Motorway road works speed limits could be increased

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Like the title says, road works speed limits on motorways could be increased.

Speed limits for motorway roadworks could be raised in England under plans aimed at reducing congestion.

Currently the normal speed for such stretches of road is 50mph (80km/h).

But trials carried out by Highways England found drivers' heart rates were lower when they drove at 55mph (88km/h) and 60mph (96km/h) through roadworks.

The government-owned company said the new limits could come into effect in some areas this year, but unions warn it would put motorway workers at risk.

The news report said drivers had higher heart rates at fifty than sixty, due to tailgating by HGVs. The higher limit allowed them to drive away from the lorries.

Many moons ago, I sadly witnessed a Motorway worker being killed on the M4 by a driver who (only he knows why) decided to ignore the miles of signage advising (A) of the roadworks and (B) Lane closures. He overtook me at "Speed" thumping through the cones one at a time, before hitting this poor chap, who was trapped with no escape. Police estimated the speed at impact was 80mph. In court the driver stated that he accelerated to try and get ahead of the traffic before the lane closed and that he misjudged his timing.

My thoughts then, and now. He just wanted to get ahead of everybody else and expected that everybody else would get out his way. By the time that everybody else realised what was happening? They had no time to react. It was referred to as an "accident". I never saw it as an accident. I saw him drive at the chap who had absolutely no where to go. I saw it as murder/manslaughter.

There will always be those who think that whatever the speed limit in place, their journey is worth that risk. Without any attempt at being overly dramatic here, sitting in the wet on that Motorway looking at what was left of the poor chap who lost his life taught me that nothing is worth that few seconds. Looking at his widow in the Coroners Court only strengthened that view in me.

I completely agree, Bruce.

However, there needs to be a bit of common sense applied - and that’s what the article seemed to suggest: where there are particularly narrow lanes and/or the presence of workers then lower limits would remain in force. However, where risk is low to negligible (how many of us have droned through miles of absolutely deserted roadworks at the prescribed 50mph limit) then it would be perfectly reasonable to have a higher limit applied.

I have every sympathy with those who have to work on live carriageways and agree that we should do all that’s reasonable to make their position safer. The sad fact remains however, that being hit by a vehicle travelling at 50mph will have exactly the same consequences as being hit by one travelling at 60mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop the lorries using the outside lanes and reduce their speed to 40mph. Everyone will be safe.

They talk about smart motorways. How about smart road works where the speed limit is raised when no work is being done - which as we know can be most of the time.
There has been a 30mph restriction on the A34 dual carriage way near Wilmslow for 18 months and I swear no work has taken place for 95% of that time. Seriously the goverment needs to get a lot smarter about managing roadworks. If they don't then it demonstartes they couldn't care less about emissions and pollution.

I sometimes feel that I'm the only driver staying within the 50 limit on motorway roadworks restrictions. I set cruise control at 50 and stay there. I don't mean to sound self-righteous its just what I do. If it is raised to 60 I'll do 60.
Streams of cars pass and angry truckers tailgate me. I admit its stressful but the limit is for a reason. Usually.
If I needed to be somewhere sooner I'd have left home earlier.
No sympathy for those who get caught and fined/points and for people who cause death and injury only utter contempt.

Apologies for what sounds like a rant.

While agreeing that variable speed limits are a good idea and with portable radio controlled digital speed limit signage that should be a matter of a couple of keystrokes on a computer to change according to conditions, I'm not so sure of the speed limit increase not because of the "dead at 60 is the same as dead at 50 arguement" but because of the increased stopping distances/momentum involved particularly wrt HGV vehicles possibly meaning the difference between an accident and a narrow escape? :dk:

There are long sections of the M6 in the North with average speed cameras at 50mph and one at 40. Seems to be an open invite to be tailgated by wagons presumably as the frustrated drivers try to achieve their target delivery times, and for some car drivers to belt along at 60 and then brake just before the cameras- average speed clearly being incomprehensible to them.

Simple solution,
When road workers are present 50Mph
When there are no road workers 60mph or even 70mph

How has no one ever come up with this?

The issue as others have mentioned is lorries tailgating due to frustration on delivery times. It does raise the heart rate when all you see through the rear view mirror is the middle of the grill and headlights of a large articulate only inches from the glass. Does 60mph stop this? I don't think so.
I've stopped commuting many moons ago and try to drive motorways outside peak times but then I get more stressed than the average driver in claustrophobic traffic. The other time coming back from Yorkshire I ended up on the M25 at Friday peak evening traffic. So pretty much everything is to a standstill. The car in front edged one car's length and the lorry behind started flashing his lights because I did not immediately fill that gap. :rolleyes:

It does raise the heart rate when all you see through the rear view mirror is the middle of the grill and headlights of a large articulate only inches from the glass. Does 60mph stop this? I don't think so.

It would have done when HGV's were limited to 56MPH but the limit was raised to 60 a couple of years back.

lorries are not allowed in the outside lane of a two+ lane motorway and do you mean reduced the speed to 40 permanently??!!!!!!! really?

Well I was on the M42 once with Polish lorry in front. He didn't care too much about not legally being allowed in the third lane since the traffic was chock-a-block. He nudged into the third lane in front of me because I was trying to leave a gap to the vehicle in front, it was a bit narrow for his articulate and his outer wheels starting rumbling on the gravel off the verge (next to the central barrier of the motorway). This then spat gravel stones onto my bonnet and I couldn't slow down quick enough to stop this because if I braked hard then the car which was stuck to my bumper behind me would have rear-ended me :(. I guess the lorry driver was not aware of UK laws or did not care.

I'm all for the changing speed limit. - Same thing as with school zones; when there are no children present there's no need to go slower.

No workmen in the road, maybe not the full 70mph but a higher limit. I'd even go slower in the sections where they're working; I'd be frustrated about it at the time, but I'd rather not be the one who killed someone.

If I get tailgated I ease off the accelerator until an even larger gap opens up in front. Most of the time the tailgater will then overtake. If the vehicle has any major branding (driver is not the boss) then I will quite happily contact their company.

A couple of weeks ago I was in the third lane. The car two in front put its brakes on. The car in front had to then slam its brakes on to avoid crashing and ended up sideways in front of me. Thankfully for her I left my usual large gap and avoided ploughing into her door. I spent the next few seconds watching my rear view mirror and hoping everyone behind would stop in time. When she pulled away I could see the look of absolute terror on her face. Hopefully she learned her lesson.

Although the "limit" was raised to 60 trucks are still physically limited to 56

Are they. So a genuine 60 should keep you clear of tail gating trucks. Is the physical limit because 56 still applies in Europe.

56 is the most economical speed which is why it's the limit and target for lorries.

Bruce that story really upsets me. Hate hearing stuff like that.

Unconvinced about any legitimate time saving and convinced that collisions (not "accidents") happen around road works.

It's important to slow down in risk areas, whether it's road works or congestion. That's where the collisions happen.

My local A3 into London used to be permanently backed up with stopped cars "back in the day" when it was 70mph all the way up to the Kingston By-pass. Then they put in the 50mph limit for the last eight miles. What happened? Cars just ran more smoothly at 55mph and stop start disappeared for all but the busiest hour or two of the day.

Sat Nav estimates of journey time are a sobering reminder that your door to door time is predictable. You can drive on the accelerator and brakes all you want, but it doesn't make a lot of difference to the overall journey time.

Now, increase the National Speed limit to 80mph, away from the towns, now that would be a good idea.

If we started to use the third lane for overtaking only, that would increase the capacity of the road network. (Instead of this current system of inside lane only for those on the phone, or leaving the motorway at the next junction.) The Germans are SO much better than us in this respect.

And restrict drivers under 21 to 50mph. (Drivers between the age of 17-20 kill 400 people a year - a quarter of all road deaths)

Here's the OECD's take on why the car is the most likely cause of death for someone under 25: http://www.oecd.org/itf/37556934.pdf

If we started to use the third lane for overtaking only, that would increase the capacity of the road network. (Instead of this current system of inside lane only for those on the phone, or leaving the motorway at the next junction.) The Germans are SO much better than us in this respect.
Sorry for now taking this thread off topic, but what used to be a few drivers hogging the middle lane seems to have morphed into almost everybody avoiding the nearside lane. Either driving habits have worsened significantly or I'm getting even grumpier as I get older!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom