My mate Dave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancMike

Has got a mate called Mike and today I got flashed by a speed camera. :(

The A5013 just before it joins the M56 has a camera there. I do this journey every day and have done thousands of times. The limit went from 40 to 30 a couple of months ago, and since then I've been doing the new lower limit.

I've never normally got a passenger, though today I did, my Mrs and so was chatting and driving slightly "subconsciously". I checked my speed on approach to the camera and saw 39mph, so I didn't slow at all as for that moment it registered to me that I was just under the limit, so I'm ok. As soon as I saw the flash I realised it's a 30 now, just for that moment it'd slipped my mind. :doh:

What am I likely to face? I've only been caught once before, that was by a cop at the side of the road, I was doing 43 in a 30 and did a speed awareness course. That was a few years ago now and I've been a good boy since, until today!

According to this, there's a chance I could get a FPN? Rather than the contents of the table included which is considerably worse...

Speeding fines - how much you now have to pay | RAC Drive

Has got a mate called Mike and today I got flashed by a speed camera. :(

The A5013 just before it joins the M56 has a camera there. I do this journey every day and have done thousands of times. The limit went from 40 to 30 a couple of months ago, and since then I've been doing the new lower limit.

I've never normally got a passenger, though today I did, my Mrs and so was chatting and driving slightly "subconsciously". I checked my speed on approach to the camera and saw 39mph, so I didn't slow at all as for that moment it registered to me that I was just under the limit, so I'm ok. As soon as I saw the flash I realised it's a 30 now, just for that moment it'd slipped my mind. :doh:

What am I likely to face? I've only been caught once before, that was by a cop at the side of the road, I was doing 43 in a 30 and did a speed awareness course. That was a few years ago now and I've been a good boy since, until today!

According to this, there's a chance I could get a FPN? Rather than the contents of the table included which is considerably worse...

Speeding fines - how much you now have to pay | RAC Drive

You shouldn't get anything worse than a FPN, if it was 39 displayed on your speedo. Accurate speed would be a little less as speedos are normally slightly incaccurate. Compare your speedo to waze for instance...

I wonder what was the reason for the lowering of the limit...

Also if it's an older style camera someone needs to come and empty the film within 2 weeks?

If your last offence was over 3 years then hopefully you should get awa with a speed awareness course.

I wonder what was the reason for the lowering of the limit...

Because people keep getting killed crossing the road, sometimes careless pedestrians, sometimes careless drivers, sometimes both.

Accurate speed would be a little less as speedos are normally slightly incaccurate. Compare your speedo to waze for instance...
I know the speedo is a bit lower than reality, I might go and do 39 somewhere (that has a 40 limit durr o_O) and see what sat nav says the speed is.
Also if it's an older style camera someone needs to come and empty the film within 2 weeks?
You suggesting I have it emptied beforehand? ;) I've no idea, big rectangular Gatso type thing.

Here's a PDF on the increase from't council. 19_Princess_Parkway.pdf
New 30mph speed limit on Princess Road comes into force

Firstly I’d suggest waiting for a letter rather than speculating over its existence and content. There’s naff all you can do about it now.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, you’ve provided an example of how easily we all get distracted whilst driving. A lot is (rightly) made of the distractions caused by using hand-held mobiles, the consequences of which could be far worse than a speeding ticket with associated points. You’ve reminded us that talking to anyone, whether on a hand-held, hands-free or passenger, can take our minds off the more important process of driving safely. Nobody’s going to get prosecuted for talking on a hands-free phone or to a passenger, but don’t we all have the responsibility of ensuring we don’t lose focus on our primary task when behind the wheel?

I know, as said, I was aware of my surroundings, and aware there was a camera coming up, I was aware of road signs, etc. The failing was my mind when I checked my speed and was happy with it, so sailed across. It's as if my psyche was cast aback 6 months, just didn't register that 39 is now not Ok, like it has been all that time before.

You're right though, I'd never have made that mistake, like every other day driving home from work since April 30th this year, I've not made the mistake once, until tonight, with a passenger talking at me. :wallbash:

I've just checked and my speed awareness course was just under 3 years ago, so I won't be allowed to take another. Does that leave me with the 3 points and 50% weekly salary? Or is a FPN a possibility?

I'm going to go see what 39 actually is...

I did something similar not so long ago; I saw the camera and thought "it's OK, this is a 40 zone and I'm doing less than 40". - Imagine my surprise when I got a fine for doing 10mph over the limit.

I even went back to the scene, and there it was attached to a lamp post; 30 in a red circle.

Did the letter say exactly what speed you registered?

What chastisement did you endure?

I think the problem is the Mrs..........next time use duck tape to cover her mouth.......

For a whole range of reasons... there's a small chance you won't get fined.

Not all 'flashes' are processed. Some cameras are fake on purpose, other may have a malfunction, or the image isn't clear enough, etc.

So best to just wait and see.

Mike, please don't take the next comments personally: they're not a comment upon you or your driving or attitude.
I know, as said, I was aware of my surroundings, and aware there was a camera coming up, I was aware of road signs, etc. The failing was my mind when I checked my speed and was happy with it, so sailed across. It's as if my psyche was cast aback 6 months, just didn't register that 39 is now not Ok, like it has been all that time before.
So, what has changed regarding the risks of travelling at 39mph in those circumstances in the last 6 months? I'll wager that it's nothing. And that, in a nutshell, encapsulates everything that is wrong with rigid camera enforcement of arbitrary limits. And if you argue that the new 30mph limit really is appropriate, then sorry, but you must have been driving at an inappropriate speed in that locale in the past when the posted limit was 40mph.
I've just checked and my speed awareness course was just under 3 years ago, so I won't be allowed to take another. Does that leave me with the 3 points and 50% weekly salary? Or is a FPN a possibility?

I'm going to go see what 39 actually is...
As you are obviously a serial offender, you will be subject to the full force of the law. Assuming that you really do get the brown envelope arrive you will not qualify for another "speed awareness" course, and will be offered the option to take 3 points and a fixed penalty fine of £100.

There but for the Grace of God go most of us...

For a whole range of reasons... there's a small chance you won't get fined.

Not all 'flashes' are processed. Some cameras are fake on purpose, other may have a malfunction, or the image isn't clear enough, etc.

So best to just wait and see.

....I even remember reading (quite a few years ago) that some police forces said they did not process speeding offences because of shortage of resources for dealing with the admin work.

....I even remember reading (quite a few years ago) that some police forces said they did not process speeding offences because of shortage of resources for dealing with the admin work.
Not any more. Too much money to be made. But have your car striped in a carpark by someone who just f's off and "It doesn't warrant investigation".

A great way to keep the public on your side. Not. :rolleyes:

Mike, please don't take the next comments personally: Aww??! Spoilsport! they're not a comment upon you or your driving or attitude. Have you read what you've written? They're exactly about me my driving and I. So, what has changed regarding the risks of travelling at 39mph in those circumstances in the last 6 months? I'll wager that it's nothing. You're right. And that, in a nutshell, encapsulates everything that is wrong with rigid camera enforcement of arbitrary limits. What? The road preceding them slowly being lined in rubber? And if you argue that the new 30mph limit really is appropriate, then sorry, but you must have been driving at an inappropriate speed in that locale in the past when the posted limit was 40mph. As would everyone else? And no I never did argue that 30 is appropriate. As you are obviously a serial offender, Clean licence buddy, and if I was, I wouldn't have asked this question would I? you will be subject to the full force of the law. I got flashed doing 36 in a 30, I'm not going to Cell Block H. Assuming that you really do get the brown envelope arrive you will not qualify for another "speed awareness" course, and will be offered the option to take 3 points and a fixed penalty fine of £100.
There but for the Grace of God go most of us...

I've since been out with a GPS app and measured the speed. 39 in my car is actually 36, for whatever that's worth...

I've a couple of cameras on my daily commute that are in a 20mph zone. They are covered in mildew with trees growing in front of them now.
They're clearly not working, but folk still slow down for a hundred yards around them then speed back up (still in the 20) when they get out of range. Go figure.

I've since been out with a GPS app and measured the speed. 39 in my car is actually 36, for whatever that's worth...
It is probably worth a FPN if the camera is active

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom