My 1994 R129 SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Watchcame430

MB Enthusiast
Car
Previous 1994 SL500, 2001 W210 E430 and 2003 Designo S500 Current 2005 S211 E270
Hi all,
I picked up at the weekend a 1994 SL500
I bought it sight unseen so took a chance but it seemed a good buy from the ebay advert.
Owners were emmigrating and had not had it too long. Previous owner had died and it had sat in a barn for about 5 years.
Lady I bought it from had spent a fair amount on it when it was extracted from said barn including new fuel pumps, exhaust, brake lines, battery, bushes, track ends and other bits.
Also some sun damage getting through holes in the barn have been resprayed.
I paid the cash and jumped in to find i could not move the seat back backwards which meant the drive home 175 miles was not much fun for my wife who volunteered.
I got it home and had a look at what I had bought.
Faults so far are:

1) Mention of a cluster change in limited history so miles are actually 157k not 111k on clock.
2) no air con
3) drivers seat as mentioned
4) small tear on drivers bolster and general wear on both seats
5) 1 inch tear on leather roll bar
6) key is falling apart
7) factory stereo on knob is glued on
8) no history to speak of and missing other keys and wind deflector
9) grubby all over inside (seen worse)
10) mercedes badge on bonnet worn
11) no rear sl500 badge where resprayed

On a positive:

1) body really straight - not even any dints and minor scratches (bar one on bonnet) only
2) hood like new and works wonderfully
3) wheels unmarked and new P600 tyres
4) no mods apart from clear indicators
5) factory stereo etc in place still
6) drives superb and really tight

Some pics below:

Looks like it will tidy up well. Can we see photos when its done please?

Looks like it will tidy up well. Can we see photos when its done please?

Will do ... Going to use this as a running report type of thing.

I spent Monday evening cleaning the drivers door card with a toothbrush. It came up well but not good enough so have ordered several interior cleaners recommended in the valet section on this forum.

I have also bought a new mercedes badge for the bonnet, wiper blade, air filters and several other bits.

The air filters shouldnt have been needed as it was supposed to have been serviced a few weeks ago but when I looked one air filter was a cheap pattern part and the other was a really old genuine part that needed changing badly!

Also done is booked it in to Mercedes main dealer tomorrow morning for full health check and going over. This should add to the 'to do list'

In the meantime more cleaning and polishing ...

Looks good,I'd get amber indicators as well as side repeaters

Looks good,I'd get amber indicators as well as side repeaters

I am glad you said that ... Been thinking the same.
I might have a trawl through ebay now or even splash out on a set.

With all the facelifting people have done on older models fingers crossed I can find a set!

Looks good :cool:

Nice honest report, will be good working through the list and crossing jobs off :)

It's crying out for some tyre dressing and a dust off under the bonnet... :D

I also like the dark orange needles and dials in the instrument cluster. Normally a good sign. Wood looks good too, unfaded :thumb:

Looks good :cool:

Nice honest report, will be good working through the list and crossing jobs off :)

It's crying out for some tyre dressing and a dust off under the bonnet... :D

I also like the dark orange needles and dials in the instrument cluster. Normally a good sign. Wood looks good too, unfaded :thumb:

Thanks ... I did start under the bonnet last night. Took the filter box and pipes off and started cleaning. Tonnes of muck on them. Autogleam engine cleaner wouldnt shift it too easily so took lots of scrubbing with some degreaser spray. I found a small sensor wire had been rubbing on the underside of the airboxes so need to sort that also.

It has a new set of Beru ht leads which is useful I noticed.

Will post pics when more time spent on the engine cleaning ... Awaiting various recommended chemicals to attack it with!

Looks really nice mate love r129's they are great cars

Thanks Mabz! Really enjoying it ... Nervous what Mercedes might find tomorrow though!

Looks great! And good luck with the bits that need doing! Are you planning to do everything yourself or will you be taking it to dealership/indy for some estimates?

Looks great! And good luck with the bits that need doing! Are you planning to do everything yourself or will you be taking it to dealership/indy for some estimates?

Thanks! I plan to do everything I can myself but nothing too technical as my spannering skills are a bit limited.
I will have a to do list after it has been to Mercedes tomorrow .. Fingers crossed!

I think you might have a little gem there.:thumb:

I think you might have a little gem there.:thumb:

I hope so ... Time will tell but so far so good.

Been looking into amber indicators at lunchtime. Been offered a nice used pair for £45 plus postage but also found a brand new left hand side for £42 delivered. Concern is will i find a new right hand side?

Looks like you have a rewarding project on your hands there, and I think it's quite a rare colour too. Have fun!

That's a great car, I miss mine and despite it being a bit tatty still see it as one of the best cars I have ever owned. I like the red which works with few mercs IMHO.

I replaced the pipes eventually straight all the way back to the manifold. I was on a quest. It never quite worked but it was an interesting journey.

That's a great car, I miss mine and despite it being a bit tatty still see it as one of the best cars I have ever owned. I like the red which works with few mercs IMHO.

I replaced the pipes eventually straight all the way back to the manifold. I was on a quest. It never quite worked but it was an interesting journey.

I agree there is something about the red colour that appeals. I actually had my eye on a white one but couldnt get it at the right price.
It does seem to work in red. Would have prefered black interior but I think it will be ok when i get the seats retrimmed.

This box of bits arrived today ..

Before it got dark I tackled the pollen filter. I found it hadnt been changed in a while. See below the difference between the new and old. I also scrubbed the rubber which came up like new and cleaned all the plastics up. Filter that came out was genuine part like everything taken off so far.

Very nice car, I'm starting to regret not buying one a couple of years back that I was offered:(

This was the air filters ... Changed recently apparently. What is apparent is only one was changed! A new pair will find replace these tomorrow...

Another genuine part ..

Very nice car, I'm starting to regret not buying one a couple of years back that I was offered:(

I think we all have regrets on cars we havent bought. I was offered a Bronze Lotus Esprit that was the back up Bond car from the spy who loved me film.
Here is the actual film car ..
RE: Bond's Esprit up for sale - PistonHeads
I could have bought the back up car in 1998 for £8k but had just bought a house and couldnt afford it ... It had low miles too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom