My 190 in New Zealand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marvin16x

Car
1997 C280T
Hey folks,

haven't even been on the other side of the world for two weeks but already got myself a sweet 190 yesterday. :)
I just can't live without an old Benz ...

So what can I say ... it's a 1990 190D 2.0 with only 150,000 km on the clock. Engine bay and interior look like new. The paint, which is 735 astralsilber, does not though. At least hardly any rust. Few dents and stuff, but what would you expect for only $1300?

Spec is not bad either: Automatic, A/C, 4x electric windows, tow bar, ASD, alarm, remote control. Quite cool! And quite a difference to my 2.3 petrol in Germany which hasn't got anything really!

The only problem is that it's not running well when cold. Lots of smoke coming out the exhaust, idle is not really stable. 2 glow plugs had already been relaced by the previous owner but he gave me the other 2 ones which I will (have) replace(d) as well. On Thursday I'll be visiting the North Shore Car Clinic. I really think it's just a minor problem since the engine runs and pulls well when warm (60°C or higher). But I'll have the pros look at it as it's my first Diesel ever, don't really know much about them yet.

More pictures to come soon. You will love the engine bay. Even after 23 years it looks so clean and unused.

Cheers
Marvin

Attachments

• 20140215_180741.jpg
    20140215_180741.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 61
Excellent. Now there is no chance that you'll miss any part of the scenery or get a speeding ticket.

how's the beer?:D

Well... I already caught myself spending $6 on a can of bloody Old Speckled Hen!! :D :doh:
Naah but seriously, they've got some really nice stuff over here as well. I won't die of thirst, that's for sure.
The only thing I don't like about it is that it's so bloody expensive.. :crazy:

Thanks Charles. Yeah, no speed tickets with that bad boy. But after today's 100 km drive I'm not really sure if it was the right choice to be honest. If NZ was flat like the Netherlands, all right. But it's hilly almost everywhere and I don't quite like shifting down and revving the diesel engine up to 3k-4k just to keep it from stopping... no power, not even torque :eek: :dk:
Kinda wish I had my 2.3 petrol with manual 5-speed here....

But I'm gonna make the best out of it now.
Bought some tools and stuff today as well. Let's go.

:thumb:

Attachments

• 20140219_114400.jpg
    20140219_114400.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 43
Jeez Marvin I got you drunk all afternoon for free, what do you mean it's expensive!? Don't start buying that British muck over here cobber - stick with the Mac's Gold, you'll be right.

Get some Morey's Diesel additive from Supercheap Autos, whack that in and you'll be amazed at the new found power - I use about 50% more than recommended in the Starlet, goes like heck and no problems - been using it for 10 years now - and don't tell me it's too expensive!

Is that Orewa in the pic? You'll need to keep us posted of your most excellent adventures - did you land that job yet...?

Last edited:
i really appreciate what you did 2 weeks ago, W! :) :thumb:
thanks for the tip with the additive btw, will have a look at that.

in the meantime i got myself sorted and rewarded that by having 7 mac's gold pints on friday night. $8,50 each - the fck have i done :crazy: :wallbash:
wallet is as flat as a pancake now :(

car still needs some attention. car clinic guy sent me to alltech diesel... they should find the problem next week. maybe it's just air, they said. what's for sure is that it needs a new thermostat and a new battery. but that's peanuts. i hope cylinder head and engine block are okay... it would be a real pity as the car has such a sweet engine bay, interior and underbody :crazy:

regards
marvin

edit: yeah exactly that was orewa!! geez!

Last edited:
guys, real quick, what kind of battery would you recommend for a 190D 2.0 with some electric consumers?? the current one is way too small, need a big one this time but i'm not familiar with the english ehhh you know what i mean. it's different. running out of internet now

thank you!!

Get an Endurant battery in what ever size they recommend for your car Melvin, they are known to be the best in NZL except for MB-Genuine.

You won't show me too many pictures of NZL without me having a decent guess, don't forget to update us regularly now... :):)

Any luck with a job yet, follow up those leads now that you have a car...?

Silver Star Farm may have an engine for you if it all goes wrong, they're not too far from Piha...

Thanks for that W!

Well, I got some news. Not really good news, but at least news.

Didn't buy a new battery straight away. Called the AA battery man instead. And he came shortly after yesterday evening. On the second try the car would keep running and he went away. After that I went off for a one hour drive to recharge it. Then slept in the car in front of the Alltech Diesel workshop.

What the guys told me today? Well, hardly any compression on cylinders 1 and 2, 3 and 4 are okay. That alone cost me 240 bucks. Now what? I don't know.
Maybe it's a minor issue, maybe it's the piston rings, the head, whatever...

Haven't looked for a job yet tbh as I knew things wouldn't be going to well for me. First I need to get the car sorted and then I will be able to look for and find sth. :(

Get a job first would be the way I'd tackle it - fruit picking even, at least the money is coming in and you will fee more comfortable. Did you follow up with Peter??

Silver Star Farm have no engines for you but they did say loss of compression is very common at about 250 - 300 000 kms in that Engine. If you are heading to, or through Tirau try these guys, they may be able to help at cheaper rates, they might also be looking for a bloke just like you cobber??

MercWorxs - Classic Mercedes

Hey there,

i'm still alive :confused:

after having spent nearly 4 weeks in auckland area, including a couple of days with a random family in north shore and strolling about in takapuna, sleeping in the car by the lake and stuff like that i've moved on to the north, where my mates had jobs working on a melon farm. that was up in pukenui, quite far away from auckland.

so i went there via whangarei and the bay of islands, saw some sweet places on my way. when i arrived there i was able to work some days myself and then went up to cape reinga with a german friend when work was over.
last week we went back south via bay of islands, whangarei, auckland to arrive at the coromandel peninsula with the beautiful evening sun illuminating the diesel's rear.. spent some days there and went to hot water beach and cathedral coves and other lovely places.

since the others don't have so much time left we had to move on a few days after. we went via tauranga / mt maunganui to rotorua, a stinky volcanic area in the middle of the north island, and arrived in taupo 2 days after.

it's a cheap write up but i just want to give u an idea of what's happened in the meantime. it's hard to keep everyone updated and get all the other shizz sorted.

now some pics...
okay not now didnt know about the stupid upload limits :fail

maybe one

Attachments

• piha.jpg
    piha.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 25
Did you try the Morey's Marvin, or are you used to it by now...?

Hey W,

no haven't tried it yet.. got used to the engine running problems. once it starts up, keep it running and heat it up by revving it up to 2-3k for 1-2 minutes, back to idle (usually goes out then) and the next time you start it up it runs quite well. the hotter the engine gets, the better it runs.
although only 2 cylinders are working 100% i get 42,5 mpg from this car, so not too bad ;)

Attachments

• tui ****.jpg
    tui ****.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 19
  • black swan.jpg
    black swan.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 17
  • cathedral cove.jpg
    cathedral cove.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 22
I can see you are settling into the Kiwi way of life rather well there Melvin, Tui dark is not to be discounted - if you like a dark beer that is.

Let me guess; Cathedral Cove and Lake Tawarewa. I've had a Triumph 2000TC up the top of that mountain, right up on the runway on the top!!!
Sounds like you have a car you are happy with, BUT TRY THE MOREY'S you won't know yourself AND you WILL get your money back on the extra mileage. :):)

Have fun in Gods own country Melvin, stay clean within the Law, don't get anyone pregnant now.... :):)

P.S. I see you also had a shot of one of the best beaches in the world, I spent my youth not 200 m from wehre that shot was taken, it made W what he is today! Slip up a few more - of the surf etc etc.

Last edited:
Hey W,

no haven't tried it yet.. got used to the engine running problems. once it starts up, keep it running and heat it up by revving it up to 2-3k for 1-2 minutes, back to idle (usually goes out then) and the next time you start it up it runs quite well. the hotter the engine gets, the better it runs.
although only 2 cylinders are working 100% i get 42,5 mpg from this car, so not too bad ;)

Your trip looks great, I'm envious.

As for the low compression.
Start the engine and remove the breather pipe. If it's really blowing then suspect rings, but I doubt that. More likely is the valve clearances are too tight so the valves aren't closing at the correct time, losing compression.

Try listening down the intake manifold for a dull popping noise as the engine fires, even better, remove the manifolds and run the engine while listening and watching for smoke.

Don't worry about flogging the engine up hills, diesels are designed to be run flat out.

When are you coming on down Dieselman in any case.....

Cheers guys!

Yep W, I will try the Morey's! And yep, you are damn right again, that's Cathedral Cove and Lake Tawarewa :thumb: And of course Piha, where we went 5 weeks ago - I simply had to return!

We'll probably be working in Hastings next week, after that I will get round to the engine again and have another look at it. The car's only 95,000 miles on the clock, I can't believe it could be the rings or the valves, like something is broken off or so. That would be ridiculous.

Maybe I'll find someone who's able to remove the cylinder head for a small fee... just to have a bloody look at what's going on in there..:(
I will probably stay for a year so getting that sorted wouldn't be a bad idea.. not sure if the engine's gonna start up in autum / winter... :dk:

Alright, I'm off having some beer in the beautiful evening sun :)

Attachments

• cape reinga.jpg
    cape reinga.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 21
  • coromandel.jpg
    coromandel.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 23
  • reids farm.jpg
    reids farm.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back