Mercedes W114 250 Coupe - help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A W114 coupe is right at the top of my "go mad and get a classic car for my 50th" list so i`m looking forward to seeing the build thread

there will be one won`t there?

Last edited:
Good question Dee. They appear quite thin on the ground, there not being that many to start with and they have not had the values of other period cars.

Anyway, found out some more about mine. Odometer is reading 20600 miles but from chrome condition with a number of tiny pits I think it has been round the clock once. Tony found the car on a Devon farm 20 years ago and swapped it for some mechanical work. It's a 250 straight six with D Jetronic fuel injection (the one downside - I hated it in my Citroen SM). He made sure the car was sound then work got in the way and on retirement did quite a lot, but has run out of steam with a bad knee and would rather have the space for his model railway. He makes all his own rolling stock out of brass plate - his shed is an Aladdin's cave of stuff, including a full set of 50s Petrol coupons from the Suez crisis!

Interior looks to be red MBtex which should make the cleaning up considerably easier

114seat_zps0ab6b37a.jpg

Is there anything meaningful to be gained from entering the chassis number anywhere?

Last edited:
O man,it's got red interior :cool: I don't think it can get any cooler

I think I have a few trim bits n bobs left from my 280CE I failed to restore - Ill box them up and post them if you give me your address. Clips, knobs, screws stuff like that that you wont be able to find.

Have a look at the rear under the bumper behind the wheel, sort of where the mud splatters appear on the side. this panel rots badly. I have a pair in the rafters of the garage. And a left sill (for the 4 door but adaptable).

That's very kind Guy! PM will be on it's way imminently.

Bodywork (touching wood as I type) is very sound, but you never know until it gets up on a ramp.

Job for today is to continue the garage clear out and designing a trim receiving and cleaning station. The aim is to get all the trim stored in the car out, cleaned, labelled and properly stored before the car comes over.

thats a lovely colour Charles, especially with the red interior Charles

The OSF inner wing - renewed by Tony on both sides. The tyre might be a bit flat spotted though!

114flitch_zpsfb720e30.jpg

They do - I need both wings. They're pretty reasonable too.

they always rot in the mudtrap caused by the top surface and the headlamp shell. Lots and lots of underseal in there if i were you.

Yep - no real reviews on them online, but then, if they were carp, there would be many more!

I need to source some original wings for comparison, but I think until the car goes off to the body shop I can do without storing them!

Is there anything meaningful to be gained from entering the chassis number anywhere?

The EPC won't return anything of interest from this era vis-a-vis the datacard.
I do have in my collection a Chilton Repair and Tune-Up Guide for pre-1970 models which has a wealth of data and repair guides. If you pm me your Vin and engine type/number I'll see if it is relevant. :D

Aye Cap'n!

Haven't got the engine number yet. I'll risk being ambushed with more homemade mince pies today to get it.

Where does one find it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom