My Cancer Story - To help others.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...When having my PIC Line inserted via my arm, then through an artery and into my heart, I was sedated to keep me relaxed and still, but was able to watch on the huge HD overhead monitors that the surgeon and theater staff were viewing. It was fascinating but eerie to think that it is your insides that you are watching in ultra high definition. I could actually watch the line being threaded through my arteries as the surgeon talked me through what was happening. At one stage pausing to explain that he would be "backing up a bit (reversing) as the line did not want to go around a bend" He then asked If I could simply move my left shoulder a fraction to allow safe passage for the line to get around the bend. In that instance I could see the benefit(s) of being awake. I still do not like it ;^( ...

I don't know if your PIC line has since been removed, but just to say that it is a fantastically liberating feeling when the nurse finally pulls it out and it's gone! I guess you have live with it for 6 months in order to fully appreciate how good it is not to have it!

As a funny.
About the last time I got really got ill with some form of gut issue that was "really double over type pain" was shortly after I got married about 25 years ago!
I had it so bad I was physically forced to seek medical help in an American hospital that wasn't some form of injury, but rather the internal medicine variety .
With the words of a pathologist's I went to school with at Blackpool hospital--Dennis watch out for American doctors -those ba$tards will kill you with drugs & medication!
Then you will really be up Schitte creek !:eek: .

Forced to walk in to the Emergency room --A&E to you "darlings" I ended up on a gurney in an exam room!
During the all too familiar "too--ing and fro--ing" this dour looking lady appeared with a clipboard in hand!
Question;- Mr Williams what is your religion?
C Of E ---Church of England !
She perused the list on the clip board! Came up blank !!
AHHm--I interceded! You are asking what type of religious order I belong to right? (thinking bejesus I am not that far gone yet with half a day at the undertaker coming FFS !)
Anglican church--thinking Christian for FFS--Gut really playing me up!
A quick perusal nothing!
Then I said do you have Episcopalian on that sheet? --then a Eureka Yes!
Well tick that box!!!

But add Backsliding Episcopalian OK !
She then actually smiled!
You are a comedian and even sick you can crack a joke! Are all you Brits like this ?

Yes Luv for the most part it's a Brit thing! We are a nation of bloody comedians and eccentrics ! Keep smiling ! It's the weather that we moan about and dumb politicians !
Oh we have those here too! She said !
Thinking! Come back Guy Fawkes all is forgiven

All the best.
Dennis

Folks. An update seems appropriate now.

At Christmas time I got ill. Diagnosed with Pleurisy, I suspected worse and was not to be let down. Three weeks ago, it was confirmed that my cancer has returned. Being on my aorta it is putting pressure on my entire chest area and makes eating solid food impossible, with drinking getting difficult.

So what is to be done? This is my wishes and my views and not a blueprint for everybody ;^)

I have declined Chemotherapy believing in quality of life over quantity. Surgery is not survivable and drugs will not halt it's rapid invasion.

I have met with and agreed to be placed into the care of of a fabulous Oncologist who is at the top of his game. He is confident that bu the use very intensive 'targeted' Radiology he can halt the growth and possibly 'neutralise' the cancer. The cancer is localised, small and shows no signs of spread or penetration.

I like the man and his team. This is good indeed as they are now my lifeline. I will start the Radiology next week for 5 weeks. My intention is to survive and enjoy every single second of every single day that get with my beautiful wife and family. I have the best of the best medicals teams and could ask nor wish anything better. My wife has never ever given up on me and makes everything wort trying if???? I can maintain a quality of life that gives all strength and peace.

Today's Benz on the Green was brilliant for us all. Something that I/we wanted to do. A milestone and a goal to be reached, it carried with it the very special significance of being able to celebrate the life of Derek (DRUK) a man who gave me so much inspiration. We did it, we loved it and are so pleased that we were offered the opportunity to take part by all the team at PCS. Natacha helped me personally with this and for that we really owe you a huge thank you.

I really do not know what will happen over the next few weeks with my health but have no delusions. I shall post when I can and look forward to your replies.

Oh and if anybody knows how to rebuild tandem pumps on W124 4-Matics? Give me shout please......

Take care.

I am sorry to hear that you are having to battle with your cancer again. We have never met but reading your thread and seeing your positive approach is an inspiration to me. It has made me realise how lucky I was to be able to choose to have my cancerous prostate removed ( happening in 12 days time ) and hopefully get a good result. I wish you the very best of luck for successful treatment , unfortunately I cannot help with any tips on rebuilding tandem pumps!

Bruce sorry to hear of this, wishing you the best and hope the treatment goes to plan.

Abs

Bruce,
Firstly, thank you for posting the last message, it must have been very difficult.

I wish you would have mentioned this to me today when we were chatting, though fully understand your reasons for not doing, especially with your lovely daughter being with you.

All I can do is to wish you all the very best and hope that everything goes OK for you. Good luck Sir. :)

Sorry to hear this, i lost both my parents at a young age to cancer, so i can relate to this from your familys point of view. Watching my strong dad wither away to nothing, hardly able to keep his eyes open as he was on so much morphene in an attempt to stave off some of the pain is not a nice memory to have. Fingers crossed for you

Not good news to hear from you Bruce, but you seem to be able to maintain a positive attitude which is so important when life deals you a less than wonderful hand. Very best wishes with the ongoing treatment.

You already have my thoughts on this Bruce but I was heartened to see you and family had made it to The Benz on the Green yesterday. Have posted a Vickers power steering pump stripdown video for your delectation. ;) You just have to keep moving forward -in the end I think that's all any of us can do. Hope the impending radio therapy helps alleviate your symptoms and makes life a bit easier.:thumb:

Bruce what can i say . I have never met you .But as we talked over the phone, then i felt as if you had been a part of my life from day one. All our best wishes go to you . And i know it will be the thoughts of every one on the forum . And i bet you , that this top guy your about to meet, knows more about the problem than you think . And we all hope that the treatment your about to have is a winner . Good luck for next week , Trevor

Hopefully just a cleaning up operation Bruce. A few stragglers left behind after the initial victory.

Best wishes and just thinking how cool you looked in the BOTG photos yesterday.

Chris

Bruce

Thank you for having the courage to post your update.

I think you know that you are held in high regard on the Forum by many members and that your good humour and wit has brought you friends and admirers even amongst those, myself included who have not had the pleasure of meeting you. All journeys have setbacks, hopefully this is just another detour on the road to recovery.

Regards

David

Bruce, just keep on fighting fella ;) I was thinking of changing the saltire that I put up for DRUK, but it's going to be staying up there for you. I have the utmost admiration for the way you have dealt with your life changing health problems. Go on Bruce get up and at em!!:p

Bruce, We have never met,but I always enjoy reading your posts,which I look for each time I log on.
I am so sorry to read your post and I send you my very best wishes in your fight to overcome yet another setback.
I`ll be thinking of you.

Bruce, when I was diagnosed in 2008 I was told that my "chances of being alive in 3 years are 50-50". Well, I guess I was in the lucky half... good things can and do happen. My best wishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom