Minor, Non-fault Insuance Claim.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
A truck hit the mirror on my legally parked car over the weekend. No big deal, but I'm concerned that if I claim against the truckers insurance, it will count against me. I seem to recall one members wife having an incident where her car was hit from behind and their premium increased as a result of the claim. There were several witnesses and some video/photo evidence of proceedings following the incident.

From my conversation with the truck driver, I got the impression that the damage may well be paid for without going through the official channels, which would suit me.

Any advice, please?

In my case (some years ago) the insurance company did not increase my premium because all of their costs were recovered, paid by the other party's company who also accepted full liability.

This was a few years ago, I hasten to add, but I recollect the direct questions I asked about liabilities and remember recording the answers.

I think it depends on your insurance company… some will raise your premium regardless of fault or claim. You still need to inform them if your vehicle was involved in an accident, regardless of fault/claim.

M.

I would wait until you have further contact with the Lorry owners, before deciding what to do.

Get a price for a new mirror.

I would wait until you have further contact with the Lorry owners, before deciding what to do.

Get a price for a new mirror.

The driver did seem to give the impression things would be sorted out as a matter of course, "Just phone my boss on Monday morning and he'll sort it for you." The marks on the paintwork will probably polish out and the tiny indentation where the mirror cowl sits won't be seen when the new unit is fitted, so if they cough up for the mirror I'll be happy.

I would get a price for a replacement mirror off ebay and ask them to pay that... If its reasonable they probably wont bother going through insurance.

1. My understanding is that technically you are required to notify your insurer about any such incident, whether at fault or nor, though not many people are actually aware of this and it is in fact quite common for drivers to settle without notifying their insurer.

2. As far as I know some insurers will take into account non-fault accidents when renewing, some won't.

I think you will see that the above does not add much new information to what has already been posted... so the decision is yours. I suspect that many here would have just gone for cash settlement with the lorry owner (assuming he accepts liability on Monday).

Not directly related... a few weeks ago my wife called me to say she hit the mirror of a parked van and the the van driver is proposing cash settlement.

I told her to refuse and instead to give the van driver her full details including insurer's details etc.

I appreciate that it might end up costing us more doing it this way, but my reasoning was that I was not there and you really need to see who your are dealing with and that the other party is reasonable and genuine before accepting a cash settlement offer.

I felt that by insisting on protocol I was protecting my wife from potential unpleasant complications while still being fair with the other party (I was happy to accept liability), albeit at a potentially higher cost to myself.

Not directly related... a few weeks ago my wife called me to say she hit the mirror of a parked van and the the van driver is proposing cash settlement.

I told her to refuse and instead to give the van driver her full details including insurer's details etc.

I appreciate that it might end up costing us more doing it this way, but my reasoning was that I was not there and you really need to see who your are dealing with and that the other party is reasonable and genuine before accepting a cash settlement offer.

I felt that by insisting on protocol I was protecting my wife from potential unpleasant complications while still being fair with the other party (I was happy to accept liability), albeit at a potentially higher cost to myself.
An interesting decision...

Van mirror = £80, insurance claim = loss of excess+ NCB = £600.

Not quite... yes the insurance won't cover the actual cost of the mirror because it will be bellow our excess, but my wife has full NCB protection, and last time she slipped on an icey road and crashed into the car in front the premium increase was £35 for the following year and it went back down afterwards, in spite of the other party claiming Personal Injury. So I reckon it will end-up costing more but not by as much as you suggested. We are with Aviva, by the way.

I seem to recall one members wife having an incident where her car was hit from behind and their premium increased as a result of the claim.

That could well have been me - my wife's Audi got shunted from behind as she was turning left off a main road. Fully settled by the other driver's insurance, but the renewal on the SL (which she's a named driver on) shot up when we declared her non-fault accident. No previous claims (non-fault or otherwise).

As mentioned, companies vary ... CIS (who insure the Vito) weren't bothered.

That could well have been me.

It was indeed you, Bill. Didn't want to quote you directly, but glad you came on here to confirm. Made me think about going through insurance when I remembered your post from a while ago. I'll pay a quick visit to my bodyshop and let them assess it. No point me settling for a mirror from ebay only to discover it won't fold or there are other problems. Don't really want to claim if I can help it. The less fuss the better.

Some insurers increase the premium fault or non fault.

Aviva have my non commercial insurance for multicar
been with them for years and if i see an annual increase
I phone them and its reduced to last years rate :)

I hear what you are saying .

On the face of it , it would be cheaper just to pay for the mirror .

However , assuming no witnesses , what if the claim turned into the whole side of the car needing paint/panels , and personal injury claims for the driver and his four passengers ( who the wife would not have seen ) ?

Unless you have strong evidence to the contrary , it can be wiser just to hand it to your insurers .

This is why I would ALWAYS summon the police , even for minor incidents - having twice been hit by drunk drivers and once by an uninsured one I found it worthwhile . If you get police to attend and take statements from both parties at the scene , stories can't be changed afterwards , non existent passengers or injuries can't be invented , correct identification of drivers and existence of insurance cover can be verified . Your insurer can also pay for the police report which records certain matters of fact .

The mere suggestion that you suspect the other party may have been drinking tends to get a prompt attendance .

Last edited:
Not quite... yes the insurance won't cover the actual cost of the mirror because it will be bellow our excess
Are you sure? Your third party insurance should cover all the costs of damage to the other vehicle. The excess only applies when you have damage. You shouldn't be paying anything towards the other person's costs.

I hear what you are saying .

On the face of it , it would be cheaper just to pay for the mirror .

However , assuming no witnesses , what if the claim turned into the whole side of the car needing paint/panels , and personal injury claims for the driver and his four passengers ( who the wife would not have seen ) ?

If the costs rise to a point above a reasonable value, then hand it over. Simples.

Are you sure? Your third party insurance should cover all the costs of damage to the other vehicle. The excess only applies when you have damage. You shouldn't be paying anything towards the other person's costs.

That is a very good point - didn't think about that... you are quite right of course and the excess we paid at time was indeed for our own damage, not for the other party's.

So based on my previous experience that this will only generate a small one-off increase in next year's premium, I seem to have unwittingly made the right decision...

Last edited:
I am at a loss at understanding the rationale behind markjay's action. His wife has a minor tip with a van mirror. The van driver proposes a cash settlement
probably trying to do the decent thing. What actually can go wrong? My son got the mirror smashed on a Transit he had. The culprit got out, asked how much was a new mirror and son said £40. The guy handed over £40 and both parties went merrily on their way. Just imagine the hassle, paperwork, phone calls if the insurance company had been involved. Is it any wonder they load a premium ?

We seem to have two different views here:

I am at a loss at understanding the rationale behind markjay's action. His wife has a minor tip with a van mirror. The van driver proposes a cash settlement probably trying to do the decent thing. What actually can go wrong? .....

....On the face of it , it would be cheaper just to pay for the mirror .

Unless you have strong evidence to the contrary , it can be wiser just to hand it to your insurers .....

I am somewhere in between the two. Had I been there myself, I would have gone with I5foye's proposal, but since I wasn't there, I prefer Pontoneer's approach.

What would you advise ringway should do?

I am at a loss at understanding the rationale behind markjay's action. His wife has a minor tip with a van mirror. The van driver proposes a cash settlement
probably trying to do the decent thing. What actually can go wrong? My son got the mirror smashed on a Transit he had. The culprit got out, asked how much was a new mirror and son said £40. The guy handed over £40 and both parties went merrily on their way. Just imagine the hassle, paperwork, phone calls if the insurance company had been involved. Is it any wonder they load a premium ?

Agreed it can be much simpler dealing that way - if only everyone were honest .

Unfortunately , some people will say one thing at the roadside , then in the cold light of day will say something entirely different .

You don't always know which sort of person you're dealing with and it is not unheard of for damage to be exaggerated or injury claims from 'passengers' to be made a couple of days afterwards .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom