Muirfield votes 'no' to women members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
It'll be removed from The Open rota too, althoughI don't think they'll be too bothered.

I knew someone very high up at Sandwich who told me a lot of the members aren't too keen on hosting The Open as it buggers up their golf for around two months.

Should a private members club be forced to admit as members people it doesn't want?

Well it is their club they can have who they want in it,of course the media will put it under the spotlight but there is very little they can do.

My old Dad was a keen golfer and he hated women players, he reckoned that they held him up on the course with their dithering.
His club had a men only bar and a special chair for the big cheese, if you sat in it you had to buy a round.
At the time I preferred dodgy nightclubs in the city but, these days, I'm seeing what the old feller saw in his club bar.

Should a private members club be forced to admit as members people it doesn't want?

No. Although I have no actual desire to join the Women's Institute, would they welcome ( I was going to type, male members there :devil:) men into their fold :D

its their club, let them run it how they want

Women are everywhere making a male sanctuary a necessity. I suppose the 19th is as good as any, not that it would be my first choice.

There is a Society of Women Artists, so why shouldn't there be male only places of refuge.

There are more women only golf clubs than men only bin the uk!

I share the view of those who think that it is a private club and the members can run it however they choose.

I've never had any interest in golf - last time I tried it, I only managed to hit two balls straight together when I trod on the greenkeeper's rake.......

Last time I played golf, I managed to hit the clubhouse as I teed off from the first!

I don't understand the compulsion to make men and women share their spaces. We all need time away from the other gender, and as long as things are fair and open, so what? Frankly, knowing how many affairs happen at mixed gender clubs, I'd have thought that the wives would almost be relieved it stays men only.

No they should not be forced to open their doors. That said a majority voted for introduction of female members but the status quo demanded a 2/3rd majority for change so the voting system has inbuilt inertia (much like the political voting system for the UK)

to be honest, i don't want to know any women who wants to be a member of a golf club.

very few things bore me more than someone telling me about just how much they spoilt their good walk by bashing a ball with stick and missing holes....:dk:

2/3 of the members dont even play golf, they just go for the piece n quiet:bannana:

I am off to insure my cars with "Shanes Wheels" as "Sheilas Wheels" is intended for women only ;)

I was insured by Sheila's wheels once and I'm male. I was particularly impressed with the handbag cover (Though I never had to make a claim).

For me it is much like most have already said, a private club is private and should be governed by the members. If someone want to open a private club where only people with purple hair are allowed in, why should that not be allowed? It's not like it's a government owned establishment is it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom