My Dashcam Good Deed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Was driving home from a bit of shopping at the weekend and along a road near to me. As you'll see form the pictures, it's fairly narrow but two cars can pass easily provided they stick to their side of the road.

Anyway, the car pictured below for some reason decided she'd drive down the centre of the road and around cars! Fortunately she managed to avoid the 2 tone silver saloon car I was in!

Div_zpsrmbkeb62.jpg

As you'll see in the picture, up ahead there's a car braking and as I approached him I could see his wing mirror totally obliterated. So I pulled up alongside the guy and asked if he'd the people carrier had just hit his mirror.

I got the chap to follow me back to my house as we were only two minutes round the corner. I took his contact details and told him I'd check my dashcam as it should have caught her car and maybe the incident.

Low and behold it did and you can actually see the point where she swerves round him although can't make out the impact fully. There's no need to swerve or drive around cars on that road so she'd just been driving down the centre. :wallbash:

Totally oblivious the woman just carried on driving leaving this guy's car looking like this. :eek:

AB85FABE-5DD1-429F-845B-D32A903336E5_zps30i8ymn9.jpg

Felt very sorry for him as he was really shaken and mirror hit his window so hard it had left some nasty marks.

I ended up texting him over pictures from the dashcam and gave my details for the Police report. Hopefully she'll get a knock on her door for driving away from the scene of an accident!

So, ok there's plenty of dashcammers out there who drive like complete idiots but proof that they can actually be helpful even to other drivers. By the end of the day this chap had booked his car in to Halfords to have a dashcam fitted.

Love the plate :)

Please tell me you havent an upright star on your CLS?

There's a line that people look like their pets, seems that people also look/act like their car reg numbers.

You can see she's missing a door mirror

Div_zpsrmbkeb62.jpg

Isn't it hanging down by its wires ?

Wasn't sure if that was a reflection? Point being, the mirror is not attached to where it should be!

I initially wondered the same thing , but on zooming in , and also looking to the angle of incidence , where there's nothing it might be a reflection of , I think it's the loose door mirror .

Had it been left in the road , it would have been a nice piece of evidence to identify her car by if traced quickly enough .

Alex - any chance of posting the video clip for us ?

You are indeed correct, that is her mirror hanging by a wire from the side of her car!

I'd pop the video up but am just wairy of giving her reg plate in case it hinders this chaps insurance case etc. Anyone know if it would be problematic?

Love the plate :)

Please tell me you havent an upright star on your CLS?

Well I thought I'd give her, her own private plate which was more apt! :D

As for the star, no that's my E320 not the CLS haha. :thumb:

Fair point , perhaps best to leave it for now - until the claim goes through anyway .

You could do well running one of those number plate firms - I didn't pay any attention until someone else mentioned it .

With that damage to her own car , she can't have been unaware .

Given the reported manner of her driving , I'm now thinking she was driving under the influence of drink or drugs . Otherwise I'd be thinking her reasons for not stopping might be no licence , insurance , MOT .... take your pick .

In any case I'd hope the police would take an interest : I've twice in my life reported suspected drunk drivers to police cars which just happened to be stopped close by , and in both cases they were off like a rocket after them !

It really does make you wonder. My mum was in the front in my passenger seat and said the driver was deep in conversation as she went past!

Stupid thing is that if she'd stopped and argued the point, it's likely they'd both have driven away having to foot their own repairs. Mainly as it's hard arguing the toss on such a road without a witness.

I'm totally convinced she was badly position in the road. Have a quick look at these images from the video.....

Road position immediately after the accident
IMG_9963_zpscgg0dqkq.png

Started to move over as I approached
IMG_9964_zpse1rk9dbh.png

Assuming this is the positioning of the chap who stopped, I can't see how he had much option to avoid her.
IMG_9966_zpsldroddgo.png

As long as you have your wheels on the white line to your left, there's plenty of room for two vehicles to pass. It's also a 40mph road so people are usually quite cautions.

I suppose you'll always get one person who has no spacial awareness at all though!

This is somthing that is going to happen more and more with the size of UK Roads / the width of modern cars :(

To be honest there are a few roads round my way which are narrow like this but two cars can pass without issue. Provided they stay over.

Some people can't grasp that haha.

Living in the countryside as I do , a lot of our roads are even narrower - most people will slow down , even stop , and if need be either put two wheels onto the grass - or even REVERSE :eek:

These days, I always show down or pull over and stop if needs be, but it's amazing how big a proportion of drivers don't do that and whizz by clueless. Not sure if I didn't do that myself in my twenties though - so long ago I can't claim either way!

Well done OP for being so considerate to that other driver. You really supported him. Good job. Hopefully your evidence will swing it in his favour.

Once, barrelling south down a one-lane stretch of the A23 at night, another car doing the same towards me, whacked my mirror. I'm guessing the combined speed was over 140. By god was it a loud bang and an almighty shock. I pulled over with my wing mirror nowhere to be seen - it had ploughed into the B pillar on its way to infinity. The other driver didn't stop. I'm pretty sure he was over my side and knew it.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

One winters evening many years ago I drove from my home to pick up a friend from a nearby village to take back to my home village. There was snow on the verges & the road was wet. Returning along the road (which I was aware was wide enough for two cars to pass as I had driven along it minutes earlier) I could see headlights ahead. As I got closer I realised the driver (elderly gentleman) had stopped in the middle of the road. I slammed on my brakes, swerved onto the verge and contacted him offside wing to offside wing.
He got out and said I'm going to report this to the police and I need a witness. He marched off to a house approx 100yds away & dragged some poor sole away from his Saturday tea to be a witness:doh:
We exchanged details.
The following day I had a visit from Plod. Turns out the elderly gentleman was making all sorts of accusations & claiming the incident had brought on his wife's asthma, etc,etc.
Plod was sympathetic to me. He had measured the road and agreed that there was plenty of room for 2 cars to pass. However, as the old git was stationary, I crashed into him therefore it was my fault.

It a sad thing that so many people when it comes to car accidents lie through their teeth and refuse point blank to admit fault. That's where the likes of a dashcam can be a no claims bonus saver!

I recall an incident I had back in around 2006. I'm on a narrow road with cars parked on my side. It's clear ahead so I start passing a row of about 8 cars. Mr Volvo driver appears up ahead and instead just waiting for me he drives a half cars length maybe one cars length down and sits in front of me.

Rather than edge back and let me pass he then mounts the pavement to my right and as he dismounts he catches the back corner of my car. Then just carries on his way.

I spin the car round, catch up to him and flash until he pulls over. He denies it all until I point out the paint on his drivers door. :wall bash:

Still refused to acknowledge what he's done wrong but we exchanged details. I drove straight to my preferred bodyshop and got a quote (£350 worth of paint). I text him the cost which he refused and told me to go through insurance, which I did and successfully claimed!

I still can't quite fathom what the guys problem was with it all though. Young lad in a nice car? Just an aggressive middle aged snobby tw@t?

A dashcam would have made it so much easier though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom