Motorway road works speed limits could be increased

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The problem is that if all the slow traffic is in the nearside lane, and all the fast-moving traffic is in the outside lane, everyone doing the speed limit ends up in the middle lane.

It's definitely worse than it was five years ago around the South East.

A proper "stay in the middle lane in case you swerve while drinking your coffee, checking your makeup or answering the phone" culture now.

Not helped by everyone driving near the speed limit, now that even the Grannies and Students cars are all comfortable at any (legal) speed.

Call me "old fashioned," but I still always use the nearside lane when tidying my eye shadow.

Virtually every 50mph set of motorway roadworks and I prefer to be be in L1/2 with the HGVs. My experiences
  • generally a larger/safer gap than those in Lane 3/4
  • maintain a steady speed much more consistently
  • can stop a lot quicker than a wagon, if need to
  • have an "escape" lane
  • skill and anticipation of wagon drivers is way higher than most car drivers
I cannot recall the last time that I feel that I have been tailgated by a HGV in 50mph roadworks.

Perhaps some drivers need to take some advanced.ROSPA, pass plus or similar tuition to improve their roadcraft.

We all have to share congested, badly maintained, poorly policed and poor drivers on our roads. Raising the limit to 60mph to alleviate tailgating by HGVs :)

I sort of understand where the lorry drivers are coming from, they know their vehicle and the roads well enough to work out an accurate speed reading despite what the speedo says and also what speed they can get away with. As a result they feel frustrated by someone dithering along at 45 when they could easily do 10moph more withoiut issue.

Most of us will know what a true 50 looks like and that we can get away with 55, will set the limiter to 50-60 and have to brake for the ditherers.

Sorry for now taking this thread off topic, but what used to be a few drivers hogging the middle lane seems to have morphed into almost everybody avoiding the nearside lane. Either driving habits have worsened significantly or I'm getting even grumpier as I get older!

I now mostly use lane 1 as it's clearer than 2 and 3 and as it''s not illegal to undertake in a safe manner when the outer 2 lanes are congested it's a winner. I'm sure I must be the most unpopular person on the motorway, but then again the lane 2 hoggers, (lazy or scared of lane changing) are totally ignorant that they are at fault and causing congestion!

Having retired, 5 years ago, I have not used our motorway network for most of that time, u to date.

However, a couple of weeks ago I had a trip from Kent to the Lake District and was surprised that most of the 50mph restricted motorways, due to roadworks, were actually 40 mph restrictions. That's M6, M5, M42. All in the name of creating Smart motorways, whatever the hell they are.

I also noticed that many hard shoulders have gone, to make 3 lanes into 4, and been replaced with a lay by, approx 1 mile apart, which will take a few vehicles.

The times, they are a changin'.

I quite like the idea of smart motorways.

The variable speed limits tend to keep the traffic flowing, I'd far rather do a constant 50mph than 80 for a bit and then crawl past major towns/cities.

Who wouldn't want to run down the hard shoulder to get to your exit quicker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom