems to be an issue with chaffing around the loom running over the top of the engine and at another 2 points. The other code is "A1 (instrument cluster (KI)) . Warning light A1 E17 ( EOBD indicator lamp) is faulty. I haven't got a clue what that one is about but could be coming from the communication error of the first code or from the low voltage. The low voltage could be a faulty alternator as watching the live voltage while ticking over after startup didn't get above 11.9 volts. it was only when i revved the van the voltage returned to normal. Sorry if this is a bit too much information. but i thought i would give a heads up to somebody else on this fault code as i cant find any reference to this anywhere on the net.
Just to add Google Mercedes code U0120 which points out faulty starter or alternator or faulty or open loom to either starter or alternator

Last edited:
Finally got to bottom of vibration although I suspected from shortly after the above posts that it was a damaged alloy with a bit of a flat spot. Finally got a set of different alloys and vibration is gone. it only happened around 60-70 mph bit like a out of balance wheel but hard to pinpoint due to it nature of effects of vibration and fact I didn't feel it so much through steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom