Modernising & perfecting a minty W124 300D Turbo!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Exactly! the output shaft yolk (doodad) on the 722.6 needs to come from a V8 powered car as it's the same size as the as that from a diesel 722.3, that is mounted to the back of an OM603. These were bigger then those used on the 6 cylinder gasoline cars, I assume to handle the extra torque.

Got it :thumb:. So is the 722.6 the same length as the 722.3 so the shaft will bolt straight up? And I presume it will need some sort of gearbox crossmember fabricated?

And to the OP...you’ll also need the torque converter and mounting disc that goes with the 722.6.

Got it :thumb:. So is the 722.6 the same length as the 722.3 so the shaft will bolt straight up? And I presume it will need some sort of gearbox crossmember fabricated?

And to the OP...you’ll also need the torque converter and mounting disc that goes with the 722.6.

Torque converter tends to come together with a used gearbox. Mounting disc? Not heard of one of those... What's that specifically please - and where would it go?

Mounting disc or drive plate. Thin metal disc with the ring gear bolts to crankshaft then TC bolts to that. Takes place of flywheel on manual car. Unlikely the .3 will be the same as the .6

I think it was a tiny bit smaller but not enough to make a difference. If I recall, he may have pinched the cross member from my R129 parts car.

Mounting disc or drive plate. Thin metal disc with the ring gear bolts to crankshaft then TC bolts to that. Takes place of flywheel on manual car. Unlikely the .3 will be the same as the .6.

Ah yes - thanks. Will have to ask for that when buying a gearbox.... I wonder if it'll bolt to the crankshaft and have the right number of teeth and diamter for the starter motor then?

Mounting disc or drive plate. Thin metal disc with the ring gear bolts to crankshaft then TC bolts to that. Takes place of flywheel on manual car. Unlikely the .3 will be the same as the .6 .

Noted, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom