Mobile 'phones and magnets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
I've recently noticed some articles/comments on the web suggesting that handset covers that have magnet-based fastenings could be damaging to the handset.

I've had such a cover for just over a year for my current Galaxy W and have never experienced any issues such as interference, data loss, poor quality 2g/3g signals, etc. Nor has my mum with her work-provided Blackberry.

Does anyone have any comment/thought/opinion or negative experience?

TIA, David.

I suspect that a strong enough magnetic field will do odd things to the battery and memory cards of the handset. I think solid state cards are more resistant to this kind of thing but not impervious.

I know that you can destroy bank cards with relatively small magnetic fields so yes, my advice would be to steer clear of 3rd party kit of this type that hasn't undergone manufacturer testing.

I've got the very cover described with a magnet catch on my HTC for the last year with no probs at all. Wife has same type on her Samsung also with no issues.

I've recently noticed some articles/comments on the web suggesting that handset covers that have magnet-based fastenings could be damaging to the handset.

I've had such a cover for just over a year for my current Galaxy W and have never experienced any issues such as interference, data loss, poor quality 2g/3g signals, etc. Nor has my mum with her work-provided Blackberry.

Does anyone have any comment/thought/opinion or negative experience?

You basically answered your own question.

The magnetic catches on these covers are not an issue with phones or other similar kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom