Mobile phones & driving = a bad idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
Last night , I had just got my son down to bed when the phone rang .

SWMBO was on the other end , and in-between the tears I managed to determine she had just been in a crash . About all she could tell me was that she was outside the BP petrol station in the nearby village . Fearing the worst , I got my 6 yo son back out of bed in his pyjamas and into the car , wrapped in a blanket , grabbed a camera and my phone , then made haste to the location .

On arrival , her car was on the forecourt , alongside a dark coloured hatchback . To my relief , no one appeared to be hurt , both she and the young man who had been driving the other car were walking around and had exchanged details .

Unfortunately , in the dark corner , away from the forecourt lighting , it was hard to see the extent of the damage to her Golf , the bumper looked badly scuffed , but that was about it ; the other car was much worse with the front end pretty much totalled : bumper and grille gone , headlamps smashed and bonnet buckled .

Both were in a state of shock , Jan shaking and wandering aimlessly - I got her to sit in my car ; the young man was waiting for his dad who was on his way - he was not my main concern so I let him be in as much as he was wandering about an empty area of the forecourt and in no immediate danger .

Inside the car , Jan was able to tell me that she had been slowing to enter the petrol station , signalling left ( independent witness corroborates this ) when the car behind simply ran into the back of her . The young man had admitted to her he was on his phone and just didn't see her slowing ! I don't know what speed he was doing - it was the village bypass with a 50 mph limit .

When the father arrived , we all got out , I asked both of them if there was any dispute over what happened , to his credit , the young man admitted blame . Since neither could remember insurance details , we agreed to phone later . It so happened the father works in a local garage and arrived in a recovery truck to take his son's car away ; Jan's Golf was still drivable , with all lights working .

I was unsure about her ability to drive , but she insisted on driving the mile or so home . Once home and settled , I went out and had a better look at her car , thankfully the tailgate still opens and shuts fine , the boot floor looks OK with the access panel for the spare wheel still opening and shutting fine ; the only other damage seems to be the exhaust which is now leaking somewhere - looks like his car ran under her bumper and hit the tailpipe , causing damage somewhere .

Then , after about an hour , Jan started complaining about a sore neck and back - despite my protestations , she refused to go to A&E , or to have a doctor come ...

I must emphasise I am only concerned about her welfare and have no interest in a 'whiplash claim' but I know how soft tissue damage can manifest . Despite giving her painkillers and anti-inflammatory medicines I had , she was still very sore this morning .

Later last night , the lad's father had phoned , asking after Jan and her car , and offering to repair the car for us . I had also said to Jan that I would rather not go down the insurance route since the car , and X-reg Golf would be written off for a few hundred , but having been in the family since almost new was a known reliable car which we wouldn't want to lose over something like this . I'm guessing the lad is only in his late teens and his insurance will be astronomical , hence he doesn't need the hit this incident would cause him . Since he seems to be genuinely shaken and remorseful , we are at least talking about his offer . I know that otherwise I could go to the breaker and get a back bumper for £25 or so ( getting one for a Mk IV Golf estate and in silver might not be so easy ) and see what is needed for the exhaust , so it wouldn't cost a fortune to put right ; I'd rather do that than let the car be written off .

So , two cars damaged , one much more badly than the other , a lot of tears and stress , some injury ALL BECAUSE AN IDIOT WAS ON THE PHONE WHEN HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN CONCENTRATING * ON THE TASK OF DRIVING .

* Concentration : the full application of mind and body to a particular endeavour to the complete exclusion of everything not relevant to that endeavour

The above was drilled into me during training - pity it isn't for everyone .

Really sorry to hear your story and pleased that everyone is not too badly hurt. Totally agree with your comments about mobile use too.
Word of caution re whiplash as I got rear ended some years ago on M4 slip. Ended up with serious neck /shoulder pain which culminated in key hole surgery for my rotator cuff. Painful and expensive!

Sorry to hear that, hope Jan is OK. My wife was in an accident recently, and it's always one hell of a shock (it was first time ever for my wife). Good on you guys for not going down the PI (personal injury) route.

Funnily enough I had a call from a PI company yesterday, the caller seemed to be incredulous that I had no interest in getting some free money!

The one upside of not going through insurance is not having to deal with insurers and ambulance chasers, oh, and of course the peace of mind which comes of doing the right thing. Also you possibly don't need to go too cheap on the repairs. Reasonable for the other party to fork out for proper parts I should have thought!?

Anyway, just lucky that nobody was seriously hurt or worse, and hopefully he'll have learned a very valuable lesson. Reminds me, must get my Mcar fitted!

Thanks for the comments .

I'll be wary of Jan's condition tonight and , if she's any worse , I'll be calling the doc despite her wishes otherwise :devil:

As for the car , I don't mind a secondhand bumper ( the car is 10 + years old ) but the exhaust or any other parts needed will be proper items and not cheap rubbish . If chummy doesn't want to play ball , I can notify the insurance , which he has much more reason to not want than we do .

Just glad all concerned are ok.
Bloody annoying though.

Hope for a speedy recovery for all,
The use of phones frightens me a lot, recently I have been on the m62/m60 everyday for a month and its mind boggling the amount of drivers absorbed with there devices old and young alike.

Look in your rear view mirror when stopped at lights and you'll see people reading/texting/using a phone at least 25% of the time :devil:

Look in your rear view mirror when stopped at lights and you'll see people reading/texting/using a phone at least 25% of the time :devil:
It's the texting and internet stuff that really scares me. Only having just got my E220 the phone thing is a novelty (anything on the E220 is a novelty compared to my previous and rather agricultural Kia Sorento) but I would never attempt to dial out when on the move, so much concentration is lost.

I'm guessing the lad is only in his late teens and his insurance will be astronomical , hence he doesn't need the hit this incident would cause him .

Tough. He should have thought of that earlier.

ALL BECAUSE AN IDIOT WAS ON THE PHONE WHEN HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN CONCENTRATING * ON THE TASK OF DRIVING .

* Concentration : the full application of mind and body to a particular endeavour to the complete exclusion of everything not relevant to that endeavour

The above was drilled into me during training - pity it isn't for everyone .

Now drill it into him. Otherwise, this rubbish will continue. Also, given that your wife has sustained an injury, I think it imprudent to avoid informing insurers of the situation.
I may have mellowed by tomorrow, but now, I say punish and him be damned and let it be seen that driving using a phone endangering others is unacceptable.

Sorry to hear about the incident and I hope all ends well. It pays to be cautious in these situations as an agreement not to involve the insurance companies can be renaged on by the other party. It happened to my son who found himself blamed for an accident. Luckily he had taken plenty of photographs and the blame rebounded onto the other party: much to their cost. In your case, it all appears pretty watertight though. As for mobile phones, my opinion is that their use by drivers of moving vehicles is a dangerous distraction, even if they are hands-free.

This may not be a popular view... but my (IT) professional opinion is that there will be a discussion leading to ergonomic standards for online interactive communication in the cabin.

At current it's de-facto - people use smartphones, and the manufacturers add features that distract drivers.

There will be a standardised compromise that will see interfaces that are legally permitted for use while driving.

I am not advocating it... this is a prediction, not a wish.

Yes driving should mean two hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road. But this is not the case... at current cars' infotainment systems do much more than is necessary to drive the car. There is no standard as to what it right and what is not. And the blanket ban on use of smartphones simply means that drivers just use them anyway.

I recently saw a black cab with an iPhone for Hailo, a Tablet for GetTaxi, a TomTom SatNav, and a personal phone with hands free earpiece to chat to the wife while driving the cab... all operated by the resourceful cabbie.

Incidentally, the other issue was the windscreen area taken by all these devices...

At current these occur spontaneously. Instead, we will have agreed rules and standards as to how we go online while driving.

Last edited:

If they're stopped, what's the problem?

I recently saw a black cab with an iPhone for Hailo, a Tablet for GetTaxi, a TomTom SatNav, and a personal phone with hands free earpiece to chat to the wife while driving the cab... all operated by the resourceful cabbie.

Police traffic cars are pretty similar, but with added stress.

They are committing an offence. A social care worker in our village was successfully prosecuted when she pulled up at the side of a residential road and used her mobile with the engine running. Unjust, perhaps, but against the letter of the law.:(

Can you end a mid flow communication at the drop of a hat (change of a light)?

I'd find it hard.

The first and most important issue here is Jan's health. I'm 100% with you on not wanting to go down the claims route and I applaud you and Jan for that. But, we often hear of serious medical issues arising days, months or even years after a whiplash injury. Without reporting this through the correct channels I should think that there wouldn't be any legal right to costs for medical treatment (and any other associated costs such as loss of earnings). You won't want to skimp on Jan's treatment if, heaven forbid, you ever need to. IMO you should report this to your insurance company, also explaining to the lad's father why you're reluctantly taking this route.

I'm also sympathetic to Bellow's opinion that the lad, and his family and his friends, are more likely to take note that mobile phone use whilst driving IS dangerous. He'll soon forget the relatively small costs of car repairs that his dad will do. He won't forget the massive insurance costs every year!

Because Jan was injured (albeit not knowingly at the time of the crash, and hopefully not seriously) shouldn't this also be reported to the police? Is there a possibility that the lad has been reported for using his phone whilst driving before and thus reluctant, along with his dad, to involve insurance and the likely attention of the police? Reporting this all through the proper channels MAY stop him from killing someone next time. It's your call of course.

Finally, I completely endorse your call for concentration. It's not speed that kills, it's lack or lapse of concentration.

Finally, I completely endorse your call for concentration. It's not speed that kills, it's lack or lapse of concentration.

+1. For this very reason I would be happy to see even hands free calls abolished.:doh: I might be unpopular in saying this, but I have found that even having Viseeo and total handsfree, my attention wanders if talking on the phone whilst driving. Concentration is not 100% and to me that is dangerous.

Going back to the OP, I hope your wife is now feeling better. Once a claim is put into an insurance company, even years later you will be bothered by ambulance chasing accident claims vultures wanting you to make a claim.
Two years after my non fault bump, I still get them with annoying regularity.

Because Jan was injured (albeit not knowingly at the time of the crash, and hopefully not seriously) shouldn't this also be reported to the police? .

IMO, yes it should be. An offence was committed and an injury resulted.

I also add that if he failed to see a car - what hope for bikers?

Three things are required.

1 Car repair
2 Behaviour modification
3 Physical recovery

1 is relatively unimportant
2 would be nice
3 is in the lap of the gods.

I think I would want to see the perp stamp on his phone.

If there is an injury is it not a requirement to inform the Police?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom