ml270 automatic not shifting gears up or down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danuk76

Car
Ml270
hi all

I have an ml270 128k miles which is running fine, kick back works/no smoke etc etc but it has suddenly stopped allowing you to manually shift up and down the gears

About twice a month it will go into a limp mode and I just turn it on and off then its good again, driven every day so not an issue but possibly relevant?

Due for an mot soon and dont want to go into the garage blind and get stung so any ideas appreciated

Also I have seen the code readers on ebay for 2004 mercs onwards for just £18 is there a similar cheap one for the ml270

The code reader will only tell you a fault code. I would advise checking the fluid level is correct before buying a code reader

Low fluid can cause bigger issues than anything else

thankyou will try that, ordered a 920mm dipstick will update soon

Gearbox oil checked with 920mm dip stick off ebay and level is good, looks full

I have just noticed I can now shift down the gears when driving so say I shift down to 2 it will straight away shift back up to 3 then 4 then D without any action from me

Could this be a faulty (stuck on) shift up micro switch?
Would that cause the limp mode (limp mode = drives but appears no turbo)

Again I turn off/on and it goes away for say 20 miles

Any advice appreciated

I think your next step is to find an MB indy who has STAR and get the gearbox fault codes read. That should pinpoint the problem. In my experience, gearbox problems only get worse until its undrivable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom