My new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great car- its a very similar colour combo to my CL. I looked at these before buying it, but was put off somewhat by the horrendous bills some owners were faced with. Made large MB bills pale into insignificance! Decided that a lot more research was required before taking the plunge. What are the main problems you have to look out for on these?

The biggest is probably the 10cm vacuum pipe which is an engine out job!! There are a fair few other bits and bobs that can go wrong but we will see how it goes!

Looks great - impressive motor!

I am the same with the bills - they put me off it.

Hopefully your's will be a good one.

That looks stunning mate!!!

A man after my own heart!

With these types of cars the mantra I’ve lived by is expect the worse and hope for the best and at least you can always say you’ve owned a Bentley...

We are on the same wavelength for sure!!!

Congrats. Looking forward to hear your thoughts on the GT vs the CL (comfort, handling, usability).

They are very sexy cars.
One of my buddies has a 65 plate because he got bored of Range Rovers. His dad has a Bentayga because Range Rovers are common!!

My mate is the Donoghue as in Donoghue Skip Hire. Where there’s muck there’s brass.

My mate is the Donoghue as in Donoghue Skip Hire. Where there’s muck there’s brass.

You’re not wrong there mate. The Boss/owner of ‘Oak Bank Services’ in Dumfries (waste disposal/recycling/skip hire) flys himself into work everyday in his helicopter from his stunning place in the country.

You’re not wrong there mate. The Boss/owner of ‘Oak Bank Services’ in Dumfries (waste disposal/recycling/skip hire) flys himself into work everyday in his helicopter from his stunning place in the country.
Ha ha, I just googled the company and if I had all that dough Id at least change my bloody surname!!

So my thoughts of Continental Vs CL/s class after a few days of use, this is my first ever car write up so you may have to bear with me!

Power:
The AMG feels MUCH more aggressive (mine has a pulley, exhaust and remap) than the continental. The continental is fast but definitely doesn't feel as fast as the AMG in a straight line this is partly due to the effortless 4wd system and less aggressive exhaust note but it feels as if the continental looses a bit of power when at the top of the Rev range, I'm sure a remap will sort this out :). I would say that the continental is much more sure footed with 4wd and traction is much better than in the AMG which seems to wheelspin a lot, especially in this cold, wet weather. I would say the continental is faster to 40mph but after that the AMG would eat it for breakfast (could be wrong, this is just what my backside is telling me!).

Looks:
I think the w215 CL is one of the prettiest mercedes ever made but the front end is starting to really date, people think that the continental is a couple of years old when in reality it's a 2004 model! No one knew what the CL actually was, they could just tell that it was an AMG and looked powerful but everyone knows the Bentley! I have found that a lot more people let me out in the Bentley in situations when they probably wouldn't normally stop to let a car out.

Interior:
The interior of the Bentley looks better than the CL with the sportier look and chrome Finishings, I find the seats much comfier and the massage function is also better however that's where the positives finish! The mercedes is refined to another level... Auto moving seats allowing easy access to the rear seats isn't fitted to the Bentley, nor are soft close doors, nor the boot fully opening at the touch of a button. The dash and door card leather in the Bentley feels hard, there is no padding underneath unlike the Mercedes which feels much softer. Also to open the door from the inside you have to pull the handle twice as they auto lock but don't auto unlock, this does actually annoy me a bit!
I haven't bothered using sat nav in either cars as its so dated but the Bentley donesnt have a viseeo equivalent leaving the only Bluetooth options as a parrat or spending silly money on an integrated unit, I really don't like using the parrat unit and find the volume is too low even on the top setting.

Noise:
I am 99% sure that my Bentley has had exhauast work done by a previous owner, I need to get it on a ramp to see exactly what but I'd guess that the resonators have been removed as to me it sounds amazing, slightly louder than stock! Not aggressive and angry like the AMG but purposeful and refined.

Practicality:
Today I did a shop, 8 bags of food filled half the boot! My kids fit well in the back but you would struggle to get an adult in there! The CL had way more room which did surprise me when I first looked at the Bentley as it looks like a massive car.

Economy:
I'm averaging 9.8mpg over 300 miles.... This will go up, I think it says more about my driving than anything! I used to average around 15 in the AMG.

Overall, I'm happy with the move... The bentley is far from perfect but the looks and feel of the car win me over. I went from the CL55 (I loved this car) to the S55 which just didn't feel special to me whereas the continental really does.

So unfortunately the fun hasn’t lasted that long, I’ve had an EML come on which won’t reset... P1506 - engine mount solenoid valve. Sound like it has a bit of a boost leak but it still drives fine so god knows what it is!

Dealer is being great, they are going to sort it and give me a courtesy car although it won’t be a Bentley!

In other news I put my private plate on it today, I have also noticed that people seem to avoid parking next to it in car parks which is fantastic :)!

I presume from your pictures you bought it used from Bentley?

That warranty could well be worth it's weight in printer ink!

I presume from your pictures you bought it used from Bentley?

That warranty could well be worth it's weight in printer ink!

No, I bought it from Roy Humphrey prestige, one of his guys is ex Bentley.

The Bentley dealership is 2miles from my house, I drive past it virtually every day!

Thanks for the review. I miss the CL massively myself and reading your thoughts really reminded me how good that car was. I think you’re off to a good start with the Bentley and the dealer is cooperating which is great. Enjoy, they look great.

Thanks for the review. I miss the CL massively myself and reading your thoughts really reminded me how good that car was. I think you’re off to a good start with the Bentley and the dealer is cooperating which is great. Enjoy, they look great.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I get a CL again, well the w222 s class coupe, I love the look of them!

The dealer has been excellent so far. it’s always a worry when you have an issue with a new to you car, I called the sales manager at 7pm to explain the issue and the service department called me first thing the next morning to book me in. Fingers crossed it’s an easy fix!

Bit of an update, the rear spoiler wasn't raising and they have found a broken cable in the mechanism. They think the engine mount is a wiring fault somewhere... Hopefully they find the issue soon!

I'm the most impatient person in the world and I really want it back noooooow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom