mercedes wheel corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NICKYB

Car
230 clk conv
Are all Mercedes wheels poor quality?
I have a 2000 plate clk conv 230k, i bought it about a month ago, it had 2 new wheels, they were changed because the coating/finish was bubbling turning white! Now it has 3 mint wheels and one that has started corroding.

I am now looking for 18”s I want Mercedes wheels as I feel these are the only wheels that should be fitted (who wants to see a mint clk cov with fox wheels NOT ME!) I am however being put off by this quality issue.

How many have had this problem? And what date car? It maybe a case that these have improved on newer models.

Also unlike many people on here with the money to buy any wheels they desire, being 23 and recently purchasing my first house i have a budget of £650. can get a nice set of 18"s for this, replica's are not a problem.
I realy like the splitrim style and the turbine/avaiator style.

Thanks

All lacquer only wheels suffer from this, and it appears that MB wheels suffer more than most.

You should be able to get replica 18's with tyres within you budget - you will need to shop around.

Why not have the wheels powder coated in one of the chrome paint finishes, MBs now use this process, £220 should cover the cost of all 4 wheels.

The worst thing that you can use on these wheels is the wheel cleaners.

My wheels were replaced under warranty when the car was two and a half years old. The front wheels were just starting to blister around the centre hub and wheel bolt area, this on an August 2004 registered car.

If it had been down to me I would have waited a bit longer but still not impressed that they don't last particularly long.

I now wash and wax and give the new ones a good scrub, in the hope to maximise their life.

Yep, I've just noticed the corrossion problem too, again around the centre hub. Seems like this is a well known/reported fault. Just within 3-year warranty and MB have agreed to replace with 2 new wheels.

I'm unsure if this is down to the cleaning products used though. The MB dealer certainly didn't think that. They thought damage during manufacture/fitting of wheels and I have never had a problem on other cars alloys using the same cleaning regime. In fact the fronts are OK on this car, just the backs that are effected.

Is there any real evidence that aggressive wheel cleaning products are to blame?

Last edited:
Just had my wheels replaced under warranty all 4 of them. They were suffering from minor corrosion on the spokes was not a lot but seeing as they could be replaced under warranty I wasnt going to say no :)

Having only just recently bought the car im not sure if cleaning products were to blame. The new wheels have now had a coat of rimwax and will get a few more coats when the car is washed.

I have always thought that brake dust was what caused damage to wheels and never thought that any cleaning product would damage them.

The wheels on my C Avantgarde are absolutely b******s. There were replace under warranty when 2 yrs old. 2yrs later they look crap again,

So in answer to your first question, from my experience the answer is yes.

Jon

All four of my car's wheels are corroded but one of the rears has a missing chunk of paint from the inside of a spoke!

I'm going to get them refurbished I think but will also get some wheels for summer.

In response to your budget and buying new wheels I recently bought 18" AMG replicas for my E-Class for £650 includiing tyres from Motorsport Wheels. Though the tyres are not one of the F1 brands I haven't had any issue with them so far dry or wet grip, obviously time will tell how long they last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom