Mile-munchers, Audis and other boring stuff!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are very popular with Slough cab drivers. Awful hard ride though.

Maybe because I'm used to the 20" alloys with rock hard suspension on the QP, this is an S-Class in comparison!

Heavens- built in Russelsheim, Germany. Ironic that in order to buy a car built in Germany its got to have an old established British manufacturer's badge on it. Buy a Mercedes on the other hand and it could be South African, "born in the USA" , Hungarian or Finnish nowadays! Still owned AFAIK by General Motors in the States despite a dalliance with MAGNA in 2009 and now allied/platform sharing with PSA Citroen Peugeot. Tis rumoured that while the youth of Germany and the United States slaughtered each in bloody conflict in WW2 Adam Opel continued to faithfully pay dividends to their parent company in the states throughout the war!

I wonder what you will make of it.

I hired one a few years ago and couldn't wait to give it back because the driving position didn't suit me. I forget the exact reason but recall that the pedals might have been offset and the seat was cramped - the problem with the seat might have been more to do with my dimensions.

I wonder what you will make of it.
I've owned one before (it's earlier in the thread somewhere) and really can't fault them; feel solid, good fuel economy and not too early for a four pot diesel.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Don't you start as well, I've already taken a load of hammer from my dad - "oh how the mighty have fallen" and "I'd rather walk than drive something with a bus engine"...

SPX said:
Bought this 2014 Insignia SRi as a bit of a stop-gap snotter: http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/s...4-4424-97AB-8CD4B38CBA4F_zps1rksvgs2.jpg.html Drove it 60 miles home and it was very quiet and refined, did just over 60mpg and I wasn't handing about, could barely hear the 2.0 CDTi engine, best bit is that it's £30 a year to tax which would cover about twenty days on the Maserati!

Funny that I'm in a 12 plate insignia sri 2.0 cdti at the minute just to run around. Not a bad car at all

SPX said:
A very capable car for the money, better value per £ than a Passat.

Agreed, far better than a Passat but then again I hate VAGS. I don't like the electric handbrake though. Bit clunky.

Well the Insignia went last week, was made an offer on it I couldn't refuse.

This time I'm changing tack though, instead of a newish repmobile I'm going to go for an older diesel Merc, been looking at the facelift W209 CLK, partly because it's a mercedes I've never owned and partly because I think they're very good looking.

I'm not known for hanging about so bought this today, specifically went for the 220 because of the reliability and the use of the 5 speed (I need this car to be reliable, not necessarily fast):

Got a couple of bodywork bits to sort but mechanically it's fantastic.

Cool. You can sell to me in a few weeks then

My old vec b gsi saloon was built in Germany too. That was another massively under rated car.

My old vec b gsi saloon was built in Germany too. That was another massively under rated car.

Insignia drives great and feels well put together, I really don't care what the badge says - if the car is good, the car's good.

Insignia drives great and feels well put together, I really don't care what the badge says - if the car is good, the car's good.

I hired one to go to Scotland and back in. Yeh it's a little ropey in the fit and finish...but great mpg and ate up the m6 no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no particular like or dislike of an Insignia - but who on earth makes an offer you can't refuse on one of them :)

MB looks nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom