Mice Attack Wiring Loom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

segovia

Car
E350
Mice ate away at my wiring loom on my 2012 E350, the loom that crosses the suspension area on the right of the engine compartment.

Main dealer is charging £600.00, is it worth shopping around for an independent ?

How hard is it to fit , can I do it myself ?

J

I had to do this many years ago on an XJS - nest right in the centre of the engine 'V'.

The best advice I can give is to bite the bullet and hand this over to a dealer or an indy with a good reputation such as PCS.

I would also recommend you go with a new wiring harness rather than repairing the old one.

Last of all, invest in some snap traps for the garage.:eek::eek:

On a 2012 E350 you will almost certainly need to get the car hooked up to STAR at some point. Check that anyone you go to has this facility.

Mice ate away at my wiring loom on my 2012 E350, the loom that crosses the suspension area on the right of the engine compartment.

Main dealer is charging £600.00, is it worth shopping around for an independent ?

How hard is it to fit , can I do it myself ?

J

Speak to your insurance company.....you never know !

I had to do this many years ago on an XJS - nest right in the centre of the engine 'V'.

The best advice I can give is to bite the bullet and hand this over to a dealer or an indy with a good reputation such as PCS.

I would also recommend you go with a new wiring harness rather than repairing the old one.

Last of all, invest in some snap traps for the garage.:eek::eek:

There is a debate as to whether this is a wiring loom or battery lead , does anyone know ?

Attachments

• IMAG0486.jpg
    IMAG0486.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 67
Happened to me a lot of years ago on my Sierra Cosworth, claimed on the insurance no problem at all, complete new rewire by Ford

There is a debate as to whether this is a wiring loom or battery lead , does anyone know ?

Definiteley a battery lead, but as its connected to other parts , may form part of the engine wiring harness. Look for a label somewhere on it with a part number.

Nick

Looks very much like a battery lead.
If it is, it should be very easy to trace it back to the battery positive terminal and the main distribution post/starter motor
If that is the only damage then ignore all I have said and get a decent auto-electrician to replace it for £50-£100

You should be doing some kind of emergency repair there, at least get some insulating tape over it and make sure nothing's touching the bodywork.

After you repair or replace use a silicone spray on all your engine bay wiring.
For whatever reason rodents find the silicone taste offensive.

You can do a temporary or permanent fix by wrapping the exposed conductor with self fusing silicone tape. It will provide a tight waterproof seal.

Last edited:
Here in inner city London I had a rats nest in the engine.
The car lives outside on a parking area, and was not driven regularly.
Worst part was the smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom