metal tyre valve caps....

• Thread starter Deletedmember130310
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deletedmember130310

Quite a while ago, I bought a set of metal tyres valve caps with a MB logo on them.

it has been several weeks since I checked the car pressure,as the car hasn’t been used.

well, the metal cpas have seized themselves onto the metal valve stems and no amount of twisting and turning is getting them off. I’ve tried spraying with WD40 and the like but nothing is budging.

Looks like a trip to the local tyre dealer for new valves...

note to self - use some forrm of anti seize compound and remove the caps regularly...my own fault really.

or revert to plastic caps.

The genuine MB ones are (were) pretty good - IIRC they have a plastic insert for the thread. I say 'were' as they stopped making them a while back :(

I've got them on the SL but the set I had on the Vito were nicked while we were in Germany :rolleyes:

Get an angle grinder and very carefully buff down 1 side of the valve cap so it loosens and you can now unscrew it

Had the same thing happen.

Just stick with the plastic ones now, not worth the hassle.

Same here someone brought them for a christmas present thought they were cute until i had to get them off.

Plastic ones ever since.

Had them on my cars for a good while and never had this issue, maybe it’s something to do with the materials used.

I think you seem to have been unfortunate.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had this problem in the past, as others have said I now stick to plastic caps.

I had the same issue, I guess its galvanic corrosion between to different metals.
I used 2 pairs of mole grips to get them off, I use plastic now...

It really depends on the metal - I would only use brass, and have done so without any problems for over seven years now.
I do replace these about once a year (or when pinched by local yobs), but never use aluminium ones.

BTW, the [now discontinued] OEM long caps were aluminium, and were known to seize:

22846946268_825a8afced_o.jpg

I still have a brand new set, they look really nice, but I wouldn't use them without a compound.

Just fitted a set of TPMS ones - all metal, and seems a very good quality.

I bought fancy metal ones when I was super psyched about my ride many years ago...

As said, nobody will notice. Just put black plastic ones on it and worry about some other 1st world problem. :thumb:

BTW, the [now discontinued] OEM long caps were aluminium, and were known to seize

As mentioned I'm pretty sure the thread in those is a plastic insert, specifically to avoid that problem. I've been using them for 14 years and have never had one seize.

There were certainly 'lookalike' ones available on eBay etc. though which may not have been the same internally.

Ah, that's probably why I've seen reports, but never actually experienced the problem myself.
Just had a closer look at the new set (I bought a few sets from MB Newcastle in 2010) - these caps might actually be metal-coated plastic, with a clear thread and bottom of the cap (when viewed from inside).

Quite a while ago, I bought a set of metal tyres valve caps with a MB logo on them.

it has been several weeks since I checked the car pressure,as the car hasn’t been used.

well, the metal cpas have seized themselves onto the metal valve stems and no amount of twisting and turning is getting them off. I’ve tried spraying with WD40 and the like but nothing is budging.

Looks like a trip to the local tyre dealer for new valves...

note to self - use some forrm of anti seize compound and remove the caps regularly...my own fault really.

or revert to plastic caps.

Happened on the wifes BMW. If you don't fancy the angle grinder, i just used a hacksaw blade carefully in line with the valve and sliced down the cap.

Won't be using them again though!

I bought some similar to those GLK has posted, with the grub nut. The MB logos all fell off and I couldn't be ****d with having to use an allen key every time.

I've since put on some better metal ones that have a rubber insert and rubber valve seat and are fine to take on and off.

Just not worth it, especially with TPMS valves £180 a set.
Plastic for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom