Mount spare wheel on Vito rear barn door?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
Vito 111C
This is gonna sound sad. But..

I need a solution. I will be carrying foodstuffs, all sealed and packaged (importing to U.K. from Spain) using my Vito. It's a SWB/compact and as such the spare is currently stored internally over the NSR wheel arch. I want to put it on the back door.

I'm thinking something like GMC/CHEVROLET/DODGE do with their day-vans from the 80s and 90s.

Has anyone tried this.? I'm wondering if the panel is strong enough... (and where I'd find the kit!)

Any pointers hugely appreciated!

Cheers

Mike

e56f8aa3a7d8c2d04e96e319c4a9c249.jpg
8df906b7d5cbcc849e0187fdd414af54.jpg

Never heard of anyone doing this with a Vito - apart from the thin panels there the hinges etc. surely aren't designed to take the extra weight.

Not as elegant, but putting it on the roof should be fairly easy as you've already got hardpoints there for rails/racks?

Some Compacts (with the factory internal panelling & roof liner) don't have a spare at all - you just get a sealant/compressor kit. I wouldn't want to rely on that myself.

Best solution - sell it and get a Long instead :D Joking of course, but it's the same wheelbase as the Compact and only a bit longer overall so I've never really understood why people go for the Compact.

For me it was spec over length. I can get away with loading it differently. I would've preferred an xlwb but there we go!

On the roof means extra air resistance. My enemy!

Caution required mind as the M163 has a big -ass chassis and lots of ground clearance so some mods almost definitely required.

OP has barn doors rather than a tailgate though.

For years, Land Rover fitted a door mounted wheel carrier to their vehicles. It comprised of an outer plate with the elongated threaded studs to hold the wheel and an inner plate or very large washers to spread the load.

I don't see why that it wouldn't work seeing as LR doors (Series & Defender) were aluminium with a steel frame BUT between the weight of the door and the wheel, it did lead to premature wear on the hinges....

It could be done and would reasonably easy to make....just make sure there is interior spreader plate or large washers to spread the load and I would put some sort of gasket to keep rain out under the outer plate.

Thanks for all the positive input. Some great food for thought there. I think employing the existing ply as well - and reinforcing its fixtures to the panel will help. I'm reasonably confident as the barn doors haven't seen any use and the hinges are nice and tight (need new grease really).

The w638 looks cool but I've never been keen on excessive external stainless pipework[emoji16]

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom