My CLS55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ahh ok, all mine are rattling, after approx. 6,000 miles, all brand new ASP Pullies, all Bearings now need replacing including the belt wrap kit pullies :( .
I have made a start buying new bearings and have bought the tensioners ones, need to check the double pulley size, (what you have just replaced) though I think they are the same as the ones you have quoted, but as they are ASP Pullies I want to sight the bearing number before I buy in case it is different.
This also might explain the difference between your pulley and the S55K pulley, as I have a notation that there was a pt. no. difference at some point between the early/late engines (yours being the later engine, it also might if the S55K was to buy new from MB, they would get the same as yours.

all my ASP bearings also need replacing, they have lasted 4 years so far and are giving some slight squeeks initially when doing a cold startup.

there are different bearings for the double idler and the tensioner.

I`ll get round to them when I have a spare few hours.

It was the idler bearing we replaced.

The bearing fits straight into the pulley on my S55K but on the CLS it had a sleeve, no bother it still went in OK and at £2 for the bearing it's much cheaper than the £160 for a cheap eBay knock off pulley!

Interesting that the cars have the same exhaust mods but sound really noticeably different!

So basically the twin idler pulley bearings can be replaced ? That's marvellous news - the price of the twin idler pulley set up from MB is eye watering (£600+)

A rubber mallet!

Seen as Photobucket has destroyed my thread, im gonna have to attach photos for the meanwhile.

Latest mod:

Front grill AMG badge off current AMG models. Stickaflex'd and cable tied/drilled into place. fully removal if required.

Also Carbon Fibre wrap in centre secton to cover up stone chips :D

Subtle enough IMO - Opinions? :D

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Seen as Photobucket has destroyed my thread, im gonna have to attach photos for the meanwhile.

Latest mod:

Front grill AMG badge off current AMG models. Stickaflex'd and cable tied/drilled into place. fully removal if required.

Also Carbon Fibre wrap in centre secton to cover up stone chips :D

Subtle enough IMO - Opinions? :D

Love it :D

Im in the V8 Club! Picked this Beast up yesterday, 2005 with 88k on the clock.:bannana::bannana::bannana:

Overall needs some TLC, a couple of scratches here, some stone chips there. inside needed a major clean. I have only had time for the basic wash/hoover but already its looking a better motor.

The Power, OMFG...! its obscene.:eek::eek::eek:

-Obsidian Black
-Black Leather/Alcantara
-18" AMG Style IV Alloys
-Harman Kardon Surround system with iPod controls
-COMAND

Managed 26.4 Mpg on a long drive today, which included a fair number of pedal down/world going in reverse moments :thumb::thumb::thumb: 30 is my goal.

Eagled eyed members might notice the lack of rear lip spoiler, it would appear its had a new bootlid perhaps in its past? stolen? minor crash? as a result the remote boot release opens it at about 50mph :D

Planned Mods: (in no order)
-Facelift 'arrow' style wingmirrors
-OEM Illuminated Sills
-Facelift front Grill
-OEM Rear lip Spoiler
-Rear diffuser - if I can find one that doesnt look like it just glued on/out of place

cls2_zps1daada75.jpg

cls1_zps7f013e74.jpg

cls4_zps00eef8ad.jpg

cls3_zps33893789.jpg

One thing I will add, the interior quality compared to the W209 (non AMG spec W209) are worlds apart, CLS has Church door levels of solidness. you feel so cocooned in the CLS that you dont realise how fast you are actually going.

Thanks to Sean aka C240Sport97 for advice on CLS55's

Hi KH. Did you stick to 98 or 95 RON? Notice any difference? I don't have the correct manual for mine but a slightly later 2006 one online says 95 ron only in emergencies and mpg will be lower. But the fuel filler only says unleaded only and nothing about super unleaded. Basically I ask because if the only detriment is loosing a few BHP then that's no big deal, but if it is harmful they obviously I'll stick to the 98 stuff. My mpg on the first tank is 18 mpg at an average speed of 26 mph - hope this increases on longer runs!

Hi KH. Did you stick to 98 or 95 RON? Notice any difference? I don't have the correct manual for mine but a slightly later 2006 one online says 95 ron only in emergencies and mpg will be lower. But the fuel filler only says unleaded only and nothing about super unleaded. Basically I ask because if the only detriment is loosing a few BHP then that's no big deal, but if it is harmful they obviously I'll stick to the 98 stuff. My mpg on the first tank is 18 mpg at an average speed of 26 mph - hope this increases on longer runs!
The CLS55 fuel filler cap is wrong. It's for generic petrol engined cars. The handbook says 98 ron but you can go down to 95. On 95 you shouldn't use full throttle. I'll use 95 if I'm in trouble but only 1/4 tank until I can get the full fat stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom