My experiences with a GLE Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gurd63

Car
G63 19, 190e AMG, C36/43, E55, Countach, RS Cosworth, S350, CLA45, SL55 F1, 997 Turbo, RRS SVR 19
Afternoon all,

Week 1 with the GLE Coupe has just gone.

My 2012 E63 AMG went into Mercedes the other week due to the engine management light coming on. I took it into merc and they say they suspect that it was a wiring loom fault or the dreaded timing issue which is a known issue on the M157 engine!:doh:

Anyway, after telling Mercedes that I needed a car as I use the E63 everyday, they offered to give me a Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic AMG line through an external hire company. So obviously I accepted:rock:

Looks
Okay so regarding to the looks of the car, I've found it to be very much a love it or hate it car. Some people love the size and how different it looks to other cars (not including a particular BMW:rolleyes:), however some people do not like it at all. IMO I love the front, very aggressive and shouts get the **** out've my way haha. The back however... lets just say even Kim Kardasian would feel small next to this thing:D. Although, it is slightly growing on me.

Interior
Lovely. Fresh, feels modern, good quality materials and ambient lighting. The new ICE system is good however I think I still prefer the older 2014 style. And I haven't used that touch mouse pad thing as its just quicker and more accurate to use the traditional circular dial to navigate. The seats are great, supportive and comfy. Boot space is acceptable but no way like the Q7 due to the sloped back.

Drive
I already own a 2011 Audi Q7 so that was my benchmark and what I'm mostly comparing the GLE too. Honestly imo I think that the car drives very good for its size and weight, doesn't feel that heavy, the steering is light and oh so smooth. The 9 speed gearbox seemed a bit OTT when I heard about it but its a peach! The gear changes are seamless and makes the Q7 feel 10 years old.
The engine itself is pretty good, smooth and quiet on ignition, idle (I turn the auto-start off) and cruising. Upon acceleration it picks up speed pretty quick for a big girl, feels more then 260bhp however I think the gearbox has some play in that too.
In comfort mode the ride is tolerable, defo better than the 63:rolleyes:. It copes with bumps and pothole okay however sometimes it can feel as if it wants to rock side to side like a boat on an uneven road, I feel the Q7 deals with that better. Also, you only really sense the size of the car when you try to push it round corners. And can feel nose heavy under braking. Granted though this isn't a 63 so cant expect anything great.
Consumption wise its good but not great, again I think due to the weight and my heavy right foot at times:bannana: the average mpg is 30-35. Our 14 E350 Blutech is far better when driven the same. The tank is also quite small which can be annoying.

Done over 500miles in a week (came with just 24!!):rolleyes:

Overall yes a very nice new Mercedes, looks wise hmmm still has to grow on me. Handling could be better but very good gearbox, interior and engine.

But I miss the E63 :(:(:(

Wow!!! Fancy puddle lights? Never seen those before.

Other than that I'm not so keen. No doubt it's an amazing motor but it's too much a 'Look at me' kinda car. Bit of a bully car.

I've never understood the allure of these huge monsters.

Ant.

The puddle lamps are indeed a smart feature, the image on the ground is crystal clear of nearly all surfaces too.

And agreed, not Range Rover enough for light off roading and not Q7 enough to kart good amounts of junk with the rear seats down.

you can buy those puddle lamps on ebay for £15 - £20 a pair, exactly same and sit in the lower door card light, using original connectors and fitting housing perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm really not keen on these GLE Coupes.

They do look terrible in photos but are a lot more palatable in the flesh, the back end is still a mess though, just not as much.

Interesting that you compare it to the Q7, I'd never really thought of them as competitors really but having thought, besides the 7 seats, they're similar yes. As its a carbon copy of the X6, I'll assume the boot is next to useless? The boot in my Q7 was ridiculously small for a vehicle of that size, they're like a reverse tardis!

I'll be interested in an update when it goes back, these are my types of motor and it's always good to get an unbiased independent review.

The reason for comparing the two is because the Q7 is the only 4x4 suv I've properly lived with on a day to day basis. Although if I had experienced an X6 then that would be the closest comparison.

The boot is pretty much useless on this. And you think? For what I need the Q is pretty much perfect size wise, having lived with my brothers Range Rover for a bit I can't really think of a luxury branded SUV with an easy of space like the Audi?

I think it's more about the slop of the roof, both at the front and back, that makes it feel smaller than it looks. If the boot floor was dropped even just six inches it would make a big difference, it was as though the two seats in the boot were an afterthought hence it has a high loading height.

I found both the Q7 and the X5 essentially big estate cars injected with steroids; both were very car like to drive but woeful on anything other than Tarmac.

Agreed, the Q7 has a long boot but not wide or deep. The Q7 does drive more like a car for sure but tbh I quite like that aspect of it, not rolley polley around corners.

Very tempted to drive a newer RR Vouge as I've heard they're sublime.

We ordered a GLE suv and awaiting delivery. I was wondering what the puddle light looked like in the dark, impressive.
I took one look at the gLE coupe, it was a clear no, then I just happened to ask re its price, about 10k more than the SUV, no chance. However, I almost a senior citizen, ie 56, so a coupe may be more of a car for a man in his 40, eraly 40's.
Thank you for sharing your finding and the pics of other nice cars.

I wonder if it is a car that we will get used to in time?

I got used to the Evoque and E60 over time, I even bought one of them.

It has to be said however that in the flesh they are easier on the eye than in pictures... Still not a looker though

I love em!

So much more presence than any of the forementioned and the wild proportions just work IMO.

** Update on the 63...

Its the dreaded timing issue and also an electrical fault with the AMG suspension.

At first the dealership said that my Mercedes warrantee didn't cover the timing issue? After speaking with the director of another dealership, he managed to sort it out under the warrantee. Id have thought it would've been included in the first place?

They also mentioned an oil leak which may have resulted in the suspension fail with oil getting onto the loom:doh:

So looks as if I'm stuck with the tank for a while!

Gurd63 said:
The reason for comparing the two is because the Q7 is the only 4x4 suv I've properly lived with on a day to day basis. Although if I had experienced an X6 then that would be the closest comparison. The boot is pretty much useless on this. And you think? For what I need the Q is pretty much perfect size wise, having lived with my brothers Range Rover for a bit I can't really think of a luxury branded SUV with an easy of space like the Audi?

If you want an SUV get an ML63. My missus's W164 doesn't get overtaken by anything, she is competitive bless her.... It goes round hairpins on it's roof to be fair, and she gets about 15 mpg, but those Focus ST's? Ha! It loves those away from the lights, their little boy-racer boners soon go soft as a 40 year old woman boosts the loud pedal.... And it's got loads of space, it's the airport car. My C63 is alright for the shopping bags.....

Ahh its funny you say that because the other day I was talking about how I've never considered an ML when thinking about those kind of car, even though it is rightly in the same category.

I was looking at a non coupe GLE63 as I think that would be bringing together the best of both worlds. Real practicality and ear bleeding sound!:rock:

Quick update,

Three months later and I've still got the GLE :confused:

I love those, looks a real beast in a flesh.....not surprised you still have it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom