MOT check website - spurious fail shown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Had a play with the MOT website for the first time today:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Earlier in the month I put Mrs BTB's S203 in for MOT and it passed. This is shown on the website, but there's a previous entry (on the same day, and with the same mileage) showing a fail
Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Rear Electronic parking brake control defective so that it cannot be satisfactorily operated not working (3.1.3c)
Offside Rear Electronic parking brake control defective so that it cannot be satisfactorily operated not working (3.1.3c)
Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)

It doesn't have electronic parking brakes! I assume this was just a cockup of some kind by the MOT station? :dk:

Suggest you contact them to get the record changed ASAP. My MOT 2 years ago recorded my mileage as 344000 rather than 34000, realised it too late to have it corrected by the tester. Just cost me a few hundred pounds when I P/Xed the car even though I had a MB dealer service showing 8 weeks later at 35000 Mls.

It doesn't have electronic parking brakes! I assume this was just a cockup of some kind by the MOT station? :dk:

Almost certainly. I've witnessed cars failed for faulty ABS where it's not even fitted.

Amongst the many checks that DVSA monitor for a given MOT station is the deviation of the pass/fail rate to the national average.

Maybe, for whatever reason, this station wanted a fail to be recorded?

PS There's a 14 working day limit to appeal against a fail. Not sure if this limit applies to this spurious failure though?

There's a general MOT customer service contact item, after the specific pass/fail appeal processes on the DVSA website:

Contact DVSA if you’re not happy with your MOT service.
DVSA
Telephone: 0300 123 9000
Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6pm

Last edited:
Make sure this does not stay on your record, when you come to sell buyers will see the fail if they check mot history and assume poor servicing. You only have 7 days ( if my memory is correct ) to get the testing station to change the entry, after that it is on the car's record permanently

Perhaps it's even more simple? - The tester didn't realise it was a foot-operated parking brake, pulled the handle they could see and the brakes didn't engage; fail.

Then they realised that handle releases the parking brake, and that it does work; pass.

Still their mistake, and not a genuine fail.

There was similar thread a few years ago after records went live. I checked my classic car and discovered it failed on reg plate light and stop light which was pure lie. I think they just fail it to keep stats average. No one mentioned it to me when I collected the car. It annoyed me as well because car had perfect MOT record before and it looked like I'm not taking care of it properly.

MOT testers test the car entered for the MOT and they record the fails and advisories on the car as presented. If the fault is easily fixed they sort it on the spot and then issue a pass.

I am normally present for all my MOTs - I have an excellent relationship with local garage/MOT station and I like to see the underside. I took my W114 coupe there for its first MOT since being put back on the road and I actually helped with many of the checks. It failed because the aim from both headlights was too low. David then adjusted them and it passed. There is nothing untoward or objectionable about this, test results are analysed by the DVSA and checked on. As an example, the head of workshop at Project Shop (the guys who restored my W114) was an MOT tester of 25 years at his last employer. He found numerous cars with headlight alignment out, which as we know can blind oncoming traffic, so failed them on it. The DVSA actually came to the garage to check that his equipment was working properly as the results were out of line with the national average.

The MOT testers I worry about aren't those who correctly record problems and sort them - it's the ones who issue entirely dubious passes for mates or business relationships. If I have a safety fault with my car I want to know and I also want to know when buying a car the MOT is a correct record of its condition.

Last edited:
They have just entered somebody elses results onto your car.
I am not sure it can be removed though. The MOT station certainly cannot do it. You will have to ring DVSA to see what they can do.

OK thanks guys. I've found an online form where you can report problems with the data but you need the VIN (as well as the registration) so I'll give it a go when I'm at home.

My guess is the tester inputted your car details when failing another vehicle. Then realised it was incorrect and had to amend it.

EDIT: Just seen Jay's reply

That was my first thought, but the mileage is correct for my car.

MOT tester writes down your reg and mileage on a sheet, along with any faults picked up.

When he goes to input onto the system, he has put in your reg and mileage along with someone else's failures. Just lack of concentration

Had a play with the MOT website for the first time today:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Earlier in the month I put Mrs BTB's S203 in for MOT and it passed. This is shown on the website, but there's a previous entry (on the same day, and with the same mileage) showing a fail

I have been using it frequently during past weeks, this happens frequently
especially during late afternoon /early evening.
If re-presented the next morning, the correct information is given.

Yes, I have repeatedly reported it.

I have been using it frequently during past weeks, this happens frequently
especially during late afternoon /early evening.
If re-presented the next morning, the correct information is given.

Interesting, but the 'fail' for our car always comes up no matter what time of day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom