My 1994 R129 SL500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi-jacking never a problem ... Stick the details on here on this thread if you like. Always interesting to see similar cars for sale.

Everything I read said to run away from the 600 as it's a money pit. If you do get one, would be interesting to know if it's true :)

I do want a V12 in my life ... Never had one on any car and imagine they are silky smooth. Also a possible better longer term investment if I stuck it away.
One day I will .. How soon that day is I am not sure though. Enjoying this one too much for now.

Everything I read said to run away from the 600 as it's a money pit. If you do get one, would be interesting to know if it's true :)
Even if you're lucky and get one that's not a money pit, they are expensive to keep on the road. To me the 60 seems the best "compromise". Performance pretty much the same, serving etc a fair bit less. Mind you, the way prices are you can pick up a 600 for a fair bit less than a 60.

I won't open the "they're nose heavy" can....:eek::D

Money pits are ok as long as I fill it slowly over time. Outside of the engine there is not much that's 600 exclusively only is there?
Love the leather dash ... Sets them off nicely.

Outside of the engine there is not much that's 600 exclusively only is there?

More than you'd like to think.

Hi - I have just bought a 91 Sl500 pretty much the same background as yours - been owned by same guy since 2004 and he has done 900 miles in that time... as well as this he had a new gearbox, brakes, hood, etc etc and he decided to sell it without reserve....... anywho, I also need a few bits and pieces - this ariel mount being one of them - could you let me know where you sourced this please? thanks and good luck - an awesome ride! Chris

Hi - I have just bought a 91 Sl500 pretty much the same background as yours - been owned by same guy since 2004 and he has done 900 miles in that time... as well as this he had a new gearbox, brakes, hood, etc etc and he decided to sell it without reserve....... anywho, I also need a few bits and pieces - this ariel mount being one of them - could you let me know where you sourced this please? thanks and good luck - an awesome ride! Chris

This is odd ... I replied to this earlier and yet it has disappeared?

I got the aerial rubber from ebay. It is a genuine part as advertised.
Tricky to install as it needs heating in hot water and lots of fairly liquid.
Here we go ..

Mercedes SL SL280 SL320 SL500 SL600 Aerial Antenna GROMMET R129 Dichtung Tülle | eBay

An update .. I had the interior gone over by D Class. They replaced a bolster and cleaned the lot.
Also replaced the distributor caps and rotor arms plus camshaft sensor as she had been running rough.
Basically it starts and runs fine from cold at idle but as soon as I start to drive the car cuts out.
Also if I leave it to run for 10 or so minutes it also cuts out.
I started a thread in the engine area and EZL module has been suggested. Sounds promising reading up to it on the web.
Cold and dark now so will pull my vin number off tomorrow and start the hunt for a EZL module thingy!

Was going to sell her as was getting frustrated and had little time last few months. Been working every day for months but now I have a few days off the motivation to get her sorted has returned.

An update .. I had the interior gone over by D Class. They replaced a bolster and cleaned the lot.
Also replaced the distributor caps and rotor arms plus camshaft sensor as she had been running rough.
Basically it starts and runs fine from cold at idle but as soon as I start to drive the car cuts out.
Also if I leave it to run for 10 or so minutes it also cuts out.
I started a thread in the engine area and EZL module has been suggested. Sounds promising reading up to it on the web.
Cold and dark now so will pull my vin number off tomorrow and start the hunt for a EZL module thingy!

Was going to sell her as was getting frustrated and had little time last few months. Been working every day for months but now I have a few days off the motivation to get her sorted has returned.

Have you got a picture of the seats after repair please? I have a bolster that needs doing.

Sure, will sort one out ... Give me a couple of days ... Will be back with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom