Mod to remove exhaust tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crustyclam

Car
ML63 2007
I was thinking about polishing my exhaust chrome tips today, they look like they could do with a little spruce up. Took a peek and was gutted to find I could not remove them. Assumed they would be like my last diesel ML. Nice to have the option of taking them off, sitting in a comfortable chair (especially in summer time, sat outside).

So looking at the exhaust it appears the quad tips are welded with a short piece of tubing. Just wondering if anyone has modded to allow them to be removed for easy cleaning. Thinking it should be a simple job.

Tempted to visit a bespoke exhaust place I have used in the past, they pretty much can do whatever you want.

Last edited:
I did mine on my hands and knees (in the summer) using a drill with a wire attachment then a̶n̶u̶s̶o̶l̶ autosol with fine wire wool to finish.

What car is it? My tips are removable. A torx bolt allows them to be adjusted in and out, and to be removed if you completely remove the bolt.

What car is it? My tips are removable. A torx bolt allows them to be adjusted in and out, and to be removed if you completely remove the bolt.
I believe it's a 2007 W164 ML63 AMG

My last ML had the option to remove the tips with a torx screw, but that does not appear to be the case for my current model

I thought they are riveted in place?

I think different cars have different zausts. Mine's just one bolt per tip, so one either side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom