Mobile detection cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
So it’s been just over a week since the new 6 points and £200 fine for using a mobile device while driving has been put into action. With this a few cameras have been put up on some of the major high streets around Newcastle, which are there to catch drivers on their phone. I know technology develops very fast but how would a camera like this work. (I have just graduated with a computer networking degree last July, and coming to think of it, it would have been interesting to look into something like this for a final year project).

The only way I can see this working is by having your average CCTV cameras sending footage to a control room where officers are monitoring each car, on the off chance they detect a driver on their phone they would send the owner his/her certificate of achievement (penalty notice) via the post.

This post may become a debate on whether the 6 points are justifiable, however the sole purpose of the thread is to get a little insight to the new cameras.

Surely they are just 'normal' surveillance cameras. They can see whatever a policeman, standing in the same spot, could see. Software can recognise the image of a phone, just as it can indent faces. Reg plates recorded along with an image of the driver holding a phone, job done. PCN in the post.

If these cameras operate the same way as the CCTV cameras on our High Streets, then yes, continuous footage will be sent to a control room where it will be viewed constantly.

The cameras probably have the facility to zoom in and take a still photo of anyone using a mobile phone, along with their Reg number and a summons would follow.

Don't be too sure CCTV cameras aren't already doing this. Having been in a control room in Salisbury, I can see its quite possible.

Surely they are just 'normal' surveillance cameras. They can see whatever a policeman, standing in the same spot, could see. Software can recognise the image of a phone, just as it can indent faces. Reg plates recorded along with an image of the driver holding a phone, job done. PCN in the post.

Thats how I imagined they work, just CCTV cameras which have been given the name mobile cameras lol. To be honnest I cant see this working 70% of the time when the sun is glaring of a cars windscreen, the human eye can barely see a persons face when a car is head on in some lighting conditions.

I would imagine that these cameras work in the same way that cameras in junction do - i.e. monitored by Council or Police staff, and tickets issued for yellow box offenses or wrong turn etc. I doubt they have an algorithm to work out the silhouette of a driver holding a mobile phone.... and at any rate this cant be automated because there are plenty of foreign-plate LHD cars around.

Also, I can envisage receiving a fine for having something that looks like a phone in your hand; a hair brush for example might look a lot like a phone, and whilst it's still distracting it's no illegal.

Also, I can envisage receiving a fine for having something that looks like a phone in your hand; a hair brush for example might look a lot like a phone, and whilst it's still distracting it's no illegal.

Im sure I've read of successful prosecutions for eating apples or sandwiches, on the basis of lack of control of the vehicle, or similar catch-alls. This would be the same, surely? (Whoever Shirley is....)

Im sure I've read of successful prosecutions for eating apples or sandwiches, on the basis of lack of control of the vehicle, or similar catch-alls. This would be the same, surely? (Whoever Shirley is....)

I have never head of a drivers prosecuted got talking to their hairbrush. Sectioned, yes.... :D

Technology exists for using analytics of live video streams for recognising people using a phone whilst driving, amongst many other things that smart cities will be using them for.

People will check the output before issuing, but there is no need for people to be watching content in a control centre any more.

Not that they could be doing it that way in this instance, archaic though.

What cameras are these. The ones around Newcastle that have been making headlines in recent weeks are the ones that have been placed for bus lane enforcement and are council controlled ANPR cameras.
The only telephone prosecutions I have ever come across are those that are detected by the operator of the camera in the mobile camera vans.

Its not necessarily the cameras. Its the technology which is analysing the stream, smart cities have been introducing this type of technology for a number of years now for everything from traffic management to law enforcement.

The UK is lagging behind a bit compared to places like Singapore and Dubai but it is now slowly getting used here.

I have never head of a drivers prosecuted got talking to their hairbrush. Sectioned, yes.... :D

Translated to normal-full-size-keyboard-on-my-PC: :(

I have never heard of drivers prosecuted for talking to their hairbrush. Sectioned, yes....

If you are talking about the white CCTV cameras that are mounted on a pylon and have the ability to swivel and tilt, these are used to monitor the traffic flow and are controlled by the council from the civic centre and are just normal cameras.

If you are talking about the white CCTV cameras that are mounted on a pylon and have the ability to swivel and tilt, these are used to monitor the traffic flow and are controlled by the council from the civic centre and are just normal cameras.

Nope there are smaller black cameras which have recently been put up

I've not seen those. I will make some enquiries and report back.

The ones that have been seen in Newcastle are part of the councils new smart road network. They basically count the number of vehicles passing fixed points 24/7 and adjust the traffic light phasing accordingly to allow maximum traffic flow.
They started this off when they removed Cowgate roundabout and "improved" the junction.
There are actually quite a lot of them at the moment and their number will be increasing continuously, feeding information into a centralised computer that is linked to all the choke points and junctions.
So they are (almost) "motion" detecting cameras but not "mobile" detecting cameras.
I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the roads to flow freely.

They started this off when they removed Cowgate roundabout and "improved" the junction.

They have made a total shambles of that junction I found there was less congestion with a roundabout. I'll try to find an article about the 'mobile' cameras, I'm sure I came across something on Facebook a few days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom