metal tyre valve caps....

• Thread starter Deletedmember130310
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... to prevent the rubber valve twisting .
I have now all metal TPMS valves, so no more worrying about that :p
all I need is valve-caps :D
Abs, I have a few sets of plain silver and Mercedes branded metal caps, and stem metal covers, won't be using the former, as they are wrong weight for TPMS (too light, need 2.5g), and can't use the latter, obviously - you're more than welcome to a set - WhatsApp me :)

25922659768_338321e904_o.jpg

I have now all metal TPMS valves, so no more worrying about that :p

Abs, I have a few sets of plain silver and Mercedes branded metal caps, and stem metal covers, won't be using the former, as they are wrong weight for TPMS (too light, need 2.5g), and can't use the latter, obviously - you're more than welcome to a set - WhatsApp me :)

25922659768_338321e904_o.jpg
so kind, what a nice gesture !!

Sometimes i cannot believe how a simple thing like valve caps promotes so much discussion. Not knocking it, its a good thing.
But when you think someone posts a question like "help, engine blowing up" and gets no replies.

Hmmmm
Yes, because valve caps are quite simple to discuss , but a V8 that has swallowed one of its turbochargers while at full chat is a proper can of worms for us Luddites :confused:

Use plastic
My Dad bought a set of those metal ones that show when the pressure has dropped out of tyre (go from green to red) one of those seized on and he damaged the valve trying to remove it.

Bought some nice shiny metal valve caps from MB Listers on eBay back on November, as one of the original plastic caps with the nice star logo had been not put back on by a garage that mended, very nicely, a puncture for me. And us Mercedes owners like matching sets of everything on our beloved cards, right? [emoji16]

So, I get my car back after its first A service recently from MB Listers and I took a look through the printed service report. When it came to tyre pressures there was a comment "unable to remove valve caps" !!!!
Yes, their valve caps supplied, albeit aftermarket. The service manager did say that the rear tyres needed replacing (but nothing about the valves) as the thread was closer to the legal minimum, but they were unable to quote me as they couldn't order replacement tyres at this time.

I looked up the best, suitable tyres and seemed on Michelin Pilot Sport 4, got a good price from a local tyre place that I liked and the fitter did an excellent job of getting them off with WD40 and gentle wiggling of the caps, back and forth. One was very stubborn, was left for a while, then came off. Decent of them to do all 4 valve caps. He put copper grease on them. Glad of the help as I couldn't get them off and was beginning to get worried about whether the TPMS valves would have to be replaced.

After this, plastic only!

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

I've seen way too many seized caps to ever consider metal ones. The alloy on TPMS valves is pretty much guaranteed to react with metal caps and seize and the valves are not particularly cheap, not to mention the inconvenience when you are left stranded with a proken valve and no air in your tyre!

Are these any good or are they going to cause me some trouble?

Attachments

• P1000139 - Copy.JPG
    P1000139 - Copy.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom