1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

Mount spare wheel on Vito rear barn door?

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by thebeardedsheff, Oct 8, 2016.

1. thebeardedsheff

thebeardedsheff Member

Car:
    Vito 111C
    This is gonna sound sad. But..

I need a solution. I will be carrying foodstuffs, all sealed and packaged (importing to U.K. from Spain) using my Vito. It's a SWB/compact and as such the spare is currently stored internally over the NSR wheel arch. I want to put it on the back door.

I'm thinking something like GMC/CHEVROLET/DODGE do with their day-vans from the 80s and 90s.

Has anyone tried this.? I'm wondering if the panel is strong enough... (and where I'd find the kit!)

Any pointers hugely appreciated!

Cheers

Mike

2. OP
    OP
    thebeardedsheff

thebeardedsheff Member

Car:
    Vito 111C
  3. BTB 500

BTB 500 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL500, 639 Vito 120 Dualiner Long, S203 C230 Avantgarde SE Sport
    Never heard of anyone doing this with a Vito - apart from the thin panels there the hinges etc. surely aren't designed to take the extra weight.

Not as elegant, but putting it on the roof should be fairly easy as you've already got hardpoints there for rails/racks?

Some Compacts (with the factory internal panelling & roof liner) don't have a spare at all - you just get a sealant/compressor kit. I wouldn't want to rely on that myself.

Best solution - sell it and get a Long instead :D Joking of course, but it's the same wheelbase as the Compact and only a bit longer overall so I've never really understood why people go for the Compact.

4. OP
    OP
    thebeardedsheff

thebeardedsheff Member

Car:
    Vito 111C
    For me it was spec over length. I can get away with loading it differently. I would've preferred an xlwb but there we go!

On the roof means extra air resistance. My enemy!

5. grober

grober Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  6. Lennox

Lennox Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GTD /A6 Ultra - Merc next time!!
    1 person likes this.
  7. grober

grober Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Caution required mind as the M163 has a big -ass chassis and lots of ground clearance so some mods almost definitely required.

8. BTB 500

BTB 500 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL500, 639 Vito 120 Dualiner Long, S203 C230 Avantgarde SE Sport
    OP has barn doors rather than a tailgate though.

9. Giantvanman

Giantvanman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
    For years, Land Rover fitted a door mounted wheel carrier to their vehicles. It comprised of an outer plate with the elongated threaded studs to hold the wheel and an inner plate or very large washers to spread the load.

I don't see why that it wouldn't work seeing as LR doors (Series & Defender) were aluminium with a steel frame BUT between the weight of the door and the wheel, it did lead to premature wear on the hinges....

It could be done and would reasonably easy to make....just make sure there is interior spreader plate or large washers to spread the load and I would put some sort of gasket to keep rain out under the outer plate.

10. OP
    OP
    thebeardedsheff

thebeardedsheff Member

Car:
    Vito 111C
    Thanks for all the positive input. Some great food for thought there. I think employing the existing ply as well - and reinforcing its fixtures to the panel will help. I'm reasonably confident as the barn doors haven't seen any use and the hinges are nice and tight (need new grease really).

The w638 looks cool but I've never been keen on excessive external stainless pipework

Mike

11. Jane270ML

Jane270ML Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML 270 Cdi
    Space saver to save on weight & plenty of Tyre Weld cans???

12. OP
    OP
    thebeardedsheff

thebeardedsheff Member

Car:
    Vito 111C
    That one's an option, yep!