Mobile phones in India

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
There are 9 of us going to India soon

We were planning on buying a few local mobiles to keep in touch.

I'm now told that foreigners can't buy mobiles / SIM cards

Is this true?

It was when I was living there. However there are plenty of locals who will buy a sim for you.

Palfrem said:

Is this true?

Get yourself a Lycamobile SIM when you get to India. FREE Lycamobile to Lycamobile (even India to UK). Get your loved one a UK lyca SIM (free if ordered via website or £3 in newsagents) and you can then call each other for free. HTH.

Thanks chaps. Is there no question that will stump the collective?!

Lycamobile sounds interesting.

by the time people have finished with does and donts you might be better not going

by the time people have finished with does and donts you might be better not going

I had a great time on my trip but my girlfriend got ill from fake water, we lost a week of our trip due to this.

Advice from the hospital has stayed with me since and all trips I make anywhere i suspect the water quality (even in European countries)
I use water treatment tablets nothing worse that being ill in a foreign country miles from home.

They will have a great time there I'm sure :)

Last edited:

Is this true?

Yes this is correct! It can sometimes take a few days to get one too and they need a fair bit of paperwork so best person would be a local.

Officially - yes, only locals can but a SIM.

That said, most vendors will happily sell you a SIM that they've "bought" for themselves.

Last I was in Bombay, there was a LycaMobile stall at the exit of the airport with a set of "pre-purchased" SIMs that were on sale without too many questions asked.

M.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom