Motoring pleasures, the complete catalogue...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swiss Toni

MB Enthusiast
Car
Pedestrian
:rolleyes:

Logging what you hate about the habits of other drivers is easy enough and I'm sure a psychologist would have a field day, but it occurred to me...

...not a thread about the joys of the open road, but...

What behaviours/habits do you really appreciate in other drivers?

I'll kick off with

Being thanked (Courtesy) or just acknowledged.

:)

Excellent idea. Something positive at last.

I like drivers observant enough to move to the left lane when they see you approaching in their mirror.

Better still, when you're about to come up to slow moving traffic on a motorway and need to overtake - those in the outside lane that just ease off the throttle to give you a chance to move to their lane.

I also like courteous drivers who acknowledge your giving way to them, I always thank people when appropriate.

:) I wonder how many of us actually do thank other road users? (apart from HGV\LGV drivers)

What a pleasant change to have someone actually suggest a positive.

John

I'll go along with the thought that courtesy brings courtesy.

My pleasure is driving my car on a long journey in good weather and pleasant company.:rock:

Surely , one of the greatest motoring pleasures must just be sitting behind that three pointed star ?

I was thinking more along the lines of what behaviour in others you appreciate...

Agree with all of the above. I always thank people who let me out or move out of my way. Why? Because it's common courtesy and I know how good I feel when I get thanked - so spread a little happiness;)

Motoring pleasures...............I like to be curteous to other road users and have the respect returned, for some reason it makes me happy. I gain a lot of pleasure out of sitting behind the 3 pointed star and not careing what other drivers think, especially the Chav variety who take great pleasure out of screaming away from the traffic lights. Driving for me is enjoyment, a chance to put the world to rights, a chance to sort out any problems I may have. A reality check, "am I really driving one of the worlds greatest cars?"

Same here, I like it when bus drivers stick their hand out of the window and give me thumbs up when I let them out of a bus stop. Guess we all like courtesy! I also like it when somebody with a better car than mine( not too difficult) parks next to me in a car park, at least then the car thieves won't steal mine!

A couple of times when I've let a breakdown truck into a lane, rather than hazards, indicators, thumbs up etc I've had a quick spin of the roof-lights! That always raises a smile :)

If I had roof-lights, I'd do that every time!

In fact, there are factory W202 roof-lights, police/fire/ambulance/doctor/other. Murder on the fuel economy but so cool :)

535633558571200354027PM.jpg

:crazy:

Shude said:

In fact, there are factory W202 roof-lights, police/fire/ambulance/doctor/other. Murder on the fuel economy but so cool :)

I've got a set that clip onto the roof rails of my 124 estate (only for use going to incidents , of course) . Most of the time they live in the boot.

All the above make driving so much nicer and makes my feel so much happier! I also like it when i've moved over so that a motorbiker can get past safely and he gives the pleasent hand gesture. I dont know if this one counts but when your in a car park and some offers you there ticket with plenty of time still left that you can do that one little thing you popped into town for.

Loving this Topic

'Racing' with somebody who knows how to drive properly on Welsh country lanes. Even better if they don't know how to drive properly and you're in front! Byeeee!

Fandango said:
Excellent idea. Something positive at last.

Better still, when you're about to come up to slow moving traffic on a motorway and need to overtake - those in the outside lane that just ease off the throttle to give you a chance to move to their lane.
I tend to do almost the opposite..looking ahead and anticipating that a vehicle on the inside lane is catching up with a vehicle in front of them, then instead of just carrying on at the same speed and causing them to have to slow down until I pass before they overtake, I speed up a little and pass them so they can maintain their speed and overtake as they get closer to the vehicle in front of them., this would always depend on the general traffic conditions around me though

Sometimes its nice to put your foot down and have a good excuse for doing it :D

jimti said:
I tend to do almost the opposite..looking ahead and anticipating that a vehicle on the inside lane is catching up with a vehicle in front of them, then instead of just carrying on at the same speed and causing them to have to slow down until I pass before they overtake, I speed up a little and pass them so they can maintain their speed and overtake as they get closer to the vehicle in front of them., this would always depend on the general traffic conditions around me though
Should you be in the outside lane in a 42 tonner?:D

Swiss Toni said:
:rolleyes:
What behaviours/habits do you really appreciate in other drivers?
I got a smile from a lovely lady the other day. Don't know why. Which made it even better. :)

Shude said:
A couple of times when I've let a breakdown truck into a lane, rather than hazards, indicators, thumbs up etc I've had a quick spin of the roof-lights! That always raises a smile :)

LOL - I once was given a loan Sprinter (LWB) in plain white that had these organge flash lights on the roof - I had a bit of fun with those too...:D :devil: There was a switch inside the cabin to activate/deactivate them.

Funny one was when we passed a Police car is slow moving traffic and the Officers just looked at us but said nothing... :bannana:

Flash said:
LOL - I once was given a loan Sprinter (LWB) in plain white that had these organge flash lights on the roof - I had a bit of fun with those too...:D :devil: There was a switch inside the cabin to activate/deactivate them.nothing... :bannana:

Hi Flash,
Funny you should say that :) There is a LWB 311 Sprinter parked in our driveway with orange lights on the roof. Our Sprinter is being serviced as we speak.

John

glojo said:
Our Sprinter is being serviced as we speak.

John - has it gone in for an Oil Service Plus (one spanner display on ASYST or the two spanner?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom