Ml320d w164 sudden loss of transmission

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zebml320

Car
mercerdes ml320d w164
Hi everyone newbie here just recently bought an Ml320D sport 2005 W164 model was driving fine until one day last week whilst driving the ABS/ESP light come on and then on the message screen it lit up saying Rear Diff lock overheated please let it cool down but this was only after driving for a very short time anyway then whilst driving up a hill it revved up high whilst in Drive and lost power suddenly and kinda struggled up the hill then later on that very same day it did it again but this time on the flat but this time it lost nearly all power the revs just went really high and wouldn't really move so I had to Switch the car off/on to to be able to drive it again.
The ABS light come on again the following day so I decided to take it to a local mechanic who attached it to a non descript diagnostic machine and told me I had a rear Faulty ABS sensor and also some other codes regarding the transmission but he didn't know what they meant.
Anyway he advised me take it for a short test drive to see if the ABS light come back on but strangely this time when I put the car into Drive/Reverse it clunked into gear whereas it had been super smooth prior to this anyway as I set off this time it once again started to rev up high and loose all power so I had to once again park up but this time after switching off/on it would go into Drive/reverse ok and smoothly again but this time when you press the accelerator it would not move and just revs up high although it was showing that it's in gear so anyway got it transported to a different Indy who had access to a Star diagnostics but when he checked it only come up with ABS fault code and nothing else no codes for the transmission it actually passed all the in depth transmission checks and you could actually hear it go into the different gears whilst connected to the star so anyway got the Indy to drop the oil and change it but the oil pan was ok no fillings etc magnets were clean oil was in good condition didn't smell burnt or milk in colour so anyway he give it a full ATF change but once again the vehicle goes in gear ok but when you press the Accelorator it doesn't move so now I've booked into a local Transmission chap in Huddersfield in Yorkshire who reckons the oil pump is gone in the transmission and will require a strip down and change of pump etc. Sorry for the long winded post but I would greatly appreciate any advice on what the issue could be I suspect it's more mechanical than anything else but the Transmission guy reckons it's my pump within the transmission that gone but prior to all this happening I drove the vehicle all the way from Ipswich and had no issues on the long drive and no wired noises of any sort.

Last edited:
Get the fluid level checked, also check fluid colour and smell - if it looks brown and smells of "Burnt Almond" the you definitely need fluid change and possibly looking at a gear box rebuild...

The "differential locks" i.e. traction control on these cars is electronic via the selective braking of individual wheels. If the ABS sensor/s on one/or more of the wheels is faulty then its possible the rear wheel brakes are being constantly applied causing the transmission to flare due to drag? I would have a good look at the rear brakes for signs of overheated discs/calipers

Hi guys thanks for the prompt replies I'm hoping the rear diff lock message is releated to the Rear ABS sensor which I have had changed Prior to booking it at the transmission Specalist but as it won't drive I won't know whether now the Rear difflock message is no longer coming on. As for changing the ATF I have already done that and this has made no difference as it still won't move whilst in gear and also it didn't smell burnt or looked very dark in colour when I got it changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom