ML v GL v Cayenne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jabrielraja

Car
C class
I'm in the market for one of the above cars with a budget of £15k. With all cars I'm interested in the 3l diesel engines although not fussed about mpg. Could consider bigger engines too depending on responses to below questions.

I will be doing approximately 25k miles a year (90% motorway) so am looking for something comfortable.

I have a small family but the 2 extra seats in the GL are a nice to have rather than a must have.

The ML is looking like a 2012, the GL 2010/11 and the Cayenne 2009/10. The ML would have average miles. The GL and Cayenne might have closer to 90k or 100k miles.

I'm only considering a 4wd car at the moment.

I need someone better informed than me to help me with the following:

1. Which will best suited for long and frequent motorway journeys?

2. Which is likely to be most reliable? This is really important as I can't have the car unavailable for long periods or often.

3. Which is likely to be least reliable? (I'm happy to look at alternate engines if it means I would end up in a more reliable car. Again, not fussed about mpg at all.)

4. Is there another option? Don't want a BMW. Considered Audi a8 but the rear seats don't fold so not practical enough for my needs. Might consider a VW Tourag (2012) if I fail to find a suitable car from the list above. I just don't know enough about them and never heard of them as being the most reliable or comfortable etc. Not a fan of Volvo so not considering an xc90.

5. Are there known issues with any of the 3 cars that I should be aware of?

Your thoughts on the above please.

Thanks in advance.

Have had 2007 320cdi ML and now a 2011 ML 350cdi Sport. The current one is a great long distance cruiser, shows 35 mpg at 60 mph average on mixed A roads and motorway driving.
Had problems with ABS/Speed sensors with the first one, second one not had for long.
Make sure gearbox has had fluid and filter change at 40 k miles or 4 years for the 7g. Think the ML had a facelift for 2012 and got the 7g+ gearbox , check model history on line

Have had 2007 320cdi ML and now a 2011 ML 350cdi Sport. The current one is a great long distance cruiser, shows 35 mpg at 60 mph average on mixed A roads and motorway driving.
Had problems with ABS/Speed sensors with the first one, second one not had for long.
Make sure gearbox has had fluid and filter change at 40 k miles or 4 years for the 7g. Think the ML had a facelift for 2012 and got the 7g+ gearbox , check model history on line
Thanks.

Apart from size, are the ML and GL the same thing? Or are the seats in the GL more comfortable, or is the ride in the GL more/less comfortable?

Is there any issue with buying a high mileage car?

I know someone who within the last year bought a new Cayenne and has had massive issues with it, to the point where he now hates it and doesn't want to drive it. I wouldn't want one.

No idea on GL but suspect not too much difference other than size, ML likely to be more lively with same 3L engine due to being lighter. I would go for a facelift 2012 ML if budget would stretch.

I'm in the market for one of the above cars with a budget of £15k. With all cars I'm interested in the 3l diesel engines although not fussed about mpg. Could consider bigger engines too depending on responses to below questions.

If buying used with that money then I'd suggest you look at the Touareg rather than the Cayenne. You'll get a newer car with less miles. Same engine, transmission, and 4WD system. Cayenne is just a reskinned Touareg - motoring press is very easy on Porsche when it comes to 'objectivity' and the shared drivetrains and platforms.

If buying used with that money then I'd suggest you look at the Touareg rather than the Cayenne. You'll get a newer car with less miles. Same engine, transmission, and 4WD system. Cayenne is just a reskinned Touareg - motoring press is very easy on Porsche when it comes to 'objectivity' and the shared drivetrains and platforms.
I agree, current generation Touareg is within budget, and I'd personally go for that over a previous generation ML/GL or Cayenne from two generations ago. And that's coming from an ML fan boi!

No idea on GL but suspect not too much difference other than size, ML likely to be more lively with same 3L engine due to being lighter. I would go for a facelift 2012 ML if budget would stretch.
Thanks, completely hear what you’re saying. Guess I need to get out there and test drive both so I can decide.

If The Current Cayenne is a reskinned Touareg I wouldn't touch one of those either. The guy I know is into a Massive can of worms that apparently can't be resolved!

Agree to a degree but currently would prefer a ML or GL. Not sure why. Just where my mind is at the moment. But you’re not right, Tourag will be better value for money than a Cayenne. I expect though they will drive slightly differently.

I think the GL will do less mpg than the ML. I remember a Top Gear review saying that the GL has the ability to "change the climate as you drive it!"

From my point of view, if you are looking at doing 25K miles a year, and you are thinking of buying a vehicle with plus 100k miles on it already you will soon be reaching very high miles indeed. Thats not necessarily a bad thing as long as it has been very well maintained.
I too think Volkswagen Touareg is a very capable machine, and you will be able to find a relatively new one within your budget.

Just going back to the original questions, other than making sure the gearbox oil and filter were changed, are there other things to look out for?

Or can someone point me in the direction of a buyers guide for the ML and GL? Have read the parkers guide but that’s pretty high level.

I think the GL will do less mpg than the ML. I remember a Top Gear review saying that the GL has the ability to "change the climate as you drive it!"
If I can get roughly 30mpg (give or take) then I’ll be happy enough.

I've only driven the GL when I rented one in the states, a 5.5L V8 petrol. It was the size of a house (and probably about the same weight) and did 11 MPG even though I didn't cane it.

Cheers,

Gaz

Honest John's "Real Average" MPG figures are 24.2 MPG for the GL350 CDi and 29.8 MPG for the ML 350 CDi

Honest John's "Real Average" MPG figures are 24.2 MPG for the GL350 CDi and 29.8 MPG for the ML 350 CDi
Thanks for sharing.

Will look out for the GL450 mpg figures. Although doubt I’ll find a 450 in budget. Might have to stretch the budget if I decide on the 450 but would prefer sticking to £15k

GL420 CDi = 24.3 average MPG according to HJ.

Having owned a 2009 W164 ML320 and a 2012 W166 ML350 I would prefer the W164. I think the styling is nicer and there is more standard kit. Look for a late model W164 ML320 Grand Edition and you will get full leather seats, xenon headlights and DRL's as standard.

I think £15k for a W166 ML350 is a bit too low.

Having owned a 2009 W164 ML320 and a 2012 W166 ML350 I would prefer the W164. I think the styling is nicer and there is more standard kit. Look for a late model W164 ML320 Grand Edition and you will get full leather seats, xenon headlights and DRL's as standard.

I think £15k for a W166 ML350 is a bit too low.
Mercland has just posted a W164 ML 320 sport Grand Edition for sale at under 15k out of interest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom