Minor accident cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercdad

Car
Mercedes GLE
What do members think of the minor accident cover? Covers for small scratches of under 15cm of work. Several hundred pounds for the cover for 3 years. Is it worth it?

In a word NO. Dealer profit on these policies is huge in percentage terms. Smart repairs are so good and not expensive. Save your money

I presume the same for so called GAP Insurance. I haven't tried a non mercedes insurer yet but I have a feeling this is also a con

Yep- a con bought from the dealer.

Do some Googling......GAP policies can be had for £250-300. Some insurers, like the one for my van, included it as part of the policy for the first two years.

The other thing the dealer group do is switch between suppliers, obviously to maximise profits, but the sales staff don't keep up to date so they will happily say that the policy can be transferred or redeemed pro rata when in many cases, it can't.

Last edited:
GAP is worthwhile but not from the dealer. There are plenty of options online at roughly half the dealer quote. These days the dealer makes very little from selling the car. The big money is in finance, paint protection and various insurance policies

GAP is worthwhile but not from the dealer. There are plenty of options online at roughly half the dealer quote.

This was exactly what I was going to put, especially the worthwhile bit. :thumb:

As for the scratch thing, just put the money into a fund, to be used if necessary. If it's not used, then you have enough for a nice treat. If it's needed then it will probably still cost less to repair than you'd have paid on the policy. :D

just changed from Nissan to Mercedes asked my gap insurer if I could transfer the balance and pay the extra for my cls informed me that they will refund the unused premium and I would have to start again with another policy,that was from Nissan's dealer so will probably get it cheaper elsewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom