ML 350 (W166) so far

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMG_7744.jpg

IMG_7746.jpg

IMG_7749.jpg

Dear Abb

Your reproductive equipment appears to have escaped you shorts in your first picture.

Great looking machine (the car I am talking about now)

Reactions: Abb
Looks fantastic! I recently got a price for blacking out the silver trim, and it was surprisingly expensive! Mulling it over, but your photos making me tempted again!

Looks fantastic! I recently got a price for blacking out the silver trim, and it was surprisingly expensive! Mulling it over, but your photos making me tempted again!

Thank you very much. I had mines wrapped in gloss black, all still in situ, circa £200 IIRC.

Have you considered blacking the roof bars? If you don’t really use them much? That can look really cool.

I did enquire about that Bruce when the rest got done, but to get it done properly they have to be removed which means headliner removal etc, didn't fancy disturbing it all, besides thought it went with the steps quite well, but do agree would look better black.
I may have to have a rethink....

A bit of a late update, but heres the results of the map. Dyno run before and after, carried out by John at BFT.

Map.JPG

That really does look the dogs dangly bits with the black wheels
I have been looking into lowering my W164

Reactions: Abb
Update, it went in for a service (oil, filters, brake fluid, ad blue) and found the rear tyres were running off on the inside edge. Also the suspension links for the airmatic had gone quite soft. So as well as the service, decided to buy 4 new tyres, links and the alignment carried out.
Pricing up the tyres, came in around £800-£1k for the conti's (295/35/21). The tyre guy recommended some accelera ST68 (which I had a quick read up on) and decided to take his advice. Given the fact that the car is used 99% of the time locally, I am not a tyre snob (but understand the importance of quality tyres on performance cars), not a performance car and they were around £300, I thought why not give them a chance, after all they couldn't be any worse than the conti's (which I found very noisy & very poor VFM).
I know I will be in the minority, but all things considered I made my choice.
After the service, I had all tyres fitted SWMBO then returned to have the links fitted and the alignment carried out. Unfortunately my indy's machine was out of action, so he kindly took it to the local QF (I know but he trusts a couple of guys in there) who seemed to have sorted it.

Most importantly, wifey is very happy. She says it's a lot smoother and quieter. Not sure which is the biggest contributing factor, I would imagine it's a combination of all 3! :)

Links incase anyone needs part numbers
IMG_9908.jpg
Geometery
6ECA.jpg

Still waiting for the exhaust fabricators to fit me in, so I can fill these gaps.
Abb,

did you have to modify the stock exhaust of your ML in order to fit the AMG tips?

I might do the same project in the future and I'm trying to understand how it works.

I had noticed that the AMG version has wider arches and someone confirmed that to you on here. I guess the front bumper would be too big/not fit if you hadn't changed the arches?

Abb,

did you have to modify the stock exhaust of your ML in order to fit the AMG tips?

I might do the same project in the future and I'm trying to understand how it works.

I had noticed that the AMG version has wider arches and someone confirmed that to you on here. I guess the front bumper would be too big/not fit if you hadn't changed the arches?
I couldn’t say for sure however as the front edge of the arch flows into the rear edge of the front bump I suspect you would need to replace the wings if you replace the bumper and vice versa.

Here are the front wings and it says that it’s not recommended for the standard bumper. They seller the bumpers too.

Last edited:
Abb,

Hi, apologies for the delay in replying. I didn't have to modify the stock exhaust to fit the tips, as the tips are just 'finishers' and are not connected to the exhaust! They are bolted onto a bracket installed underneath the car as per OEM.

If you want to fit the bumper, you will indeed have to change the arches too, otherwise it wont work. HTH

Hi, apologies for the delay in replying. I didn't have to modify the stock exhaust to fit the tips, as the tips are just 'finishers' and are not connected to the exhaust! They are bolted onto a bracket installed underneath the car as per OEM.

If you want to fit the bumper, you will indeed have to change the arches too, otherwise it wont work. HTH
Abb, thank you for your reply.

It's good news that there is no need to modify the stock exhaust. From what I can see on the web, the AMG version also has these finishers that are not connected to the pipe. A bit lazy of MB on such a premium car.

Noted re the front bumper and the arches.

All good with your c43 mate?

All good with your c43 mate?
It is thank you. Not that it has come out of hibernation this year, even missed the MOT date this year, but will get it done in the coming weeks. Unfortunately due to personal circs, I haven't had time to come on here or tend to any of my cars 😢

From what I can see on the web, the AMG version also has these finishers that are not connected to the pipe. A bit lazy of MB on such a premium car.
It’s deliberate and a feature of modern cars. It reduces the cost of repair in the event of a relatively minor rear end collision as it restricts damage to the primary impact area, reducing the likelihood of damage to the exhaust, floor pan and even the engine/manifold.

I’m not aware of a downside.

Exactly like that!

Exactly like that!
Is it like that in your ML? I thought the exhaust Looked something like this:ML Pipes.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom