My CLS55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why the fronts Karl and not the secondary? or are you thinking of fitting sports CATS?

My old E55 had res box and secondary CATS removed with str8 through X-pipe, no difference around town at all, but when you floored the loud pedal, nice deeper roar:thumb:

Removed the centre resonator, will most likely get the front cats de-catted :)

Last edited:
Why the fronts Karl and not the secondary? or are you thinking of fitting sports CATS?

My old E55 had res box and secondary CATS removed with str8 through X-pipe, no difference around town at all, but when you floored the loud pedal, nice deeper roar:thumb:

I think you unleash more bhp from removing the front ones

Not sure about that, I would be more concerned about noise levels if I had no front CATS and emissions for MOT...as far as I am aware the secondary CATS don't do that much anyway.

I think you unleash more bhp from removing the front ones

De Badge???

My GF was in the car behind me on the trip back from the sellers (150 Miles) - both of us in the slow lane. She said around 15-20 cars slowed down to look at me as they passed by :D

This evening, I was getting tail gated by some young yobbo in his Astra VXR, (fast enough car in its own right) until we got to some lights. As soon as they went Green I floored it, until he was a small speck in my RVM. a couple of miles later he caught up again as we were next to each other at another set of lights, I glanced over only to get a big thumps up from him. Thats a 1st! :D :D :D

Take the badges off and I'll bet there will be few more surprised GTI kids out there. :devil:

Enjoy the car.

Latest mod :)

IMG_0627_zpsvzkg1ela.jpg

Couple of TEST videos on my YouTube channel - see my signature below for the link. If theres interest I might start selling these modules :)

Test fitting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgKvDG6UYZA

[YOUTUBE]xgKvDG6UYZA[/YOUTUBE]

Further detail with yours truely talking to the camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1TRNx-U2dE

[YOUTUBE]j1TRNx-U2dE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I would be interested in these Karl, once I get my hands on some FL rear lights!

I would be interested in these Karl, once I get my hands on some FL rear lights!

Cool, ill your name to the list.

Its not a cheap mod - Trade price for rear clusters are £196 (each) from MB.

One is on its way from the Fatherland as I type this, I will create a Howto / video and full photos when they arrive. :thumb:

Are you reselling Frenchy's units or competing with him?

The second light unit arrive this morning and so I fit the lights :)

Expensive mod, however does update the car nicely. Ill take some night shots/videos soon.

IMG_0628_zpsn5cshjrx.jpg

IMG_0641_zpsswun7bzp.jpg

IMG_0652_zpsumxcs5y6.jpg

Facelift on left, original on right.

Video here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

[YOUTUBE]/ORXpQpoy2qY[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Hi,
I have been looking at doing this mod for a good while but always had other things to pay out for, looks good Karl.
Did the new lights come with new seals?

Yep, new seals. It was a tough job getting them to sit flush however as the seals (new) aren't compressed like the old ones, in time it should sit better. I'll keep an eye on them and tighten if required.

Karl,
Do you have the Pt. No.'s for the rear lights to hand? :thumb:

PM'd you :)

A week or so ago, Aidan (M2287) brought around his amazing W220 S55 AMG LWB,

IMG_4718.jpg

he mentioned that he was going to replace his Supercharger pulley bearing as it wasnt spinning enough due to wear and tear. He suggested he checked mine and after removing the belt give it a spin, it barely managed half a turn :eek:. Mercedes with their AMG tax would ask a good couple of hundred £ for a replacement pulley, however Aidan had just bought a new bearing unit off eBay for the pricely sum of £2.

Fast forward a week, my replacement bearing had arrived. he had mentioned that together with his mate Marcus, they had replaced the bearing and offered to do mine. Tonight I went around and they replaced it for me, however as nothing is ever easy, my pulley is different then his 03 55k for some reason, mine is encased in another ring which after alot of grief we managed to remove/replace. - Cheers guys!

Now for all I know its always been like that since I bought the car 2 and a half years ago, as I havent ever driven any other AMGs I cant say I had noticed the car being slow so have no basis of comparison. It maybe placebo effect, but the car feels not only a hell of a lot faster, but also smooth. time will tell...

On another note, both cars are 55ks, but sound different. both have had their centre resonators removed however I would describe mine as being 'Harsh' where as his 'deep' :)

If anyone is interested, the bearing you need is:
6200 SERIES (ZZ & 2RS) POPULAR METRIC BALL BEARINGS SELECT YOUR SIZE | eBay (6203Z)

Last edited:
Did you use the right size bearing as the ones in the EBay add seem different to OEM. Was yours an RS bearing? Strange that your old bearing was sleeved into position, from this my guess would be a smaller bearing had been used.

Used 6203Z size which was written on both the OEM and the replacement. Identical size :thumb:

Karl, Are we talking about the main Supercharger drive pulley bearing? (the one that gets swapped out for smaller when tuning) Or the Double pulley to the left (as you look at the engine), the mains Charger Pulley normally has one really wide bearing.
6203 size bearing is the ones that are used in the other pullies.

One to the left (double) :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom