Music on while car turned off - batt warnings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclass

Car
c class
Hi All

I have a 2011 W212, sometimes I have car turned off and listen to music (audio 50 iPod interface) if I've got a long wait, after half an hour I always get a bit worried and switch it off as i'm worried about the battery going flat.

Question was, is there any protection built in that will warn me if batt is getting too low so I can avoid it running down to the extent that the car will not start?

Thanks

Certainly is on my 2005 W219, can't imagine MB would discontinue the function.

I get a warning to start the engine, if I ignore the warning the COMAND shuts down automatically.

Thanks, I think this happened once to me too (on a older W211) but I simply restarted the audio and got no further warnings.

Hopefully other members with W212's will add their experience, would be nice to know for example 2 hours is not an issue.

As mentioned above it will warn you first, and then shut down if it gets no response.

At least mine does anyway (W212) :)

Mine does too but I don't think it would run for half an hour and until the battery was replaced I only got minutes with seconds after the warning message appeared before it shut down

Mine will work for about 40 mins now I've had a new battery. before that 10/15 mins.
It tells you that Command will shut down unless you start the engine.
2010 S212

I think it depends on which position the ignition switch is. If mine is all the way off, I get the warning, if the ignition is in the position where I can operate the wipers and windows, no warning, and there are not lights on the dash to indicate the ignition is on.

Thanks all, doesnt look like its an exact science, its a shame theres no way to display battery level on dash so we can monitor it.

I was not turning the key in the accessory position as I thought that would also send power to other items which I do not need.

Unless your battery is on it's last legs, if the only real power consumption is the radio then it should comfortably last several hours, regardless of the warnings.

The warnings are really there to protect you from a flat battery in the event that you turn the radio on and walk away and forget about it, as it will turn your radio off if you don't respond to the warning.

Thanks all, doesnt look like its an exact science, its a shame theres no way to display battery level on dash so we can monitor it.
You could get one of those little LED voltmeters that goes in the 12V socket; that would give you a real-time readout of the battery.

There is a way to get the voltage to display on a W219, should be on a W212 also.

Takes quiet a bit of power to run A COMAND, speakers & amp etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom