Ml running boards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TUGGERS

Car
ml350
these are a nightmare to try and clean up. Oxidation and small brownish spots.

Anyone have any ideas??

Ideally they need removing I think.

Can anyone advise how to remove just the aluminium board. Think it would look sweet to get it painted.

They are a nightmare. Even my detailer hasn't found a suitable solution. I did consider getting them wrapped, but not made any enquiries yet.

They are a nightmare. Even my detailer hasn't found a suitable solution. I did consider getting them wrapped, but not made any enquiries yet.

Yep deffo a nightmare. And me being a detailer myself very shocked how hard here are to clean up.

They must be easy to remove right?

There are nuts underneath that go into bolts that look like the rubber pads this will allow you to take off the aluminium

My wife is trying to get me to have RB fitted to our recently acquired ML as she struggles to get into the passenger seat, am resisting and will certainly not want to retrofit some and then discover that they are a devil to clean. Also not convinced that getting in and out will be any easier

I had running boards on my W164 which lasted really well and stayed fairly blemish free, when I bought my W166 I had RB's fitted but wish I hadn't. These ones are marked all over the place and are a devil to clean. I guess the quality has lowered.

I find the running boards on the W166 stay cleaner and are easier to clean than the W164 but they scratch much much more easily as there's more aluminium and less rubber.

The W164 running boards only start looking persistently dirty after four years or so.

At least I am not alone! My detailer also said they were a PITA to do, the guy I use for wrapping said I would be better off getting them powdercoated. Haven't made any enquiries at the min, but seems like a sensible option, especially if you can separate the actual aluminium plate from the rubber studs??

Why not swap them for the 75mm dia Stainless Steel tube types.

That's what I've got and never regretted it. Easy to clean and actually enhance the look of the car, rather than the opposite...

Why not swap them for the 75mm dia Stainless Steel tube types.

That's what I've got and never regretted it. Easy to clean and actually enhance the look of the car, rather than the opposite...

I think it depends on which model ie W164 0r W166 as not sure the tube type would look right on the W166??

I think it depends on which model ie W164 0r W166 as not sure the tube type would look right on the W166??
My thoughts too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom