Moving over to the dark side????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moggymog

Car
BMW 535D F11 M-Sport
My current lease is up for renewal in a few months and I was looking at replacing it with an E350 Bluetec Estate but I've had a pretty decent quote for a BMW 535D M Sport Touring.

Has anyone had any experience with this model?
Pro & Cons over the E class
Should I do it??

I've been very pleased with the C350 and wouldn't want to regret moving away from Mercedes (plus I'd miss MBClub UK)

I can't offer any specific comments although the E and 5 are closer today than they ever have been - the E has toughened and the 5 has softened. I think they're probably so close that it will cone down to a subjective decision after driving them both, rather than anything objective.

You certainly won't be disappointed with either.

Cant comment on the abilities of either car but from an image perspective you are looking at opposite ends of the spectrum, the sofisticated and refined versus the wide boy, lane hogger. Massive generalisation I know but still relevant, I will leave you to decide which is which.

I think you are wrong, the 'nob head' image associated with bad driving seems to have shifted from BMW to the Audis on the road.

Although it may still be specific to certain parts of the country.

And I am not trying to start a war, but can you honestly say all the A / B / C Class and even some E Class cars on the road exude sophistication and refinement? ;) to me the only car with those qualities carrying the star is the S Class.

S

PS don't think for one minute that I think BMW exude those qualities, and Audi certainly doesn't!

Last edited:
I drove the 535d touring a couple of weeks ago but went for a 535i. I can't compare with the Merc, because I never bothered testing it but here's my biased opinion on why the BMW:

- all reviews say it is the better driver's car, if driving is not for you go for a E220 :p
- love the split tailgate
- iDrive is the best by far especially the screen
- you'll be getting an LCI model with decent standard spec and great reliability
- others may say it has negative image but really out of the two it is more sophisticated, a bit like BOSS vs Abercombie

And I'm still on this great forum...

Thanks for your comments guys

I know what you are saying about the image but I agree Simon; in my experience the "image" does seem to have shifted to Audi now.

Great points from RWDpetrol - what made you choose the petrol?

They are letting me test one for the weekend in a couple of weeks so I'll have a play and let you know what I think/decide.

On Audi drivers - I still can't believe how that comment Jeremy Clarkson made on Top Gear years back turned out to be so influential.

Essex Vehicle Leasing came up on my BlinkFeed this morning - they do (did?) BMW 540d M-Sport for £301/month, £1810 down on a four year contract and 8000 miles/yr.

The facelift E-Class is better looking inside and out than the 5-series.

I've had the displeasure of being in a couple of the newer versions (520d/530 (?) petrol/M5) and the interior is depressing; I genuinely couldn't wait to get out of them (although the speed of the M5 certainly took my mind off!)

I had a facelift E350 for the weekend and really liked it, the hard plastics of the pre- facelift seem a little softer and it is a really nice place to rack miles up.

Ultimately though, it comes down to personal choice, I'm sure there's people out there with the opposite view to me with BMW's but that's life...

If you haven't already looked at them and eliminated them from your shortlist, I suggest you look at the A6. IMO it's by far the best of the three.

Yeah I think I should try out the A6 - the Bi-TDi engine is supposed to be on par with the BMW so will be fun if nothing else

Yeah I think I should try out the A6 - the Bi-TDi engine is supposed to be on par with the BMW so will be fun if nothing else

I've ordered one, but haven't driven it yet. If you have a go, let me know what you think!

Ouch!!!.......don't think I'll be test driving the A6.

I understand that I might have got a good deal on the BMW but the Audi is coming in at £176 per month more :crazy:

Will let you know what I think of the BMW in a couple of weeks

I've just moved over to BMW and although it's a 7 series the interior looks practically the same as my mate's F10 520d M Sport.

They are nice car's I like the mid range power avail in the twin turbo Diesel's.

Otherwise I wouldn't say it's too bad.

RWDpetrol - what made you choose the petrol?

They are letting me test one for the weekend in a couple of weeks so I'll have a play and let you know what I think/decide.

Sorry, didn't see this until now. I drove the 535d in central London and on the A40. It returned 25mpg (being thrashed then sitting in traffic) which was nothing great so when I went back to the dealership and they had the only 535i on BMW AUC, I felt I had to have it. The 535i returned 18mpg for same journey. And I simply don't like diesels plus I think they are wrong for Londoners.

I really really like everything about the BMW, it is all just right and the overall package is perfect - seriously. You'll get the same whether petrol or diesel.

I sold my C63 estate and my teenage nephews are upset missing the sound - but they don't live with the rest of the car like I do. And at the likelihood of upsetting c36fan, the new MBs are too chavvy for me.

Keep us posted on your decision.

I must admit the C63 is one of the most savage cars I've driven :devil: - love it!!!! But I just couldn't justify the fuel cost to use it everyday.

Looking forward to the test drive of the 535d next week now :thumb:

The 35d engine has a great reputation.

RWD I agree the new MB's are so in your face. "Chavy" is a very good word.

RWDpetrol said:
Sorry, didn't see this until now. I drove the 535d in central London and on the A40. It returned 25mpg (being thrashed then sitting in traffic) which was nothing great so when I went back to the dealership and they had the only 535i on BMW AUC, I felt I had to have it. The 535i returned 18mpg for same journey. And I simply don't like diesels plus I think they are wrong for Londoners. I really really like everything about the BMW, it is all just right and the overall package is perfect - seriously. You'll get the same whether petrol or diesel. I sold my C63 estate and my teenage nephews are upset missing the sound - but they don't live with the rest of the car like I do. And at the likelihood of upsetting c36fan, the new MBs are too chavvy for me. Keep us posted on your decision.
i kept myself away from this thread because I don't want to bore or upset people with my opinion !
But calling a c63 chave !!!:(
In my place chavys they drive halforfds modified bmw,vauxhall and ford ....not mercedes!!!

It's just a couple of peoples opinion :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom