Mile-munchers, Audis and other boring stuff!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

I'm getting rid of both the E55 and the ML and replacing them with a mile-munching estate and the other an Audi A4/A6 Quattro estate (or Avant in Audi parlance) due to next year being a very busy one work-wise; the E55 has hardly turned a wheel in the past week such is my workload.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience of Vauxhall Insignias? I've driven a few and been very impressed with the perceived build-quality; the do feel 'well made'.

Also been looking at 2008-2010ish Audi A4/A6 S-Line Quattros, does anyone have any experience of them?

I suspect you will find an A4 Avant too small.

Lee's not THAT big John.

The local cabbies who can't run to a Mercedes C class round here use Insignias. They're well made but the suspension is pretty hard and grumbly.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience of Vauxhall Insignias? I've driven a few and been very impressed with the perceived build-quality; the do feel 'well made'.

Do not go there Lee, no way, no how never, both petrols and diesels have major engine issues as do the auto boxes, they are cheap for a reason. I'm currently looking for a daily driver myself and I'm struggling to get past another Volvo. I've been and driven a few Insignias as they are seriously cheap second hand but I's rather drive around in a 5 - 6 year old quality motor than a 1 year old one of these. I agree quality is perceived it just doesn't shine through to the overall package

Just my twopenneth but based on good advice from a dealer

My S210 320CDI was the best motorway car I've owned. Swallowed the miles very quickly and was still cantering really.
I loved long trips in that thing. Cheap to run, fun, and comfortable too. :cool:

I'm getting rid of both the E55 and the ML and replacing them with a mile-munching estate and the other an Audi A4/A6 Quattro estate (or Avant in Audi parlance) due to next year being a very busy one work-wise; the E55 has hardly turned a wheel in the past week such is my workload.

Also been looking at 2008-2010ish Audi A4/A6 S-Line Quattros, does anyone have any experience of them?

Get tha sen a FFRR 4.4V8 diesel and have done with it lad. ;)

My sister has a 2008 a6 s line le mans 3.0tdi. Its an OK ish car to drive but I don't find the seats at all comfortable. It has cost her nearly £2k in various breakdowns over the last 6 months even though it has only done 80k miles and has full Audi service history.

If you thinking of going for a massive estate, why not look towards VW Passat or even Skoda Octavia/Superb? Same engine as Audi/VW but fraction of the price, hence get new-ish for cheaper money.

Me personally I hate Vauxhall, they are cheap for a reason, as someone said, as you would have to pay a lot for fixing the damn thing.

We stopped using Insignia's as a hire cars because they are so unreliable (Electricals, recalls here and there) also if you heard of Vauxhall Astra Mk5 150 cdti engine issues (just google it) Insignia uses same drivetrain, just slightly twicked 150 cdti engine to 170 (or more) for their 2.0 cdti.

Oh, and what I found out, the seats are really rubbish adjusting them. They have a lever and seat is on free-move, which doesn't allow you fine adjustment.

SPX said:
I'm getting rid of both the E55 and the ML and replacing them with a mile-munching estate and the other an Audi A4/A6 Quattro estate (or Avant in Audi parlance) due to next year being a very busy one work-wise; the E55 has hardly turned a wheel in the past week such is my workload. Anyway, does anyone have any experience of Vauxhall Insignias? I've driven a few and been very impressed with the perceived build-quality; the do feel 'well made'. Also been looking at 2008-2010ish Audi A4/A6 S-Line Quattros, does anyone have any experience of them?
Lee just get a C350 cdi and you'll be well happy ,you don't want that cheap .... Audi !;)

need for speed!;)

If you are considering Audi, I would suggest an extended test drive because I know of two owners (A6) who both found the seats uncomfortable. One changed to a Ford Mondeo, the other a Nissan Kumquat (Quasqi?). Might just be coincidence though.

Lee just get a C350 cdi and you'll be well happy ,you don't want that cheap .... Audi !;)

I need a four wheel drive estate and outside of Audi, the choice is very limited.

Do not go there Lee, no way, no how never, both petrols and diesels have major engine issues as do the auto boxes, they are cheap for a reason. I'm currently looking for a daily driver myself and I'm struggling to get past another Volvo. I've been and driven a few Insignias as they are seriously cheap second hand but I's rather drive around in a 5 - 6 year old quality motor than a 1 year old one of these. I agree quality is perceived it just doesn't shine through to the overall package

Just my twopenneth but based on good advice from a dealer

Cheers Ian, the advice I've been given has been quite the opposite; my friends company has them as fleet cars and he's seriously impressed with their reliability, and he's not really one to be impressed easily. From what I gather, it's the 2.0 CDTi I need to be going for.

I'll take it all on board though. :thumb:

If you thinking of going for a massive estate, why not look towards VW Passat or even Skoda Octavia/Superb? Same engine as Audi/VW but fraction of the price, hence get new-ish for cheaper money.

I had a Passat 2.0 TDi earlier in the year and was a bit underwhelmed with it, which I can get over but when I'm paying a premium over an Insignia for one, it makes me a bit reluctant.

Can't go far wrong with a BMW 5-series 4x4 - if budget allows go for a GT.

SAAB did a 93 Turbo-x which was 4WD estate/wagon - limited numbers were imported IIRC

Also don't forget the subaru legacy estate is an off the wall choice

SPX said:
I need a four wheel drive estate and outside of Audi, the choice is very limited.
Volvo would spring to mind!:)

need for speed!;)

Cheers Ian, the advice I've been given has been quite the opposite; my friends company has them as fleet cars and he's seriously impressed with their reliability, and he's not really one to be impressed easily. From what I gather, it's the 2.0 CDTi I need to be going for.

I'll take it all on board though. :thumb:

My mate is the fleet manager for a very well known (largest) telecoms company, they buy Insignia new for well less than £10k and he says they have the lowest reliability on the fleet and are nightmares.

If you need a 4x4 then its a no brainer only one choice in my book, Subaru Legacy or legacy Outback I've had both and they are fantastic cars much better than Audi or Volvo at mile munching, Here's the Outback spec b I had an awesome car and would have another in a heartbeat

ScoobyNS.jpg

It had crossed my mind but if I could get over the looks, the seating configuration isn't ideal; there's five of us plus our Boxer dog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom