My car is useless in the snow!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cjab98

Car
G55 AMG and Ghibli 2.8GT
After the couple of inches of snow we got last night, I thought I'd go out for a quick spin.
But the journey didn't last very long as the C43 just wouldn't get up a slight incline with a bit of snow. Had to leave the car in a car park till it melted this morning!
I guess RWD, 304BHP, a slushmatic and Michelin Pilot Sport's 245 wide aren't the best combination for snow:D
Might have to invest in some snow tyres if we have a proper winter this year....

After the couple of inches of snow we got last night, I thought I'd go out for a quick spin.
But the journey didn't last very long as the C43 just wouldn't get up a slight incline with a bit of snow. Had to leave the car in a car park till it melted this morning!
I guess RWD, 304BHP, a slushmatic and Michelin Pilot Sport's 245 wide aren't the best combination for snow:D
Might have to invest in some snow tyres if we have a proper winter this year....

Cue lots of chelsea tractor drivers being very smug:)

You would be surprised at just how useless a 4x4 is when fitted with wide, low profile road tyres.

The car isn't useless in the snow.........

Pose-ability vs practicability. How many times have we discussed the impracticalities of wide, low profile tyres on our public highways and bye-ways. The silly season has only just begun and the car repair shops are rubbing their hands with glee.

John

Buy a pair of autosocks ... about £70 - should get you up the hill and home....

I once made the mistake of assuming my old 4wd would drive as normal in a few inchs of snow - it seemed to work on telly when the farmers were wandering around their snowy fields in 50 year old landrovers.

Cue me outside the house setting off for work:

Electronic gizmos to clear windows of snow - check
Engage 4wd - check
Smug look on face - check
Confident wave to Missus at house window - check

Bottom of the road, turn left, gentle hill down to junction - totally out of control, 3 ton of metal gathering speed at an alarming pace. No longer remotely smug driver quietly whimpering at the thought of the junction which was rapidly approaching!

Thankfully I shot across the road and managed to gain control and slow things right down until I reached gritted roads.

I'm sure none of you need reminding that no motorway friendly vehicle is going to be any use on snow.

Cheers

About 10 yrs ago used to live on a hill (The Park in Notts if anyone knows it). Its all private and snow clearance is provided, at a cost ..obviously, by the council..which means that when there is snow they are busy clearing the main roads & it doesn't get done ..Anyway, on the way to work one morning came down the hill to turn left at the bottom and slide neatly between two cars, couldn't pull out forwards...or backwards. The more I tried the more the car got jammed up against the kerb. How in that name of all that is holy I managed it, without hitting anything, is beyond me. Had to leave the car there for a while, either until enough snow melted or one of the other cars left..can't remember which.

BTW, power doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference, I find that even my 200K is pretty crap in the snow, its either all ABS or ESP

Jon

Last edited:
Snow Tyres+ Narrower (steel) Wheels= Sorted.

Snow Tyres+ Narrower (steel) Wheels= Sorted.
I think we could learn so much by just looking at the tyres on a rally car. These drivers go beyond any limit that has a limit and those low profile tyres and wheels are not worth one penny. Snow tyres are brilliant and it is a no brainer if you expect any snow, but narrow wheels is a must and whilst fitting them it might be advisable to cost in some decent winter tyres.

John

If you change the spec of the wheels is this a modification and does it have to be reported to the insurers? I can see it now ....a crash and the assessor spots "non standard wheels"......one rejected claim.......:mad:

As I have said before, in Sweden my 1928 RR shod with 21" x 5" wide tires went anywhere in the Snow, here I am doing a wedding and the other one shows my 280TE with the RR in the garage

Last edited:
My Chelses tractor has a button that you are supposed to press when it snows.
It's completely useless as it stops you from spinning the wheels and having fun.
Why the manufacturers put these useless features on cars is beyond me.

the C43 just wouldn't get up a slight incline with a bit of snow.

Did you have the gearbox in 'W' mode?

I had to drive my R129 up a slight slope on short, wet grass a few years back. Driving as gently as possible it didn't make it. I stopped, put the gearbox in W and off we went ... no problem. I was very surprised at the difference.

I also think the handbook says to be prepared to turn ASR off on snow/ice.

This is what my Vito's handbook says
It may be best to deactivate ASR in the following situations:

• if snow chains are being used
  • in deep snow
  • on sand or gravel
If you deactivate ASR:

• the engine torque is not restricted and the drive wheels can spin, cutting into the surface for better traction
  • traction control still intervenes by braking if one drive wheel reaches its grip limit, e.g. if the surface under one side of the vehicle is slippery. The wheel is then braked to increase traction in this situation.
  • ESP® still intervenes to stabilise the vehicle

He He He:D
But surely it is people like me driving chelsea tractors about that is obviously the only cause of global warming, therefore we should in theory not have snow:confused: :confused: :confused:

He He He:D
But surely it is people like me driving chelsea tractors about that is obviously the only cause of global warming, therefore we should in theory not have snow:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think the pundits would say that global warming is melting the ice cap - forcing the gulf stream further south and therefore losing the UK its mild moderate winter temps........................therefore snow.

That's if you buy into the Global warming theories

Did you have the gearbox in 'W' mode?

I had to drive my R129 up a slight slope on short, wet grass a few years back. Driving as gently as possible it didn't make it. I stopped, put the gearbox in W and off we went ... no problem. I was very surprised at the difference.

I also think the handbook says to be prepared to turn ASR off on snow/ice.

Yes I did switch the gearbox to Woman mode.
Also tried it with and without ESP, and tried reversing up the slope but still no good.

I knew the car was never going to be any good in snow, but didn't expect it to be that hopeless!

If I had winter tyres, or even just tyres with a narrower section and deeper grooves, it would have made it.
There was a Transit van struggling on the same slope, and he gave up too as he was going nowhere. Also saw an artic go up, he struggled with lots of wheelspin but eventually made it, no idea if he was full or empty though.

If you change the spec of the wheels is this a modification and does it have to be reported to the insurers? I can see it now ....a crash and the assessor spots "non standard wheels"......one rejected claim.......:mad:

Good point- best to stick to MBs recommended winter tyre spec as per handbook. They will be narrower(slightly)--- think rears same width as front wheels on a staggered wheel width setup like AMG and the tyres will probably be speed derated to H or V

I didn't think of that one.
Just checked the handbook, it says winter wheels are 215 wide rather than the 245 I currently have.

Yes I did switch the gearbox to Woman mode.

cough cough!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom