My CLK320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hey guys!

After purchasing my CLK320 in 2016, I thought it was finally time to post a thread on it; detailing all the work I have done to it.

I saw the car advertised on Autotrader, around 30 mins from my house and we headed over straight away.

It had the AMG kit, the nice 3.2L M112 engine, brilliant silver metallic paint, 18'' wheels & COMAND.

The car was in clean condition, the negatives were that it had stone chips on the bonnet, and some rust on the rear bootlid and arches. Furthermore the top of the bootlid had a matt finish, therefore probably had been cheaply repaired at home?

The car also had some 'half AMG' badges, :doh: do not worry those have now been removed :D

IMG_9104.png

IMG_9191.jpg

IMG_9193.jpg

This thread is backdated a few months, so will be updating everything with time. Hope this is interesting for you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Next thing was to get the car to a bodyshop,

Unfortunately I would not be happy with result and had to have the work redone.

This is how I got the car back

IMG_0201.png

Can anyone spot the issue?

They had masked under the 3rd brake light rather than removing it. Leaving a peeling effect, and had failed to remove the badges and hence paint under them. I was really disappointed and in the end had the work redone at another shop.

IMG_0202.png

To be honest, it wasn't that noticeable. I however am a freak for detail, and wanted everything to be perfect. So this just wouldn't do. I took the loss and payed out for another bodyshop to redo this.

Using the car daily on the motorway through the winter, the salts had caused the rear left wheel arch to start bubbling up (the con of owning a 2000's merc :( )

image.jpg

The alloys were also dying for a refurbishment.

As well as this a careful ******* in a car park had either opened their door into the rear left bumper or scraped it

image.jpg

Decided this was a good time to get the car down to the bodyshop, and have all of this corrected.

This was also a good time to have those horrible 'half amg' badges removed :)

image-1.png

image.png

I got a 744 touch-up pen, and corrected the stone chips on the bonnet. It was clear this car had spent a lot of its life on the motorway :)

image.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018-01-02_at_17.53.27.png

Next up to be updated was the old dashbord..

The 2003 cars had a very ugly centre console, with old style switches and buttons...

I stumbled across Killerhertz on this forum and messaged him...

He was very helpful and agreed to carry out the 'facelift' upgrade for me. So I headed over to ASM Auto-recycling (Oxford) and picked up the climate control/upper switch gear from an 04 car for £66. I also bought a Kenwood Radio unit & Cabling (this has now been changed to Pioneer)

His thread (My Modification Service: W209 CLK Complete Interior Facelift)

Karl was great, did a cracking job and is a very nice guy!

During Karls Mod work (photo credit to Killerhertz) :
IMG_0718_zpsewnedyco.jpg

IMG_0738_zps3jlqivfg.jpg

Finished:
aps3_zpsb6dkavz7.jpg

Karl, also painted the callipers silver & repaired the rear arches rust..

Credit to Killerhertz:
aps7_zpspvpqmrgn.jpg

He even gave it a complementary wash :)

Pioneer SPH-DA120 App Radio installed at COMAND UK, highly recommend this unit and the team at COMAND for fitting.

Forgive those disgusting finger-print on the display :( promise that wasn't me :p

IMG_3135.jpg

Pioneer SPH-DA120 App Radio installed at COMAND UK, highly recommend this unit and the team at COMAND for fitting.

Forgive those disgusting finger-print on the display :( promise that wasn't me :p

IMG_3135.jpg

Alloys refurbished...and hubs painted

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg

OEM Centre Caps fitted...

IMG_2906.jpg

Last edited:
I fully detailed the car...

Clayed, washed with megs gold, polished, waxed with bilt&hamber... all glass cleaned and sealed..

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3416.jpg

Chrome Pedals bought from Alps fitted...

IMG_3399.jpg

Headed over to Northampton welding to have all 4 wheels checked for buckles and to ensure they were all running completely true.

1 hour later, all 4 wheels had been repaired. Tyres removed, put on hydraulic press, and refitted/balanced.

£144 for all 4.

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_9094.jpg

For months now the car has had an intermittent xenon light issue...

Randomly one light wont start up, a couple restarts may or may not get it going...

After it successfully drove me mad for months finally got it resolved..

Found an ignitor update kit released my merc, stating that 03 igniters were faulty..

There were luckily exactly 2 kits left in stock in the UK, one in Yorkshire & one in Beaconsfield.... a few hundred miles later we had both kits in our hands.

IMG_0305.jpg

Then off to Terry @ Wayne Gates to fit them... (highly recommended)

After fitting all good and Xenons working brilliantly....

For reference; Parts kit was £150 each... (including soldering connnectors) Parts number can be seen in photos

I can email the PDF to anyone on request (too large to upload)

WGMB sorted out the MOT today.

IMG_7848.png

IMG_1585.png

Screen_Shot_2018-01-02_at_18.05.05.png

Got new brakes and pads all round fitted (OEM Parts) , as well as a new castor arm/droplink and parking brake clip... Furthermore got 2 new goodyear asymmetric tyres fitted for the fronts....

Polished the headlamps again using the Quixx Kit... (yes I used Parcel tape but it was all I had ;) )

IMG_8554.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

Went to Wayne Gates for MOT inspection...

Again highly recommend Terry, he is brilliant!

IMG_7848.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

Got new brakes and pads all round fitted (OEM Parts) , as well as a new castor arm/droplink and parking brake clip... Furthermore got 2 new goodyear asymmetric tyres fitted for the fronts....

Cheers

More to come :thumb:

Hope you found it interesting.... I have had a bit more work done which I have yet to document :)

More to come :thumb:

Hope you found it interesting.... I have had a bit more work done which I have yet to document :)

I'm finding it very interesting because as you know I'm looking for the same model.
Is this the second time you have done the headlights since buying the car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great work Abs, lovely car, keep the updates coming! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom