My 1994 R129 SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Totally agree with you on that one. I know the brake fluid and oil have just been changed but the coolant not and with it being highlighted today I will get it done.
Just trying to decide to do myself or take it back to Mercedes to get done.
I would definitely use merc approved coolant if I did it.
Tech was saying it contains oil that keeps the water pump in good order which is interesting.

I get mine replaced every two years from the lubricant pov, and it was just done with other bits and bobs. They are pressurised systems, not that I know what's involved as I'm not hands on, but I had a "normal" mechanic for non MB cars, who didn't want to do the job (years ago) for that reason!

I get mine replaced every two years from the lubricant pov, and it was just done with other bits and bobs. They are pressurised systems, not that I know what's involved as I'm not hands on, but I had a "normal" mechanic for non MB cars, who didn't want to do the job (years ago) for that reason!

It's the sort of thing I think I would like Mercedes to do ... Especially if it's not straight forward.
I think I will look into it first to be certain but if not straight forward will let them do it.
I also got a quote to sort the wear on the leather today. Cheaper than I thought but wondering if I should replace the lot rather than repair the slight damaged bolster.

My local upholsterer found a good match for my bolster, which blended in well. In fact, I need to give it a bit of attention again.

My local upholsterer found a good match for my bolster, which blended in well. In fact, I need to give it a bit of attention again.

That does look good ... Did they replace the bolster or repai and dye?

I am hoping to hear back today on the match. They are booked until July though which is a shame!

Thinking about booking the car back in with Mercedes to do the coolant and a few adjustments. Also going to try track down the service history today if I get a sec.

They just replaced the bolster. I then cleaned the rest, and went over the new leather last (with the now dirtier cloth), and then condtioned, again leaving the new leather til last to help blend in.

Would have prefered black interior but I think it will be ok when i get the seats retrimmed.

I wouldn't initially get the seats retrimmed or fit another used interior either. Have a look at some of the kits from the leather restorer companies, I reckon it would make a vast improvement to your current drivers seat. It's not costly, it's quick and it will take the the bad look off the seat (I had very good success on a cream seat in a BMW) and also it will allow you to concentrate on the other aspects of the car.

Here's just one supplier Car Leather Restoration

It was pretty good all things considered:

1) sluggish wiper motor
2) front headlight wiper arm corroded
3) slight adjustment needed on front wheel bearings (very minor)
4) slight corrosion on rear brake discs
5) advise coolant/antifreeze change as content a little low
6) wing indicator repeaters need changing or orange bulbs
7) parking brake needs adjustment
8) air con needs recharge
9) very slight weep from sump gasket (recommend leave as so slight)
10) corrosion on one part of exhaust

Star reported no issues

Pretty good result?

That is indeed a pretty good result!

They just replaced the bolster. I then cleaned the rest, and went over the new leather last (with the now dirtier cloth), and then condtioned, again leaving the new leather til last to help blend in.

You did a great job in cleaning it up. What did you use?
Not tackled this car yet but used every product known to man on other leather interiors and never found anything that works.

I bought some Dr Leather stuff to see what that does.

Out of interest where are the retrimmer you used? Cheers

I wouldn't initially get the seats retrimmed or fit another used interior either. Have a look at some of the kits from the leather restorer companies, I reckon it would make a vast improvement to your current drivers seat. It's not costly, it's quick and it will take the the bad look off the seat (I had very good success on a cream seat in a BMW) and also it will allow you to concentrate on the other aspects of the car.

Thanks, I have used the liquid leather on a few cars and it is good stuff but i do have a tiny split in the bolster and the two centre perforated leather parts have some stitching come undone.

I have contacted every breaker i can find but no luck so far on finding replacements.

Been quoted £275+ vat for new bolster and sewing up both small seams on the middle bits.
Also there is a company in the states that does new leather sets for $500 which migt be a better route.

You could also do worse than use a scrubbing brush with a solution of warm water and washing powder. Go back over with a clean damp cloth, and then condition when/if you are happy with the results.

I always put my roof up when parked to protect the leather from harmful rays. A car parked with the roof down looks great and shouts summer, but look at old, suntanned skin!!

I did actually say I would book it in for some things and this was all they came up with. They spent two hours on it inspecting and another hour putting estimates together so they gave it a proper look over.
They were very fair though ... Some things they said were so slight as not warrant being done (like the rear corrosion on the discs)
Others they said needed quick attention like the parking brake. There is a possibility the liner may have become detached, but hopefully is adjust only.

I guess it depends on the dealership, but M-B Guildford have always been excellent with my SL ... never pushing to do extra work. Also happy for me to supply my own oil (Mobil 1 from Costco) - the cheapest service I've had there was £125, most people wouldn't think you could get a main dealer stamp in the book for that.

4) small tear on drivers bolster and general wear on both seats

Ah, I see now from your opening post. Pity, but still not too bad & as you say an upholster can sort it for a reasonable cost.

You could also do worse than use a scrubbing brush with a solution of warm water and washing powder. Go back over with a clean damp cloth, and then condition when/if you are happy with the results.

I always put my roof up when parked to protect the leather from harmful rays. A car parked with the roof down looks great and shouts summer, but look at old, suntanned skin!!

I will try that after the dr leather things but repairs still need doing sadly.

D:class have asked for more pics ... They are going to avoid total retrim if they can.

Will pop out at lunch time and try the Dr Leather stuff. And see what happens

Ah, I see now from your opening post. Pity, but still not too bad & as you say an upholster can sort it for a reasonable cost.

Its only small .. Shame really. The colour match might be an issue ... I will spend whatever it takes to make it nice though.

I know D class have a great reputation, as does my local firm, who may well be cheaper. Whereabouts are you?

I know D class have a great reputation, as does my local firm, who may well be cheaper. Whereabouts are you?

Thanks ... I am about an hour away near Bath, near A350/A36

A good shout ... Will get in touch with them. Guess you need to leave the car for a day pr so?
Cheers!

In my experience, they are very efficient, and do what they say they will do well. Let me know if you use them and have to hang about. If I'm around, I'll help you break the day up a bit if you have nothing better to do!

In my experience, they are very efficient, and do what they say they will do well. Let me know if you use them and have to hang about. If I'm around, I'll help you break the day up a bit if you have nothing better to do!

Thanks Mike, I will let you know how I got on. Something kicked off at work so didn't ring them but will Monday.
Was happy to use DClass as they are near my office but July is a pretty long wait.

I used the Dr Leather wipes and found them ok. Probably the best cleaner
I have come across but far from a break through. I would recommend them though. I also tried autoglym leather cleaner on the same patch and it did nothing at all!

Fitted this today as the rubber had started to split on the old one. Was a pig to fit but soaking in boiling water helped in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom