My CLS55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good job. At twenty squideroonies a pop it's an expensive "cream". Can I ask how many lights it will do?

And will toothpaste do the same:D

Worth £20 I reckon as you get various grades of sandpaper as well as the 'mop' drill bit adaptor:

IMG_4642_zpse91214b2.jpg

I reckon I have enough for 1 more car, so in all 3 cars worth :)

The quality is down to how you polish it, my drill is extremely fast so made the job easy.

Not too fast Karl, you'll burn the plastic!

Low speed would be better I think.

Low speed would be better I think.

I did low speed on my CLK, took nearly an hour!

I disagree, High speed is best! as long as you keep topping up the cream and monitor the temp.

Firstly, welcome to the select club, we certainly seem to be the proudest group on here.

Did you do the whole headlight or just where the sun damage was and if partial can you see an edge where the intact coating ends?

Please replace those iridium monstrosities with some Silvervisions :)

Last edited:
Firstly, welcome to the select club, we certainly seem to be the proudest group on here.

Did you do the whole headlight or just where the sun damage was and if partial can you see an edge where the intact coating ends?

Please replace those iridium monstrosities with some Silvervisions :)

It was just the top section of the light which was effected, rest of the headlight was fine. no visible edge at all.

The slivervisions will be added soon :)

It was just the top section of the light which was effected, rest of the headlight was fine. no visible edge at all.

The slivervisions will be added soon :)

Good to know thanks... on both counts :)

Mine has a little bit right at the top like yours on one of them and I'd thought about polishing it out but didn't want to have to take the coating off the front of the light which is fine, all the vids online seem to take a really drastic all over approach but to be fair the lenses on them are opaque.

Coincidently mine had iridium indicators on the front when I bought it too which was slightly bizarre knowing the two previous owners, neither of which were the type you would think even noticed there were bulbs in there!

Look forward to the next instalment.

Last edited:
What is the RPM of your drill?

Not sure, its from 1988 and been with family ever since, its a Black&Decker Hammer drill 550w (mains)

Says on it: 2600/3000/Min - is that the RPM?

Rather than modding my CLS, I have been tidying up the various knocks/scraps in order to bring it up to my standard :)

The front grill had been bashed in slightly in the past, you cant really tell in this photo but up close it was pushed into the engine bay about 5cm, twisted and distorted. note the bottom centre clip has been snapped off:

cls1.jpg

cls10.jpg

I removed the grill (breaking some of the clips in the process) and proceeded to straighten the grill by eye until I was happy with the result, purchased a full set of new clips from MB, now looks as good as new IMO :)

cls3.jpg

cls4.jpg

Next up, I decided to cover the faded OEM rear diffuser with some Vinyl wrap as it had lost its colour and gone grey. In future I can always remove it should I change my mind:

cls4a.jpg

Unfortunately I didnt have a piece long enough for the entire length, however its virtually impossible to find the join now:

cls6.jpg

cls7.jpg

cls8.jpg

Note the very dark tinted rear window :rock:

And last but not least, replaced the awful chrome blue indicator bulbs with Philips Sliver visions £9 delivered from ECP :bannana:

cls9.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Karl, welcome to the 55K club.

Car looks great on the pics above, can't see the earlier ones as you're limit on Photobucket has be reached. Enjoy! :rock:

liking the carbon fibre wrap .. can you do mine :)

Looking good Karl

liking the carbon fibre wrap .. can you do mine :)

Great idea Karl. Maybe we can do a group buy and GTG Sean :rolleyes: ;)

Very nice can also do headlights with a machine polisher if you have one. I must admit these are a performance bargain now and look very classy.

Next up, I decided to cover the faded OEM rear diffuser with some Vinyl wrap as it had lost its colour and gone grey.

Strangely, I noticed mine was grey a few days ago.

Is it normally black?

I'm thinking about the wrap thing - how much does that vinyl wrap you've got cost?

Congrats! Certainly a major improvement over the CLK.

I was just looking at the pictures and noticed something odd... Is the car running on 4 front wheels or wrong tires at the back?

Photo comparison:
Fotos-de-Mercedes-Benz-CLS-55-AMG-2005-75000-km_453006697_1.jpg

cls2_zps1daada75.jpg

Congrats! Certainly a major improvement over the CLK.

I was just looking at the pictures and noticed something odd... Is the car running on 4 front wheels or wrong tires at the back?

Yes, it does look as though the rear tyres are 10mm or 20mm skinnier than they should be. It does look like the correct staggered rear wheel though to me in that comparison.

Yep, think your right. Was mentioned on another forum. Tyres don't have that much life left on them so will replace with correct size then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom