Moving on.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baxlin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skoda Octavia and JZR 3 wheeler
Well, the lease is up on the C220, thoroughly enjoyed it, the most frugal car I've ever had! But the iPad blu-tacked to the dashboard on the new C Class was an absolute no-no, a deffo deal breaker. Who designed that? Also the lease terms weren't overly attractive either, although I was offered a reasonable deal on an E Class.

And, I have to admit, I think we 'dieseleers' have been/are being sold down the river at the moment -

So I'm going hybrid!

I take delivery next week of a Lexus IS300h Advance, in Arctic Pearl (metallic/pearlescent white in real money). 2.5 ltr petrol with regen lecky motor, with CVT auto box. Chalk and cheese to a manual diesel, methinks.

I'll still be lurking on here though, if you'll have me

Cheers for now

Malcolm

Last edited:
Do keep posting! It would be good to hear how you get on with the Lexus.

Hybrid vehicles are going to be an increasingly common choice for many so your comparative experiences of both this and your previous vehicle will be most interesting!

If I may echo DSM100000's comments, please let us know how you get on. In another couple of years my Volvo will be returned and it is almost 100% certain that my initial research will be on electric/hybrid cars.

Well, today's the day the Merc goes, I get to drive it to work, from where it will be collected.

Stupid, I know, but I gave it its last wash and 'last touch' spray and wipe yesterday evening, I know it will most likely sit in a field somewhere until the next BCA auction, but it wasn't leaving me looking anything but pristine. Someone's going to get a good car.....

Fortunately my daughter works with me, so I have a lift home. There's been a bit of a delay with delivery of the Lexus, so I'm having a loaner for a few days.

Hey ho!

Malcolm

Picked up the Lexus yesterday, it's a completely different animal to the C220. It's auto (CVT), so that's the first difference, and it's petrol/hybrid.

I expect the mpg to be almost on a par, as although the MB is much better on M-ways, the hybrid scores in town, notwithstanding the Merc's stop/start function. It's weird driving silently......

No tacho in normal use, but an energy meter alongside the speedo, to show whether it's being powered by the battery, or charging the hybrid drive battery, or in ECO mode, or 'power' ie gulping petrol.

It's bigger overall than the C Class, but about the same size inside. The Lexus falls down in several areas, very little storage space inside, the handbook is in Martian, and no spare wheel, or room for one, as the hybrid batteries are under the boot where the spare would go. No warning triangle or First Aid kit. It's also a bit more "curvy" than the C Class, so not quite as easy to park, but no doubt I'll get used to it!

It scores in that the rear seats are folding, and all seats are more comfortable than the SE Exec level MB I had, with a lot more rear legroom. Also has reversing camera, ventilated (ie cooling) and heated real leather seats.

The doors close with a much more solid clunk than the Merc, and it's so smooooth as it seems to glide along. I thought the MB was quiet - which it is for a 4 pot diesel, I suppose - but the Lexus is something else.

Which is better? I can't say, really, as they are so different. If spirited driving is your thing, then neither, I suppose, but the C Class is more suited, but being a manual has something to do with that, though. I've not driven an auto C220 to compare. I think maybe Lexus are more forward looking with the Hybrid stance, time will tell, and they haven't put that AWFUL Blu-tacked iPad in the middle of the dash like the current C-Class..................

Malcolm

Quick update,

I've done about 5k miles in the Lexus, it's nowhere near as frugal as the C220, overall about 8-10 mpg less. But the Lexus retains its smoothness and solid feeling. Admittedly my C220 was an entry level Exec SE, whereas this is a couple of steps up the spec ladder. But that's only trim level, though?

There are far more C-class on the road, so the Lexus has a greater sense of exclusiveness, whether that's what you want - I like it!

The sat nav's not user friendly, and with my iPhone 5s the Bluetooth is not good, but these are the only niggles.

Which is better?

Remembering I'm on the MB forum, I'll have to say the jury's still out, as the two cars really are so different.

But I will say I looked at an SLK yesterday to replace the JZR, possibly not immediately, but very much on the cards in time..........

Malcolm

Interesting feedback. Thank you :)

Have to say I really like the new C and it is a decent drive with the hybrid unit. The tablet doesn't bother me but what does bother me is the C350e is the best engine they do currently and you can't spec AMG line. Which in turn makes the car look like its a rental spec.

Interesting that hybrids still can't match diesels for fuel economy. Where the popularity of diesels was pushed by the BIK on company cars and now we are told diesel is bad, the popularity of electric & hybrids is now being driven by the BIK.
More tinkering by the politicians:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom