Ml 270 wireless remote and related issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuartthorn

Car
ML 270 Mercedes
Hi
Im now the proud owner of 2003 ml .. the problem/s are the remotes don't work I have changed the batteries and tried to re sync the fob to the car .. no joy. The door lock on the central consol will lock the doors etc but isnt able to unlock .. mechanism makes a noise but nothing happens.

May be related and could be my imagination but it sounds as is the locks operate when taking off the stand still ..

Also the alarm light blinks but seems to stop when the key is removed

No doubt this will take some time to track down.

Stuart

Sorry,
-open the driver’s window
-lock the car with the remote
-if the car wont lock with the remote fob, hold the remote fob about 2mm from sensor in the drivers door handle.
-if the car doors lock then the alarm should arm, the hazards should flash 2 or 3 times and a light will blink on dash to indicate the alarm is armed.
-wait one minute and then reach in the open window and open a door or bonnet, alarm siren should sound for 30 seconds and hazards should flash for 3 minutes.

Locking the car with the remote arms the alarm, unlocking with the remote disarmes the alarm OR putting the key in the ignition will also disarm the alarm.

Did you get a User Manual with the car?

Dec

Last edited:
Hi
Im now the proud owner of 2003 ml .. the problem/s are the remotes don't work I have changed the batteries and tried to re sync the fob to the car .. no joy. The door lock on the central consol will lock the doors etc but isnt able to unlock .. mechanism makes a noise but nothing happens.

May be related and could be my imagination but it sounds as is the locks operate when taking off the stand still ..

Also the alarm light blinks but seems to stop when the key is removed

No doubt this will take some time to track down.

Stuart

The doors can be set to lock automatically when the car exceeds about 10 mph, this is normal and not related to your locking problem.

Dec

On my old ML there was a similar problem where the remote would not lock/unlock the car. I traced the problem down to a faulty AAM unit, it attaches to the end of the fuse box i the engine bay. I changed this with a second hand unit and used STAR to connect my key to the replacement AAM .
This may be relevant to you also

Locking the car with the remote arms the alarm, unlocking with the remote disarmes the alarm OR putting the key in the ignition will also disarm the alarm.
Did you get a User Manual with the car?
Dec

Thanks for the response Dec .. I'm at work now .. will try your suggestions later.

Just to clarify .. when the red LED alarm indicator light is flashing the alarm is set Correct ?? .. So when I remove my key from the ignition the light stops flashing .. something isn't right ??

I have an owners manual

Rgeards

Stuart

Stuart

On my old ML there was a similar problem where the remote would not lock/unlock the car. I traced the problem down to a faulty AAM unit, it attaches to the end of the fuse box i the engine bay. I changed this with a second hand unit and used STAR to connect my key to the replacement AAM .
This may be relevant to you also

Thanks for your response Shorty .. I'll keep this as a possibility .. I'm trying to get my head the symptoms I see and work out how it is all supposed to fit together.

Regards

Stuart

When the alarm Red LED blinks the alarm is armed, yes correct.
Something isn’t quite right, if you are inside the car with the alarm armed (Red LED blinking) then the alarm should be going off.
Best to read the manual sections on central locking and the alarm, its complicated on a new car till you get your head around it.

Dec

When the alarm Red LED blinks the alarm is armed, yes correct.
Something isn’t quite right, if you are inside the car with the alarm armed (Red LED blinking) then the alarm should be going off.
Best to read the manual sections on central locking and the alarm, its complicated on a new car till you get your head around it.

Dec
Thanks DEC .. and yes I have had a look at the manual .. it's not big on trouble shooting.

So yep I have been in the car when the alarm has been set .. but nothing :(

The thing that currently puzzles me is surely the alarm shouldn't disarm when I take the key out of the ignition.

Stuart

In order to arm the alarm you need to be outside the car, and when you then lock the car the alarm arms, Red LED blinks.

Unlocking the car from outside disarm the car alarm, Red LED stops blinking.
If the remote is put in the ignition it will also disarm the alarm so its odd that the alarm Red LED is blinking.

What kind of fob do you have? … see… https://www.google.ie/search?q=ml+r...ved=0ahUKEwj1rZrLiZXLAhUCvxQKHZniDTIQ_AUIBigB
Does your remote fob have a Red lens on the key end?

Perhaps the lock button on the remote works ok but the unlock button is faulty so that when you unlock, the alarm is not disarmed and the Red LED is still blinking and the siren is not screaming because it’s faulty.
Locking the car causes the hazards to flash 3 times.
Unlocking the car causes the hazards to flash 1 time.

Anyone know where the siren is located on a UK ML?

Dec

Thanks for your ongoing interst in my problems Dec ... much appreciated

What kind of fob do you have?
Dec

It's the wireless version ...

.. but the unlock button is faulty so that when you unlock, Dec
It's the same with both fobs .. I'm not convinced they are sync to the car .. have tried various ways of doing this but no evidence that it has worked

Anyone know where the siren is located on a UK ML? Dec

I'm in Australia but dont hold that against me

Stuart

Last edited:
Try locating the alarm siren and unplug it, it might be below centre of windscreen, access from outside, not sure exactly. The Americans use a horn instead of a siren, Google images of Mercedes siren and you will see what it looks like in your neck of the woods.
Below picture from USA User Manual.

Dec

ZVju6rr.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
Well the car has had the once over .. it picked up on some dodgy wiring around the air con / cooling fan which I suspect the dealer organised to get the air con working as a condition of sale .. I will be talking to them about that :mad:

The scan was not clear on what is causing the remote locking issue .. see attached.

If someone cares to have a look and maybe interpret the print out for me :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxaWw_PrcrrLam51Um9QNUhqVzQ/view?usp=sharing

Have you got a picture of the alarm switch that flashes?
What year is the car?

Dec

Hi Dec
It's a 2003 ML 270. The alarm led is up on the left near the radio controls
p0YlDmD3AQLs2xplMhNqj1FYgWgrBdFfBdUS_RTedIEta3_I0iq-KGDLuQpqJ6k7QBR5zXY2026AUaR2GX2DjPs4R8dd2w1a4K4F7ZMFtN1S_Sd3QVh9QhW2xWBSktIExBjjjoIw6nCpuPgcYCK8iFCMNKcXN7H_uObmI2tnLyacSEUQbeIfZleWIVBLVw=w443-h332-nc

If it’s the original unit, the alarm siren is now about 12 years old, the Mercedes siren will eventually become faulty around that age, the siren contains the brains of the alarm system, the become corrupt inside and cause all sorts of faults.

Best to track down the siren and unplug/remove it from the car, it is clearly faulty if its LED is flashing when it should not. Disconnect the car battery earth/ground lead for ½ an hour after you have unplugged the alarm siren.

Siren might be located on the drivers side wheel arch liner, see… ML320 (W163) - MBWorld.org Forums

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom