1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

Mercedes W114 250 Coupe - help!

Discussion in 'MBClub Projects' started by Charles Morgan, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alpina B3 Cabrio, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6 & Volvo XC60 D4
    One of my neighbours, a retired mechanic, has a 1968 250 W114 Coupe in his garage that he has been restoring but he's now too old and is looking to see it go to a new home. I saw it today, it is sound, all the parts bar the front wings are there (they had been replaced by pattern parts which rusted), bodywork sound with superficial rust, new inner wings, interior dusty with trim off but sound - lovely Zebrano - paint job (white) is poor so would have to be done. He's kept the engine with oil and turns it regularly.

He's not looking for anything for it but wants it to go to a good home. I could take it, but I know it will be something beyond my skills and to pay labour would kill the economics - I really don't know the market well but I'd struggle to see a value above £10k, which is what I think it might cost without any real difficulty.

I offered to help him find it a home, he's a lovely old chap with a real passion for cars, but has no real energy to get it gone, so won't be keen on endless tyre kickers (and too many time wasters if giving stuff away).

Anybody any thoughts?

2. grober

grober Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    This one advertised on Car and Classic for restoration [LHD incidentally] at £3950. Not one of Paul Paul Bracq's best imho. :eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  3. dinoy

dinoy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes of course
    i sold one recently for 2k needing work but had short mot

4. OP
    OP
    Charles Morgan

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alpina B3 Cabrio, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6 & Volvo XC60 D4
    I think I shall see how far away from running the car is, always easier to have a plan if the car is a known runner.

I have a real soft spot for a W114 as it was the first Mercedes I'd ever been in. I love the old school steering wheel and zebrano dash, those boxy lines are growing on me.

5. MCFastybloke

MCFastybloke Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '95 300d.BMW330d
    I love these old coupes,just no garage space left.

6. dinoy

Car:
    mercedes of course
    if it ok a runner and with mot my friend is willing to do a swap he can offer ml 320 lpg cabrio (lamella working roof)
    or
    no plate from collection
    or
    w124 convertible but cash my friends way or the car must be a stunner for str8 swap

but in all cases car must have mot as the ones on offer will come with mots

7. Spin_bowler

Spin_bowler Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    LR Discovery
    I think he's offering to give it away, given the content of the OP it doesn't sound like he needs a swapper.

8. dinoy

Car:
    mercedes of course
    oh i c if he is giving away my friend can join a list collect and rebuild but i am sure he is expecting monies his way

9. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    Pity about the horrible American headlamps and running lights in the wings .

10. OP
    OP
    Charles Morgan

Car:
    Are there any good W114 sites?

11. noy91

noy91 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL55 AMG Kompressor ('55)
    /8-dokumentacja Is the only one that comes to mind, and has some useful info for working on them.

Eight years old now, so the market may have changed, but a good general overview: Buyer's Guide: W114/115 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

This may actually be just the hobby project a friend is looking for, so will pass the details on.

12. OP
    OP
    Charles Morgan

Car:
    Update - a number of you have been in touch, for which many thanks.

I asked Tony the owner to give it a bit of a clean as like all old cars (especially white ones) being covered in 20 years of dust (that's how long he's had it in the garage) it looked far worse than it actually was.

As I can resist everything except temptation, this was a bad move. I have an immense affection for the W114 as it was in a W114 280E that I lost my Mercedes virginity - being driven in one at 130 mph down the Autostrada from Rome at the age of 11 by a friend of my father's German Colonel friend has rather stuck in my mind.

Add in being plied with home made mince pies (with almonds and sherry), the desire to own a proper old Merc and I have indicated I'll take over storing and restoring it. I really hadn't intended this when I posted this thread!

Apart from wings it has everything. I've just spent the afternoon polishing the radiator grill. I'm a sucker for chrome...(all of which is there in good nick). Apologies to all.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  13. DSM10000

DSM10000 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C320 saloon MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    Having such a memorable connection as you have it is surely fate that the opportunity has been laid before you?

If you can bring the rest of the car to the same standard as you have achieved with your efforts of today then you will truly have a remarkable and cherished car to enjoy.

Well done that man!

1 person likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Charles Morgan

Car:
    The driver even had my first name - Karl (well Karl-Heinz). He was nuts - he missed the turning to Ostia because of our speed so did a U turn across the central section of the autostrada.

The car was a mid blue saloon with black MB tex and ice cool air-con. I had never been either that fast, in a Merc or in a car with air-con. Sure beat my Mother's Fiat 126!

Meanwhile, the odds on me screwing it up are considerably tighter than a successful outcome...

15. SPX

SPX Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    That one
    This threads like offering someone the chance to spend the night with Megan Fox and then deciding to award themselves the prize!

16. OP
    OP
    Charles Morgan

Car:
    Who's she?

17. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    Love that radiator grill, truly superb.

18. OP
    OP
    Charles Morgan

Car:
    I'm pleased with that. Snow foamed it, then after rinsing, cleaned all the individual cells of the grill with a cloth wrapped around a pencil. Then autosol chrome cleaner until all tarnish had gone (reasonable quantity of pitting from stone chips), then sealed with Hi-temp paste wax.

19. A-AvantGarde

A-AvantGarde Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2014 BMW F06 640d GC, 2007 Volvo XC90 3.2 (no Mercs at the mo!)
    Wow,
    Looks lovely, what a great project this will be :) looking forward to seeing more of the W114

20. OP
    OP
    Charles Morgan

Car:
    Deal done - he liked the cut of my jib from the radiator grill polishing, which he popped back over with a full Mercedes M110 service manual to say I think this is yours.

Mechanic friend of his coming in next week to get the car ready to move. It's in a garage at the back of the house opening onto a rutted, narrow and twisty back lane. I think this might be fun. Time to clear some space in my garage too!

A few images to tantalise:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.