Milltek Cat Bypass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazzyFizzle

Car
None
Had the Milltek Cat Bypass fitted at the weekend, and wow! I should've had it done sooner!

I don't know if I'm being paranoid but I'm sure I can hear a ticking noise now when I accelerate or lift off the throttle, when I'm next to a walled street etc. I can't work out if I'm just hearing things or if it's genuine.

My first thought is maybe an exhaust leak? Hard to tell though.

Anyone heard/experienced similar? I'll drive it tomorrow and see what happens.

How good are cold starts now ?? [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just noticed accelerating down walled streets , the sound sort of 'clattered ' off the buildings ! Mint !!

And cold starts sort of 'snapped ' Aggressively !

I'm really impressed with the general sound/difference, just not sure if I'm imagining this ticking noise.

Interested to see if others have it.

Not sure what you mean by ticking noise.....

The Milltek Cat delete can this be reversed or is the CAT simply just being cut out and can't be reapplied ?

Does it tick when you lift off throttle....sounds like a leak if it does

Go back and get them to nip up the connections. When they first did mine the by pass pipes were vibrating through the floor. They had to just slightly rotate them for clearance, but that was it. Sorted then.

Doesn't that make the car illegal?

From the Demontweeks website :-

Milltek Cat Bypass Pipes are intended for competition or show use, where the vehicle is not to be used on the road.

If I understand the MoT rules correctly, cars fitted with a Catalytic Converter (Early 1990s onwards) will struggle to pass the emissions part of the test without one, and a roadside VOSA check or an enthusiastic traffic cop will ask some awkward questions if they spot your shiny new bit of pipe. If you manage to get around all these obstacles, your insurance company may question the level of cover it's offering if you declare the modification which isn't legal for road use or worse, discover it in the event of a claim. On the positive side, members of a certain community known to collect cats for their scrap value will be disappointed when they look under your car and will move on to the next victim.
If you like living on the edge though, go for it.

Last edited:
Go back and get them to nip up the connections. When they first did mine the by pass pipes were vibrating through the floor. They had to just slightly rotate them for clearance, but that was it. Sorted then.

It's a right old trek to have them look at it.

Might have to drop it in to a local garage to check it over. Bit frustrating.

From the Demontweeks website :-

Milltek Cat Bypass Pipes are intended for competition or show use, where the vehicle is not to be used on the road.

If I understand the MoT rules correctly, cars fitted with a Catalytic Converter (Early 1990s onwards) will struggle to pass the emissions part of the test without one, and a roadside VOSA check or an enthusiastic traffic cop will ask some awkward questions if they spot your shiny new bit of pipe. If you manage to get around all these obstacles, your insurance company may question the level of cover it's offering if you declare the modification which isn't legal for road use or worse, discover it in the event of a claim. On the positive side, members of a certain community known to collect cats for their scrap value will be disappointed when they look under your car and will move on to the next victim.
If you like living on the edge though, go for it.

When I did mine I told my insurance company and were not concerned at all. They made a note on the policy documents that it had been done and that was it. Regarding MOT`s no problem. It`s only the secondary cats that are removed which only control emmisions from cold.

It's a right old trek to have them look at it.

Might have to drop it in to a local garage to check it over. Bit frustrating.

yeah, local exhaust centre should be able to sort that mate. Stop panicking !

Yep, one of the clamps had come loose!

It's back to sounding utterly awesome again!

Great aren't they ? Told ya so !! [emoji106]

I'm really impressed with the general sound/difference, just not sure if I'm imagining this ticking noise.

Interested to see if others have it.

Flickering noise from engine coming through spokes on wheels near kerbs and walls? Mine does it and has done since I can remember so pretty sure its normal. Only mod on mine is eurocharged

Nah I had a leak from one of the exhaust joints.

Car is back to sounding immense now.

For anyone worried about the secondary cat bypass mod, about it being too loud, droney, etc etc. I can assure you it's not. It's perfect, it's just a great sound which enhances the noise already made, it doesn't change it as such.

Mega.

GET IT DONE!

Is it reversible or are the CATs lost ? Just wondering whether these are being completely cut out ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom