ML Heated /Cooled Cupholder Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merc Owner 2B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 ML250 Sport BlueTec
I have the heated / cooled front cupholder option in my 2012 ML.

After using it mainly in cold mode for a week, whilst on holiday in France, the plastic ssurround at the top has developed a crack.

I've contacted MB warranty but their response is that it can't happen and must have been subjected to an external force of some kind. I know this isn't the case and will progress further.

It would help my case if there is any evidence of similar occurances.

I know from the dealer that this option is rare and many have never even seen one. It was on the car when I bought it.

If I don't get it fixed then I expect a hefty bill when I hand it back!

Would be grateful for any input from those experienced with warranty claims.
Paul

Last edited:
I personally would send this bloke a polite email, and ask if he feels that it is appropriate that buyers of a premium car costing over £30,000 should be called fibbers by his organisation.

I'd also be making it clear that as a Premium Marque for whom you pay a premium price it would be normal to expect that the warranty department would not be playing games more expected from a two bit used car garage....

Mercedes-Benz UK

Mr Simon Oldfield Managing Director

Email [email protected]
Website Mercedes-Benz UK - Home of the #NEWACLASS - Official Site
Twitter @MercedesBenzUK

At least this appears to be a limited issue.

Does anyone else have the heated/cooled cupholder option?

At least this appears to be a limited issue.

Does anyone else have the heated/cooled cupholder option?

I didn't know it was even available. I did read about it when the current ML was first introduced, but then saw reports that it had been dropped.

MB warranty have issued their "Final Response" and that is that this damage must have occurred through physical damage and could not have happened the way I described. This was following their "investigation" in which they never even saw the car. They did have the testimony to support my claim from the dealership but they chose to ignore this!

Very disappointed that they would rather choose to disbelieve me in order to save a few hundred quid.

Poor show. Doesn't make you feel like spending any more money with the brand.

Terrible service, assuming you've been reasonable and your account of events is complete and accurate. It should be fairly easy for them to establish if there's been an impact to the top surface or if the crack is internal, thermally-generated.

I seem to recall that the heated cupholder option was dropped in combination with keyless entry, as numpties were cooking their keys.

Yes I've been totally honest.

No one has been in the car without me. Nothing has been dropped and this is clear to see. The techs at the dealership agree that it must be a change in temperature that caused the cracking.

If I broke it then I'd pay, no problem.

Problem is that it's failed and I'll end up picking up the bill at the end of the lease!

Another point is that this £220 factory fitted option is going to cost me £380 + vat to replace as it's clearly not up to the job!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom