ML 270 CDI Auto 2003 electrical fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vannie

Hello,
I just purchased a 270cdi ml Auto 2003 and having a few issues.

I hope you experienced members can help and look forward to hearing your expert opinions.

Well my husband picked up the car this evening and he thought he would use the cruise control on the motorway and as soon as he started the cruise control the whole car died on him, he turned off the engine and it restarted.

On starting the ignition not all warning lights, that should be, are illuminated.

The centre of the dash is dull, I have tried to twiddle with the adjusting light stick but still duller then each side.

The outside temperature and display that indicates Park. reverse natural, 4 gear, drive is blank, but clock and odometer displaying.

On putting headlights into auto the dash doesnt light up.

When using full beam the headlights then completely turn off after turning off full beam.

Parking sensors going off randomly and not beeping when near an obstruction.

Not sure if these are all related problems or individual.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard of similar issues before and was sure the solution was an alternator issue regarding voltage regulation and so on. Try and check all your battery and alternator electrical connections for a start, +tive and -tive. That's my guess.

I am sure you have already? But make sure the seller (if a dealer) is aware of the issue. If a dealer they have to sort it. IF private sale then maybe not so good. Good luck.

Check the earth strap between starter motor and chassis - down under exhaust manifold, just visible from above.

Hi Thanks will do all of above, just checked battery and here is a photo do you think this maybe problem.

Also theses are the only lights that come on when key in position 2.

And as you can see no outside temperature and "P" in display, but clock and odometer working.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi Thanks will do all of above, just checked battery and here is a photo do you think this maybe problem.

Also theses are the only lights that come on when key in position 2.

That will certainly not help and may indeed be your issue as it could be shorting out. At a minimum get that wrapped up in insulation before you try any more starting or electrical stuff. Harlfords sell live and earth leads if you are in a rush.

You could disconnect it and try cleaning it up with a wire brush and clean water. Get rid of all the oxidisation. It looks like it has been shorting for some time. Then if the actual lead is not broken you could just add new insulation and/or heat shrink. Also it may be worth a call to your local MB parts department. You may find that this is a reasonably low cost replacement.

Always best to be seated when calling any Merc parts department.

It also looks like you could be 'missing' copper conductor in that cable from that damage. As mentioned, get it taped up and replaced. If you bought it from a dealer get them to fix it for you.

As above - quickly!
Also, in the first photo, top right, there's a red plastic nut, this secures a special fuse which controls some functions on the car.
Have it checked, if it's blown, replace with one from MB only.

Pour very hot water over it and watch it disappear.
Then tape it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom