ML270 CDi Owners! (HELP!!!) Fuel Consumption / Servicing intervals-Costs / War

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hello mate if its below 80C change the thermostat the thermostat should read between 85-90C it might take a bit off time to warm up mine takes around 10-12 mins around 2miles in london but it always gets to 90C. Low temp = Low mpg

niketpatel71 said:
hello mate if its below 80C change the thermostat the thermostat should read between 85-90C it might take a bit off time to warm up mine takes around 10-12 mins around 2miles in london but it always gets to 90C. Low temp = Low mpg

Thanks going to book it in ASAP :)

Update:
Had thermostat done last weekend. Drove 295 motorway miles today on 39 litres. That's 34.3 mpg at 1.39.7 a litre from Asda. I have NO COMPLAINTS. I use cruise control at between 68 and 72 mph unless traffic doesn't permit.

Need oil leak seeing too, but can't be much wrong if it's delivering good performance and economy. I feel good about this purchase.

How to check thermostat

Update:
Had thermostat done last weekend. Drove 295 motorway miles today on 39 litres. That's 34.3 mpg at 1.39.7 a litre from Asda. I have NO COMPLAINTS. I use cruise control at between 68 and 72 mph unless traffic doesn't permit.

Need oil leak seeing too, but can't be much wrong if it's delivering good performance and economy. I feel good about this purchase.

I suspect the same problem with my X reg ML270CDI that I bought few months ago. Temperature is always low and rarely close to 80. I am getting only 22mpg in town. How to check is this thermostat problem? Will it show on OBD test? Should I change it and see what will happen? Have you managed to change it yourself ?

Thanks.

stojanos said:
I suspect the same problem with my X reg ML270CDI that I bought few months ago. Temperature is always low and rarely close to 80. I am getting only 22mpg in town. How to check is this thermostat problem? Will it show on OBD test? Should I change it and see what will happen? Have you managed to change it yourself ?

Thanks.

Cost me part plus £35 to replace and IT WORKED. TRUST THE GUYS ON HERE. Sounds just like my situation and I needed to told three times before I just did it. It was the cure!

400 miles to hertford and back and a couple of trips around the city form cold. 400 miles total. 29mpg.

Cruised at 73mpg max on the Motorway. generally at 70.

Was hoping to see 32-33mpg.

Life goes on.... :eek:/

LozML270 said:
400 miles to hertford and back and a couple of trips around the city form cold. 400 miles total. 29mpg.

Cruised at 73mpg max on the Motorway. generally at 70.

Was hoping to see 32-33mpg.

Life goes on.... :eek:/

You need a tuning box.

Worked wonders on my ML

Welcome this thread to 2016
My ml270 trip computer says 6L/100 kms but fuel bowser says never under 8.5 L/100
Did this model ever get 6L/100 ??
Cheers from Australia

I note the E270 is lighter and probably has a tranny with longer legs so a fuel use of 5.5L/100kms is possible ?

Well I will start with an apology for giving the thread another revival!! I however was born when it was started :D :D

I have had XC90, Disco, Pajero etc. XC90s are the biggest pile of poo ever made, having had two minters and just money pits with one faulty sensor, broken pump, electrical fault after another. Anyway....... always LOVED my E320 CDI and it served me so well, I am coming back to Mercs. My latest car is an Audi All Road 2004, which is an awesome car, superbly made, SUPERB off road and just brilliant in every way, well, ALMOST every way. I thought downsizing from a monster brick like the XC90 to a large estate car (A6 Allroad) would mean better fuel. I did all the research and it suggested I would be right. but i wasn't. I just did 700 miles at 80-85 mph which returned about 28-29. The most I have had is 32.5 and that was a very sedate motorway journey. That is RUBBISH for a car, yes a very heavy car, yes a car with haldex 4x4 system, but still, its not much better than a Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon (now we're talking!).

Here are my must haves..... not many.....

4 wheel drive
7 seats
Decent build quality

That brings me to Mercs, i never knew the MLs had 7 seats so I am now trying to learn all the different models etc. I want the best fuel economy I can get, 4 wheel drive and 7 seats. Could any of your experienced merc drivers please suggest a model for me? I have seen a ML270 CDI which is a decent price, will I get fuel consumption at least as good (hopefully better) than my Audi? If so, it's a no brainer. My audi has a little factory option double boot seat, which just about gets two small kids in. If I can have a merc with a much better amount of space, for simlar MPG or better, i will definitely change. Grateful for any thoughts, or at least if some people could just comment with what these 02-04 ish ML270s return on MPG these days, that would be great.
Thanks all

My ML 320cdi, driven at normal speeds gives me about 33/35 35 mpg, cross country averaging 45 mph, similar on motorway running at 60/75 mph , around town about 28-30 , these are in Summer, in Winter about 2 mpg less.
Obviously if I drive it with a heavy right boot, using the kick down it drops by about 4/ 5 mpg.
I had a E320 cdi previously and am very happy with the same engine in the ML, it feels quiet lively but think a 270 might feel a bit underpowered but have never driven one!

Hi, sorry I hadn't watched the thread but I have now. Thanks for that, I have to say, if you were selling me a car I would honestly have to wonder if you weren't telling the truth there!!!! I have spent DAYS at the computer reading every review I can find, every report, every forum thread. I have read countless reports of low to mid 20s, some touching 30 on a run, but mid 30s seemed pie in the sky. It feels hard to let just one person open up my mind to the GL again (as I do love them!) after so much research seemingly proving 30+mpg is not possible in these, but you are not selling a car and have no reason to tell porkies so I have to wonder if you just are lucky with your motor. I do know this happens. I have an Audi Allroad which is terrible on fuel, but I know of people who had them and got significantly better than my MPG figures. The trouble is, what are the chances of me getting one which does similar MPG?
Thanks for posting, I am going to have a fresh look at these now as they really are a cracking looking beast in my view, whether most people agree or not :D

Hello guys,

I just bought a ML270 automatic 04 plate to make a Europe trip about 3k miles. Had to fixed 2 injector leaks (which the previous owner "forgot" to mention) all serviced and new oils now including automatic gearbox.
Today i took it for a spin and i was shocked to find out it's consumption... 16-18mpg... this is enormous and i already make plans to sell it and buy another car.

Wheels are pumped up. Starts fine at first tick, accelerates smoothly and nice (not as quick as my nissan leaf), and i suspected something stiff underneath but is not the case as i can push the car fairly easily on my own on a flat surface.
I was reading above about thermostat. I only seen it where would 70 nowhere near 80c. Could this be such a big issue?
I realy like the car and i would give it one more chance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180705-204758_Torque (Lite)-1024x576.jpg
    Screenshot_20180705-204758_Torque (Lite)-1024x576.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 1
You can't trust Torque, not until you have calibrated and that takes miles of use and tweaking of the Torque set up.

Run a brim to brim and calculate .
Around town (summer) approx 25 mpg,
a good run at 60 mph expect just over 40 mpg.
General use 28mpg ish average.

Sort the stat and it will improve, I wouldn't expect by much though with our present heat wave.

We had an ML270 (6 speed manual version) for 6 years. According to Fuelio we averaged 31.465 mpg and that includes a few thousand miles towing an 1800kg twin axle caravan.

Great car. Loved it!

Last edited:
You can't trust Torque, not until you have calibrated and that takes miles of use and tweaking of the Torque set up.

Run a brim to brim and calculate .
Around town (summer) approx 25 mpg,
a good run at 60 mph expect just over 40 mpg.
General use 28mpg ish average.

Sort the stat and it will improve, I wouldn't expect by much though with our present heat wave.

m80 40mpg would be like a dream. I don't mind sticking to 60mph.
Not sure if i mentioned is an automatic transmission.
Will try the full tank this week at some point.

Yours is as close to the 2.7 Grand Cherokee as you'll get. Same engine and gearbox.
Larisa uses it as a commute car, 7 miles each way with some Derbyshire hills en route.

Her average over 8 years is 24 mpg (calculated) but that's short runs in traffic.
The best it's seen was me towing a 6x3 trailer, unladen, 1st to B'ham and on to Gloucester then home. That saw over 41 mpg.
Towing a 16' boat around Scotland its best was 29 mpg.
Runs to Beaumaris, with the A55 traffic, will see over 30 mpg

On a good run they can do well enough, but otherwise they're thirsty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom